Thread: Crossbow laws?

Guinness Guest

Crossbow laws?

What are the laws on owning/using/transporting a cross bow?
    Am I allowed to transport one to my shoot as I would my rifle?

napier Guest
    these laws are old.... but with all these 45lb draw weight pistol bows being sold at sunday markets/ car boots for a tenner to kids i would'nt be surprized if thats the next ****e to hit the fan...now theres a weapon that so unpredictable and potentally leathal...

Guiness,
    At a guess the laws will be similar to those for normal bows. You could take it with you to your shoot but under no circumstances could you hunt with it. Grande-temps Verboten. from the ages of shooting the kings deer and all that.

Sorry buddy but unless anyone knows of a get out clause I think you're stumped.

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

Iused to shoot a recurve bow at fields targets, great fun if anyone gets the chance have a go.I always transported my bow and arrows etc in a case just like you would an air rifle.As long as you dont shoot birds, animals etc. you will be fine, just watch out for Joe public they may well treat you as some Rambo type looney

SWAT Strachan is offline I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    Originally posted by bedlam
    Iused to shoot a recurve bow at fields targets, great fun if anyone gets the chance have a go.I always transported my bow and arrows etc in a case just like you would an air rifle.As long as you dont shoot birds, animals etc. you will be fine, just watch out for Joe public they may well treat you as some Rambo type looney
    You called .

I too own a compund bow, a 220lb crossbow and soon a crossbow pistol. There are no laws as far as I am aware regarding ownership and use of these items other than age and the hunting no-no. I use mine on occasion at our outdoor range, and they are great fun .

Just be sure that where you use them is totally safe, ensure that if you should miss the target, that the bolt/arrow can't go anywhere dangerous (I use mine in our valley so there's nowhere the shot can go that could cause harm). As for transportation, just keep the bow locked in the boot until you get to your grounds, and then only transport it when you are travelling there, as soon as you're done take it out of the vehicle and store it safely at home.

In short, just be sensible.
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤

Didnt like compound shooting.too easy ..
    I shot my Black Douglas thats a real bow

Swat,
    Just be sure that where you use them is totally safe, ensure that if you should miss the target, that the bolt/arrow can't go anywhere dangerous (I use mine in our valley so there's nowhere the shot can go that could cause harm).

Ever heard of "Flight Archery" - the goal - pure distance, and human release (not necessarily hand held). The current record----- go on guess------ A shade under one and a quater miles, I kid you not.

ATB

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

SWAT Strachan is offline I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    Understood, but when I said I shoot in th valley, I meant I stand in the gully at shoot sideways towards the rising sides. Plus I never point upwards, only straight ahead. I did try the crossbow at about 30° when I was absolutely sure that there were no people or livestock around, the bolt went about 400 yards. At 45° I'd imagine it could go much further, but I'm in no hurry to find out, I have enough trouble hitting targets 30 yards away, let alone 400 .
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