Thread: Rohm Sport

Rohm Sport

Back in February I decided to purchase a PCP target air pistol. Not a great deal of choice in the second hand market as I'm left handed so I went to the local club and ordered the Rohm. After much anticpation I was on the brink of cancelling it when it arrived in earlier this month.

Having a quick look in the generous sized case I took possetion of it after Peter charged it up for me. Total cost £440.

A couple of nights later I took it for a shoot, first thing I noticed was there was a little play between the pistol body and the grip. I removed the grip and noticed a plastic grommet. After this was removed and the grip re-installed the play was no more.

Operating the pistol the slide seemed quite stiff but worked OK.

Charging, I had to buy an adapter to fit between the pistol adapter and the pump before I could pump it. When you screw the cylinder home the bleed valve must be shut as the cylinder back pressures the pump. Also if you open the bleed valve after charging it empties the cylinder. GRrrrrrr.

Comparing it to Skeltz's Rohm we noticed the spare rear sights were not in the box

After a good few shots the slide was still stiff so I used the long plastic probe down the tube to see if the magazine was lined up with the barrel, the probe was catching so I adjusted the grub screw as best I could and found the slide is now moving freely and smooth.

Summary;
    A very accurate pistol power just short of 4.0fpe with AA Field good on can mangling as well as paper. Fiddly to load but provides over 80 shots. The charging design means you have to unscrew the cylinder from the adapter at full pressure I'm sure this will greatly reduce the life of the seal on the end of the cylinder. The pistol fits well in the hand and is well balanced included are balance weights if you need them I took mine off. 9/10 for accuracy and fun 5/10 for design (knocked up with a gripe springs to mind) 2/10 for quality inspection prior to despatch.
    John (not the greates Rohm fan)
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Now a bit on I am starting to warm to this pistol. Just spent a while punching holes in pellet tins
    The action has become smoother with use, a re-check on the power a little erratic with a high at the top of the fill 4.3fpe settling down later to an average 4.0fpe with RWS R10 and AA Field.
    Now getting used to it I find it hard to put it down. Of course this means I have less time to spend with the HW45.
    I charged the cylinder to 195bar intending to shoot it down to 70bar will report how many shots when complete.
    John

For the shot count I put 100 pellets in a tin and fired until the pressure gauge indicated 70bar.

Checking the cylinder pressure at regular intervals, the pressure seemed to drop faster at the top end and slowly at the bottom end thinking back should have cronoed it at the lower end. Wonder if it dumps air at the top end?

At 70bar I connected the cylinder to the pump and the pump pressure gauge agreed with the cylinder gauge. A quick count of the remaining pellets 15. So from 195 - 70bar (almost the full length of the green ) a total of 85 shots.

Plenty for a decent target/plinking session. The box also has provision to carry a spare cylinder.
    John

Do you know the differences between the models in the Rohm range ? What make the Sport different from the Match version ?

--
    edd

Different trigger unit, grip and cocking lever. Also the loading port looks slightly different lastly the price.
    John

Out again yesterday to shoot some 6yd cards and plink. After a brief warm up I shot round 9 4 cards aiming a whisker below the centre. After some more plinking I shot round 10 cards.

Wondering whether it was me I noticed the poi had shifted high as by now the cylinder pressure was getting low. Now aiming at the bottom of the of the black.

A few shots through the combro reveals the power at the lower end is up to 4.3fpe. I would not have thought that small increase would make much difference but it did.

After shooting it down to 70bar I switched back to the Hw45, all of a sudden it is not as much fun as it used to be as the effort to extract a decent group is hard work. Basically I'm now struggling with the 45 and am still learning with the Rohm. May see some interesting scores.
    John

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by webranger View Post
    Charging, I had to buy an adapter to fit between the pistol adapter and the pump before I could pump it. When you screw the cylinder home the bleed valve must be shut as the cylinder back pressures the pump. Also if you open the bleed valve after charging it empties the cylinder. GRrrrrrr.
    I'm glad that I don't have to fill mine with a pump! However, the bit about the adaptor is par for the course with the German/Austrian rifles/pistols. They are invariably supplied with a 232bar adaptor necessitating an adaptor if you wish to fill from a 300bar bottle or pump. Again, using the bleed valve and watching your cylinder empty is par for the course on this type of rifle/pistol. Rohm, Steyr, FWB, Walther and even the original HW100s, provided they haven't been modified to quickfill, all work this way.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Filling the cylinder with the pump is not much effort (until 175bar) as it is quite small.

I now charge the cylinder, unscrew it a good half turn, open the bleed valve then remove the cylinder.

This should prolong the life of the seal.
    John