Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best air rifle for long range?

best air rifle for long range?

hi what sub 12ft/lb air rifle do people on here think is best for long range plinking out to say 80,90,100 yards? im thinking either a rapid s-type, an air arms EV2 or a steyr. anyone have any of these and whats the accuracy like at these ranges? also whats the accuracy like on any other guns anyone owns at these ranges? thanks, dan.

All the rifles you mentioned have high quality barrels and are fine for what you want to do. Long range shooting of legal limit air rifles is largely a matter of estimating wind conditions. In other words-a great deal of luck!!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

are you going for FAC or sub 12? i think sub 12 are all in the same bowl, on the other hand if you are going FAC get something that can consistantly give you around 40-45ft/lbs for the amount of shots you want to take from one fill.
    if you want to go past 100yards, i suggest you get something like vermin hunter had setup around 50ft/lbs. im running mine at 57ft/lbs and will touch anything upto 150meters reliably... was filming some videos lately to putup over here.

Hi

you could also consider the Feinwerkbau and Anschutz models too

ATB

Phil
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

Quote Originally Posted by dan00001 View Post
    hi what sub 12ft/lb air rifle do people on here think is best for long range plinking out to say 80,90,100 yards? im thinking either a rapid s-type, an air arms EV2 or a steyr. anyone have any of these and whats the accuracy like at these ranges? also whats the accuracy like on any other guns anyone owns at these ranges? thanks, dan.
    hi mate if you want to go to that range your better off with a rimfire. even a fac powered air rifle at big ftlb wouldnt live with the grouping of a rimfire.

and even then at 100 yards you should be looking at hmr instead of 22lr.

Walther Dommie or Airwolf
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

Have no experience with 12 ft/lb guns but I have spent several years shooting long range with my FAC guns , it can be done to great success
    with patients , practice and the right conditions ...

All my shooting is done from benchrest with guns on bags

AirWolf has provided some sub MOA groups at 50 -62 and 100 yards
    SuperTEN many many groups just over MOA @ 70-84 and 90yards
    HW100 regularly shoots sub MOA @ 50 and 60 yards
    New Steyr only shot one group since buying it .625 @ 54 yards but I have high hopes for it once I get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    hi mate if you want to go to that range your better off with a rimfire. even a fac powered air rifle at big ftlb wouldnt live with the grouping of a rimfire.

and even then at 100 yards you should be looking at hmr instead of 22lr.
    mate, you are providing a good alternative or shall i say the most efficient way to shoot at that distance however i disagree with you, i've been shooting my FAC at long ranges for about 3 years now, i almost exclusively just do long range with my air rifle and its not luck as you suggest. you can realy work out everything if you have your equipement properly setup. im currently making a video of shooting FAC air rifles past 100meters, i will try to see if i can get everything out to 160meters. all the shots are planned, dialed and wind Estimated and dialed for. its either a first or second shot hit.

any less efficient round will teach you how to compensate for drop and windage, the 17hmr at that distance is 'point and shoot'
    shooting 308Win at 1000yards for example and estimating wind is a skill not luck. as with anything else luck does have its own percentage but to name it luck is a misnomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    All the rifles you mentioned have high quality barrels and are fine for what you want to do. Long range shooting of legal limit air rifles is largely a matter of estimating wind conditions. In other words-a great deal of luck!!
    Hi,
    As th man says.
    You can achieve with many lower priced rifles and springer but wind and estimation is critical.
    atb

just personal opinion but i find the stock makes quite a difference to how still you can hold the gun and even at 50-70 yards that really shows in groupings.

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Yes the stock plays a very very important role to the shooter.

As for long range shooting in 12ftlb a .20 or a .177 are very good for plinking at long range's, .22's and .25's are not.
    I'm forever blowing "Bubbles"

There are many things which come into the equation at long distance.
    Starting with the easy bits, gun fit as mention above, trigger control, reproducible hold off a stable platform, consistant mv, range finding. The not so easy bits are optimising the rifle power to the best pellet for best accuracy and maintaining it. The very difficult bit is reading the wind, not just at the muzzle. Sorted fac air will be deadly at 75yds in good conditions, but believe me though 100yds is only another 25yds further on it is a quantum leap to cross consistantly

neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Thumbs up Longrange

non FAC, go for a .177.

but I see nice grouping of a .22 JSB 16 grains @ 100 meters , 30 ft/lbs.

and the .25 JSB @ 900 ft/sec 40+ ft/lbs.

