Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S-16 Any Good

allymax Guest

Question S-16 Any Good

Been looking about for a new gun, will be PCP, pref multishot, and a local shop had a good deal on an s/h S-16

I seem to remember a few people slagging them off on here. Opinions anyone ?

Cheers,

Ally.

Do a search, IIRC, only 1 person has had a good thing to say about them compared with xxx saying their crap.
    Good backup it appears from the importers though.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

allymax Guest

Talking Ooooh Dear

Dave,

Thanks, done a search.......don't think I'll bother with the S16

Cheers the noo,

Ally.

How many of those who slag them actually own an s16 .
    Im on my second and yes my first one did pack up. But while it worked it was as good as any other rifle in my collection and a good bit better than some .When I had a problem it was soon sorted by simmons .
    I have 11 differant air guns and if i was to sell one it would not be my s16 .
    Down side is very hard to sell if you want rid as everybody on here slags them.

allymax Guest
    Fair comment mate. I don't know if any of the folkses with unkind words to say were really users, but a search on here certainly doesn't do a good advertising job for them S-16 thingies. I'll probably stick to something a bit more 'traditional' I think.

On another subject (nearly), what's it like filling a PCP from a hand pump, is it a ballache or is it easy enough ??????

Filling a large bottle like an s16 with a hand pump is hard work !!!
    Filling a normal pcp is no sweat though.
    Still better to get a dive bottle though .
    Nick

Pumps are a chore you don't need get a bottle if you intend to do a lot of shooting.

S16? You might be right there nutty. I have never owned one, but I was interested in one untill I tried one out for a while. Admittedly it was one of the first batch, but it was garbage to use for any length of time.

I would say if you like that type of rifle try one out, but there are many other options for the same money that are so much better than the S16. Add in the fact that it's easier to get rid of Herpes than one of these, and they are far from an attractive option.
    "The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please"
    Lt. Col. Tim Collins, commander of the 1st Battalion of the Royal Irish

Oh and I joined in April 2002 eleven years a member now

allymax Guest
    Cheers for that mate.

Borrowed an S200 today, a bit 'blocky' (I know that word doesn't really mean anything, but thats what came into me head when i picked up the S200). Shoots well enough but a bit of a bummer with the old regular refilling (esp. in 177).

Want to try out an S410 next, cause the single shot was a little cumbersome, trying to drop pellets in under the scope with my little stubby fingers

Need to look for diving shops in my area next too......

Cheers the noo,

Ally.

(PS I wonder why SMK don't make a PCP ???)

adam_thrower Guest
    Also if you can get your hands on one, try a S10 Carbine. Mine works faultlessly time after time and has possibly the best trigger going. Only MHO, but is one to Consider

Andrew006 Guest

Thumbs up

You will find most people who slag the S-16 have either never had one or only had a mk1 (which were bad). The sorted ones are good, real good. If you follow the instructions and use accupells, you would have a super multi-shot, take down airgun.

I have had most models of PCP and am about to get my second S-16 (I like em that much) Some other top guns also have their failings if not looked after etc. So its best to try before you buy.

all the best

andy

Ally,
    I thought that I was the "one" refered to by Davestate in his first reply. I'm all in favour of the S16, I bought one on looks alone, had an initial problem which was most likely caused by me using the wrong lube - Simmons sorted it out and I've have more than a year of trouble free airgunning since. It helps if your on the large side as most people say that the S16 is built for gibbons. If you get it, read the manual, follow its advice and if you do come across something out of the ordinary, ask for help before trying to fix it yourself.

HTH

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    Havenīt you seen the Straightshooters site yet...?

They lift the crappy S-16 to heaven..

You see - they have a Mk II model and it is in full power...

To be honest - this is a gun made in Slovakia and the quality is just what one can expect from such a gun.

IMHO it is way to heavy with a very strange balance, the quality of those I have used were kind of "American"....(a Crosman feeling).

Andrew006 Guest

Red face

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nutshot
    [B]How many of those who slag them actually own an s16 .

I had two! both died young, so I lost confidence in them.

Excellent aftersales from the then Simmons, but, I bought the gun to use not to keep sending back!

Get a Rapid if you want a buddy bottle or an Air Arms S410, loads knocking about S/H

Dazz

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    Excellent aftersales from the then Simmons, but, I bought the gun to use not to keep sending back!
    Good thing that Kevin at SS loves them then - he will see a lot of them in the future too, even those he already have sold...