I posted my reply to the post where mothers are calling for a total ban on guns:

Someone is getting mixed up here. Quote:
Home Office Minister Caroline Flint said: "In some parts of the country, and among some young people, the gun is seen the ultimate status symbol.

"Although in the UK the level of gun crime remains low compared with other countries, we cannot be complacent while people are being killed by guns on our streets.

My comment;

The GUNS mentioned in this report are not just airrifles, airpistols or even aircartridge pistols, no they are the real thing. These kids/youngsters are always going for the real thing they buy NIKE, DIESEL, MEXX, FILA etc etc, they will not bother waving a "toy-gun" (in their opinon) no they buy a H&K 9mm etc etc.

Ordinairy kids study and work for their future, these kids haven't got a future and they want to be respected in their (deprivated) environment, that is where guns come in as like they see on telly. I have been an airgunner for over 25 years and it has never once crossed my mind to hurt anyone with my guns nor use it as an intrument to impress others. Use common sense: if a youngster is caught with a genuine handgun (one that fires real bullets) he should be severely punished and the gun should be traced down all the way (under current law very hard as the defendent has the right to remain silent) That is where the focus should lie and not law abiding people like a bunch of dedicated airgun sporters.

Len

PS it does me you wonder though, how can we ever convince them, how can we ever explain to them the difference between an airgun and the real thing