Take a lot of care, for the wind, and the canting of the rifle.

Shooting an air rifle at 100 meters, is like shooting the real stuff at 700 meters.

cheers, ewoodie.

Quote Originally Posted by flims View Post
    are you going for FAC or sub 12? i think sub 12 are all in the same bowl, on the other hand if you are going FAC get something that can consistantly give you around 40-45ft/lbs for the amount of shots you want to take from one fill.
    if you want to go past 100yards, i suggest you get something like vermin hunter had setup around 50ft/lbs. im running mine at 57ft/lbs and will touch anything upto 150meters reliably... was filming some videos lately to putup over here.
    Sorry there is NO WAY an air rifle at any power level is suitable for 'reliable' shooting at the distances you mention. Also your power suggestion is only suitable for a .25. The closest air rifle to a .22LR is one like Verminhunter's .25 running at nearly 50 ft lb. However, both these rifles are very wind-sensitive. Anyone who claims otherwise is deluding himself. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I speak as I find based on many years of shooting a variety of rifles including FAC Air.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

here we go again the age old it cant be done with sub 12ft the guy wants his air rifle for plinking not killing therefore the sub 12ft air rifle will hole cans at 100yards allowing for windage gravity and drop charecteristics of the pellet by weight force and gravity yes it is very hard to achieve PonP accuracy at 100yards or more sub 12ft air rifle but it can and indeed is being done out to 200yards 4/5 shots hitting as mentioned on earlier posts proven by video at that range to target on you tube
    maybe it is because everybody thinks that the sub 12ft rifle can only go 50 yards then thats it no further well i am sorry to burst your bubble but the max range for .177 for paper punching would be 301 yards in the right windage elevation power and accuracy of trajectory path of the pellet and still have enough energy to pass through paper target
    on the .22 distance that is 216yards to still carry enough force to pass through paper target this also has been proven by lots of sub 12ft airgun shooters trying to see exactly wheather or not it is possible the simple answer is go do it yourself and see

the answer to the threads question would have to be yes it is possible with skill and taking into account all conditions from the rifles power sub 12ft but no less than 10.3ft would indeed hit your plinking target in either .177 or .22 at 100yrds the best rifle for the job is the .177 due to its flater trajectory therefore maintaining more velocity/power futher in distance than the .22

i can personally use my EV2 .177, s410 .22, daystate mk4is .177,HW100s .177 HW97k .22, HW90 .22 and my air arms prosport .177 all hit 100yard targets both paper and knocking off cans at 100yrds the first 4 above mentioned rifles have also hit 150yards, 200yards targets the .177 targets i have hit 287yards through paper target and the grouping was large and wide but with lots of practice then no doubt eventually you would get close grouping as we all mainly dont regularly shoot under 150yards with air rifles and when somebody does do it you all say the same thing over and over again of "no way it's impossible" but you say that without going out and actually trying to do it and not just useing 5 shots use 500 before saying impossible then if you give it your very best to hit the target at that range ask everyone you know to try it
    my gun club range has 25 50 and 100yrd target sets both for smallbore and airgun can use it many times i have heard this said and everyone at my club knows that yes you can hit the target at 100yards easy with .22 and .177 and with practice and skill you can get very good grouping fair enough you would not sgoot quarry at that range but you can plink and practice at any distance provided you have space and permission to do so but before saying impossible the the words i say is "GO AND TRY IT AND TRY LIKE YOU MEAN IT NOT JUST 5 SHOTS AS YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED THAT RANGE BEFORE SO YOU ARE BOUND TO MISS QUITE A FEW SHOTS AS YOU NO DOUBT DID WHEN FIRST TRIED SHOOTING BUT PRACTICE LETS YOU GET THE 20 30 40 OR 55YRDS YOU SHOOT AT NOW SO WHY NOT PRACTICE 100YRD THEN TEST THE FURTHEST TARGET YOU CAN HIT BEFORE SAYING NO WAY "
    very dissapointed in the fact that we call ourselves shooters but are too quick to dissmiss what others have tried and are getting good at without trying it first moan over
    Not enough space to write the collection but 5 gun cabinets and a big shed does the trick
    "SHOOT IT, SKIN IT, COOK IT, EAT IT " and my favourite only a blind man says "i cant see the target in my scope" and is telling the truth