Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best air rifle for long range?

Quote Originally Posted by dan00001 View Post
    hi what sub 12ft/lb air rifle do people on here think is best for long range plinking out to say 80,90,100 yards? im thinking either a rapid s-type, an air arms EV2 or a steyr. anyone have any of these and whats the accuracy like at these ranges? also whats the accuracy like on any other guns anyone owns at these ranges? thanks, dan.
    best advice i can say is whatever rifle you have try it and see if you can become accurate with it at the ranges you seek as there are possible with almost all sub 12ft legal rifles dependant on conditions

if you had never used an air rifle before and the target is 100yards away for your shooting i bet you would soon learn to hit it everytime as the rifles can do beyond that the pellet just does not go 50 yards then hit the floor like most people seem to think
    all the rifles you mention can go the distance you just need the shooter that practices that distance all the time more than anyother then you get the results
    Not enough space to write the collection but 5 gun cabinets and a big shed does the trick
    "SHOOT IT, SKIN IT, COOK IT, EAT IT " and my favourite only a blind man says "i cant see the target in my scope" and is telling the truth

Quote Originally Posted by madandy View Post
    here we go again the age old it cant be done with sub 12ft the guy wants his air rifle for plinking not killing therefore the sub 12ft air rifle will hole cans at 100yards allowing for windage gravity and drop charecteristics of the pellet by weight force and gravity yes it is very hard to achieve PonP accuracy at 100yards or more sub 12ft air rifle but it can and indeed is being done out to 200yards 4/5 shots hitting as mentioned on earlier posts proven by video at that range to target on you tube
    maybe it is because everybody thinks that the sub 12ft rifle can only go 50 yards then thats it no further well i am sorry to burst your bubble but the max range for .177 for paper punching would be 301 yards in the right windage elevation power and accuracy of trajectory path of the pellet and still have enough energy to pass through paper target
    on the .22 distance that is 216yards to still carry enough force to pass through paper target this also has been proven by lots of sub 12ft airgun shooters trying to see exactly wheather or not it is possible the simple answer is go do it yourself and see

the answer to the threads question would have to be yes it is possible with skill and taking into account all conditions from the rifles power sub 12ft but no less than 10.3ft would indeed hit your plinking target in either .177 or .22 at 100yrds the best rifle for the job is the .177 due to its flater trajectory therefore maintaining more velocity/power futher in distance than the .22

i can personally use my EV2 .177, s410 .22, daystate mk4is .177,HW100s .177 HW97k .22, HW90 .22 and my air arms prosport .177 all hit 100yard targets both paper and knocking off cans at 100yrds the first 4 above mentioned rifles have also hit 150yards, 200yards targets the .177 targets i have hit 287yards through paper target and the grouping was large and wide but with lots of practice then no doubt eventually you would get close grouping as we all mainly dont regularly shoot under 150yards with air rifles and when somebody does do it you all say the same thing over and over again of "no way it's impossible" but you say that without going out and actually trying to do it and not just useing 5 shots use 500 before saying impossible then if you give it your very best to hit the target at that range ask everyone you know to try it
    my gun club range has 25 50 and 100yrd target sets both for smallbore and airgun can use it many times i have heard this said and everyone at my club knows that yes you can hit the target at 100yards easy with .22 and .177 and with practice and skill you can get very good grouping fair enough you would not sgoot quarry at that range but you can plink and practice at any distance provided you have space and permission to do so but before saying impossible the the words i say is "GO AND TRY IT AND TRY LIKE YOU MEAN IT NOT JUST 5 SHOTS AS YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED THAT RANGE BEFORE SO YOU ARE BOUND TO MISS QUITE A FEW SHOTS AS YOU NO DOUBT DID WHEN FIRST TRIED SHOOTING BUT PRACTICE LETS YOU GET THE 20 30 40 OR 55YRDS YOU SHOOT AT NOW SO WHY NOT PRACTICE 100YRD THEN TEST THE FURTHEST TARGET YOU CAN HIT BEFORE SAYING NO WAY "
    very dissapointed in the fact that we call ourselves shooters but are too quick to dissmiss what others have tried and are getting good at without trying it first moan over
    I can assure you that I have reasonable experience at 100+yard shooting with air rifles at all power levels. It can be great fun and is a serious challenge. My objection was to using the term 'reliably'. There is nothing at all 'reliable' in shooting air rifles or rimfire rifles over that sort of range unless there is zero wind or at the very least a consistent gentle breeze.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

In my experience the wind can be blowing left to right where you are standing ,but at 100m it could almost be blowing in the opposite direction,where do you aim?,surrounding trees and hills cause a swirling effect, the wind picks up speed then eases what do you do ? i would probably go all the way and get a hmr

we have some experience

Hi,

Since a few years we organise 100m matches (If you can't read Dutch maybe you can use Google Translate). This is what rifles and shooters did on one of our matches:

http://www.100mairgun.nl/post/wint-d...e-groepje.aspx

Snoep
    100mairgun.nl (TRANSLATOR on top! )

