Thread: Scope Mounting Advice please

submariner Guest

Scope Mounting Advice please

The dovetails on my Ripley's breech block are 140mm long, the new Leupold has a ring mounting maximum span of 165mm. However the placement of the magazine [swings out 12mm higher than the breech] and the [thicker] saddle of the scope mean the saddle can not be mounted over the magazine.
    ? So Which is better?
    a] To to use extended mounts [one has a 25mm extension, the other is normal] that would then clamp on the scope 150mm apart i.e. almost the max distance apart. But would have to be clamped on the breech 15mm short of the breech's maximum length i.e. be spaced over 125mm.
    or
    b] Use normal dual mounts and clamp them on the breech right at both ends i.e. 140mm apart; but obviously only then clamp the scope 140mm apart.

What's the logic? go for a wider span to the breech or protect the obviously weaker scope tube by supporting that at the maximum disctance?
    Any advice / ideas most welcome.
    Last edited by submariner; 22-05-2004 at 06:05 PM.

wkhudson Guest
    Doesn't matter as long as doesn't look obviously wrong and you get correct eye relief

Darren Petts Guest
    Using either method will give you naff all movement fore and aft to set eye relief up. If you're lucky it'll be spot on. Far more likely you'll have to shift it back or forth to get it right thus shortening the span. The span isn't critical so long as it's not rediculously short.

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi Submariner,

That is a good question !

First of all you have to be sure of correct eye relief - always. An option here may be a butt stock extension to move the saddle of the scope away from the magazine. If you know what I mean.

Maybe you need higher mounts to stay clear of the magazine. Not the best option - but you may have to do this.

But if you can manage the 2 options you have giving yourself and donīt have any problems with the eye relief issue then choose one of them.

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

submariner Guest
    Thanks Guys for the help