Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellets for EV2

Question Pellets for EV2

I have just purchased an EV2 and my first job was to test for pellet likes/dislikes.
    I have never shot a gun which is so pellet fussy. The only pellet it will fire consistantly well is the AA 4.52
    ALL, and I mean All other pellets are all over the place.
    Has anyone else with an EV2 experienced this.

Just out of curiosity, what other pell's did you try?

Ray

Shaggy Guest
    sammo,
    I tried the EV2 2years ago at Bisley when Mr Turner had it there for a run out.

it was noted at the time that it was very pellet fussy could be why most FT'ers wern't interested in it. but apparently it liked Prems 7.9grn & the bigger 11.9grn & Air Arms 4.52's

I got hold of Daystate pellets end of 2002 at Redferns off of Tony Belus as did a whole load of FTer's and they quickly became the no1 pellet. my Pro Target loved the 4.52's and then at Plymouth I tried 4.53's all I will say is I am glad there was a typo error at Daystate

99.9% of rifles ihave tried em in work real well.

Hop it helps

Darren

Pellets tried

Lazadome 4.52
    Lazapel
    AA 4.51
    Accupel
    Premier 7.9gr
    Daystate 4.51
    Daystate 4.52
    Diabolo Baracuda
    AA 4.52

Other pellets also tried but not well known makes for FT work so not worth the mention

wkhudson Guest
    If Daystate 4.51 or 4.52 don't group then it's down to two things:

1) You're not shooting it right (unlikely)
    2) Barrel's dud (send it back)

Surely if AA 4.52's group o/k, but Daystate 4.52's don't, it can't be the barrel.

It's asking AA to make a barrel that suits a rival pell'.

Ray

Grouping

The AA 4.52s grouped 5 pellets in a 12 mm circle last week,
    The shots were fired first from a comfortable sitting FT position then the circle drawn around them.
    All the other pellets I tried were grouping no better than two and half to three inches (65 to 77 mm for the metricans)
    I have ordered some JSB Exacts 4.52s to try and I have ordered some more AA 4.52s as I am now out of AAs.
    I do not really fancy trying the Daystate 4.53s because they work out very expensive considering I go through about 1500 to 2000 pellets a week.

Re: Grouping

Originally posted by Sammo
    The AA 4.52s grouped 5 pellets in a 12 mm circle last week,
    The shots were fired first from a comfortable sitting FT position then the circle drawn around them.
    Just wondering, what range were you testing at?

Numb nut

This test was carried out at Tawd vale. and after I had got these I asked Steve Gallop to put his thoughts to the accuracy and after he fired about 15 shots we walked to the 50 yard target and he had put a pellet next to each of three different pellets he had tried to hit and his final 3 shots he grouped about 8 mm centre to centre in a Y formation, these were his last 6 of the approx 15.
    He pointed out that if he had been able to alter the windage when he suggested it, in the earlier part of the 15 shots then he would have put pellet on pellet at 50 yards. The evedence was there to see.

I will add that it was very calm with very little breeze.

My reason for wanting to improve is that I was on the impression that I got a few fliers,

I was there for over 4 hours zeroing the gun and setting the ranges to 5, 8, then 10 to 55 yards in 5 yard increments.

In answer to your question which I have just realised you meant,
    the range distance not the range whereabouts
    It was 50 yards
    Last edited by Sammo; 24-05-2004 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks Sammo! Yup, I should have phrased that better, I meant distance as you realised.

Recently I fitted a bipod to my PT to do some pellet testing, but not too pleased with the results so far, typically getting 1 inch 10 shot groups at 45 yards. Might be my bipod shooting technique however.

clubshot Guest

Thumbs up

Exterminator 9.50's work well in Rapids , have you tried them ?

email name & address for a Free trial pack

bob.r@practicalpistoluk.com

Open Offer

Also sold as Logun Pentrators

They liked the pellet enough to have a large batch made.

BOB/R

Hi Clubshot

No I have not tried the Exterminator 9.50s, Are these a domed pellet?

Sammo, I have an EV2 which will lay pellet on pellet with AA, Daystate, or JSB Exact, all 4.52.

It might be a silly question, but have you cleaned the barrel?

When I bought my EV I started to shoot it and found it was pretty fussy. I gave it a quick clean, and realised that there was a lot of residue left in the lands. A friend who bought his EV at the same time as me had the same, and I have had the same thing with a MK3 Daystate.

You get what appears to be a rust coloured trace on any jags you pull through, and must use cleaner and oil until it is all gone. I did mention this to the AA factory, and they told me it was the protective grease applied after the barrel was made.

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but I thought it worth mentioning.

On a 30 yard indoor range I can lay pellet on pellet as long as I can keep concentration for, with any of the pellets above. There is also very little difference between the Webley, Daystate, AA, and JSB, as they all come from the same factory, and before I get jumped on, yes I know there ARE differences, but they are few.

Accuracy wise, I recently shot a 29 X 33 on a breezy Dartmoor course, matched by another EV2. I was happy with that.

Good luck.

Neil

NeilM

What do you mean by 29 X 33.
    I am not familiar with this terminology.
    Please excuse ignorance as it is not always bliss.

I am also pleased to hear what the EV2 is capable of and look forward to better times. as I said mine is capable but not yet fully consistent.

As for cleaning the barrel I cleaned it using barrel cleaner and pull throughs, then pull throughs until they pulled clean.

p70shooter Guest
    Hes just showing of that he only missed 4 targets on a 33 shot course.Which is good shooting especially for him,just dont ask him what he shot last weekend