Quote Originally Posted by mozzer2 View Post
    In my experience the wind can be blowing left to right where you are standing ,but at 100m it could almost be blowing in the opposite direction,where do you aim?,surrounding trees and hills cause a swirling effect, the wind picks up speed then eases what do you do ? i would probably go all the way and get a hmr
    always consider the wind on the first 1/3 of the distance, it is the one that has the strongest influence on the drift, i never bother with the one at target, if its been blown off its path in the beginning, you wont hit the target anyways.

Moreover If I estimate 3 winds and directions, ie , 3mph full value at 50m, 6-7mph 1/2 value at 70m mark, and 10mph full value at 130m, now where do you start working your windage?

because of this issue, I would work my windage out from the table according to the 3pmh full value at 50m and be done with it. the next shots will be held off if the wind increases abit. it has worked for me. obviously this wont be of any use if after you dial in the windage for a 3mph full value condition, you let off your shot in a gust, then complain the method doesn't work.

here you go.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flammo69#p/u/5/ud8KmnEAO04
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flammo69#p/u/4/5P5aYIp_HAY
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flammo69#p/u/3/dY6duzrYiE4
    Last edited by flims; 03-06-2010 at 01:06 PM.

100 yards with a sub 12 pounder! You defo need a fac air rifle to get any consistancy - but someone will soon be along to say that im talking boll&*(cks - 60 yards is your limit with legal power! - But thats only my humble opinion.

Lightbulb Best Air Rifle for Long Range

It seems the sum of the discussions centers around the one man, one gun theory, whatever the power factor. Personally, I have shot long range with many types of guns and it always gets down to your personal experience and ability with whatever the gun. One of the nicest aids I have found is on the Hawke Scope website and that's the Chair Gun Pro free download for pellet shooting where you can punch in the various data for a pellet and printout some sheets to assist in calculating the various conditions you might find on the range. It's not a given, but coupled with experience, it provides a nice leg up on calculating shot placement along with a laser rangefinder (http://www.chairgun.com/download.php). Their Ballistic Reticle Software isn't bad either (http://www.hawkeoptics.com/us/). I give a higher value to the mid and target area winds, more so than the wind at the firing point. I tend to think that the initial muzzle velocity overcomes the firing point wind to the point it doesn't have a serious effect on the pellet's trajectory. Of course, it's all relative. If I have an extremely heavy firing point wind then all bets are off and I include that wind in the calculation. Again, it's based on my personal ability and the particular gun. I don't think you can ever say that one person is more right than another in their approach to a shooting situation. It's still interesting to hear all the approaches because it may help me in tuning my shooting abilities. Tks to all for the tips.

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...roups/h100.jpg

Huntsman at 100m 11.2 ftlbs or 800fps with 7.9gr JsB out of box. Just no wind !

Well I'm new to long range air gun and my first attempt I had a real bugger of a time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGbI7RXwGC0

FX Typhoon with Air Arms Diablo Field Target pellets, .22, at clays at 105 yards with a swirly wind. I was aiming all over the place just to get close. Mind you I was also looking through the lcd display of a small camera, rather than having my eye up against the scope.

BSA Ultra

The furthest I have shot todate with my BSA ULTRA is 61 yards and it was very consistant. It was on a plinking range.

I tried also with a Steyer which Yielded even better results.

long range

Non Fac Rapid .177 Fac Rapid .22

what groups are you getting

Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    hi mate if you want to go to that range your better off with a rimfire. even a fac powered air rifle at big ftlb wouldnt live with the grouping of a rimfire.

and even then at 100 yards you should be looking at hmr instead of 22lr.
    what sort of groups are you getting at 100yards with the hmr and 22 rimfire?

in my opinion it doesnt matter which gun,which power or what range your talking.....its all down to one thing...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE ! ! !

Previously, Sunny Wigan-on-Sea, Lancs, now Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    Have no experience with 12 ft/lb guns but I have spent several years shooting long range with my FAC guns , it can be done to great success
    with patients , practice and the right conditions ...

All my shooting is done from benchrest with guns on bags

AirWolf has provided some sub MOA groups at 50 -62 and 100 yards
    SuperTEN many many groups just over MOA @ 70-84 and 90yards
    HW100 regularly shoots sub MOA @ 50 and 60 yards
    New Steyr only shot one group since buying it .625 @ 54 yards but I have high hopes for it once I get on with it.
    You use patients?
    Are they used as targets or as a captive audience, to stand around offering advice/encouragement?
    Growing older inevitably but still refuse to grow up.

found this one very interesting