Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S-16 Any Good

I think it is a shame that they had to shift away from the original concept of the prototype due to potential problems (legally) with the loading system. It was a good idea and I think they should have gone for it and challenged the legal side of things.

However, I appreciate that there would be a hell of a cost and a few lawyers and barristers would have made a few bucks out of it.

If you want a good multi shot with a high mag capacity and huge shot reserve, then the Rapid is about the best on the market. The original and built to last.

Down side is that they are not pretty, and I feel Theobens are very pricey for the rifle.

Even the add on's are very steep in price.

My feeling is that for every duff Theoben, you will get a lot more S16's going back.

I was tempted by the S16, but when I handled one in a gun shop, I wasn't impressed with the feel and the way it was put together. I walked away.

It is a great shame as rifles with rails and bolt on capability are really suited to NV hunting when you need the NV scope and IR laser and IR illuminator and.......

The S16 and stealths havnt quite got it right either from design limitations or quality issues or both.

Steyr
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Originally posted by Steyr

If you want a good multi shot with a high mag capacity and huge shot reserve, then the Rapid is about the best on the market. The original and built to last.

Down side is that they are not pretty, and I feel Theobens are very pricey for the rifle.

Even the add on's are very steep in price.

My feeling is that for every duff Theoben, you will get a lot more S16's going back.

Steyr
    That is about the best praise anyone could ever give the old Theoben .
    They could be the very best if they would climb down from their throne and bother to communicate with ordinary mortals like myself.
    Listen to me talking, I own 3 Rapids MK2 .22 and .25 FAC and a .22 12ft/lb and I love 'em.
    Theory Men: They all know how it should work but it doesn't
    Practice Men: Everything works but nobody knows how

Darren Petts Guest
    The S16 is a turd dressed in military clothing. Without that disguise it'd not sell at all. If you buy one new have the shop deliver it straight to Simmons to save time and effort as it'll end up there fairly soon anyway. Their service is good but then they've had so much practise at polishing this turd that it buffs up quite nicely now (still a turd under the sheen though).

blackfox Guest

Talking

Hmm their crap give you a fiver for it hahaha

DM80 Guest

s16

useless things

Dave.

blackfox Guest

Talking

Hmm last time i fired a turd Darren was at the houses of parliament after the the brocock fiasco

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    Actually you do also have the FX Airguns Gladiator (aka "Logun" Gladi8or) to concider.

More shots on one fill then the Rapids and much faster to shoot with a biathlon sidelever then old style boltaction it the Theobens.

Andrew006 Guest

Thumbs down

Those FX airguns are nearly as ugly as Theobens Rapid series

Why dont you all just let people like what they want to like.
    I have many rifles and have just aquired my second S-16. I like em, many others like em. Mine does what it says it will do. End of story.

Regards

Andy

Andrew - this is why the BBS forum is here mate. You are entitled to your opinion and that is the way it should be.

I do not generally rate a rifle by the way it LOOKS.

I rate it by the way it is built, the way it handles and the way it performs in the field or whilst in competition.

If you like the S16 then fair enough but if others dont - then live with it.

Read between the lines in threads like these and you will get a general view of how much regard certain manufacturers or specific items within thier range are held within the shooting community who are using them

This is useful for prospective purchasers to consider the pro's and con's, it allows users to diseminate information from first hand experience, it allows manufacturer's to gather feed back for future development......and it allows windbags to talk b*ll*cks about equipment they have never seen yet alone handled or shot etc.

Just filter the salient stuff and know when to ignore.

As for the S16, if you have a good example then great. However, it doesn't sound from other posts that your experience is as widely shared by others as it should be.

The rapid may be ugly but it is built (and I mean BUILT) very well indeed. It has up to 17 shots in .177 and is ****** accurate for hunting. FT is another thing and I dont think the Rapid quite cuts it in this particular discipline overall.

I have not seen an FX in the flesh or handled or shot one so I cant comment. But is it not just another Axor in a different set of cloths.

I shoot two extremes - a Steyr LG100FT - an EXCELLENT rifle by any standards and an AA S200. the latter is butt ugly to damn small and build quality is far from outstanding - but it can't half shoot straight......and that's why I've got one and it aint for sale.

I don't get upset if someone critises a Steyr or an S200 or a rapid or........I accept there opinions. If I disagree then I'm not afraid to say it but everyone has a right to express thier opinion whatever it may be.

Good shooting

Steyr
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

If you've tried an S16 and like it, then buy an RWS Scimitar. It will knock your socks off. Its much better balanced, more accurate, much more durable...

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    If you've tried an S16 and like it, then buy an RWS Scimitar. It will knock your socks off. Its much better balanced, more accurate, much more durable...
    ...And on the other hand - if you like the Scimitar, you will love the Gladiator...

jonathanjones Guest
    I have to say my s-16 is fantastic, i love it. I admit i had a few teething problems(my fault for not understanding the bolt action).But after having it for 2 months it shoots perfect every time, i love the looks and i feel safe knowing i can send it to simmons if i have any problems. Its true about accupells though it is all it will shoot!!!

cheers
    jonathan

Andrew006 Guest

Talking

Steyr.....did you not notice the ?

Chill out......I like most airguns...no I love all airguns.

I am an airgun enthusiast But still, many people who do slag the s-16 have probably (IMHO) never handled a MK2 version.

Like I said....everybody to their own

anygreg Guest

Good things come to those who wait...

And finally,

I have owned both the S16 Mk1 and Mk2 and don't think anyone can deny there were problems with the first and even the early Mk2's where not good to say the least, but, and there is a but, In Logun’s defense they kept customer focused and supported the customer all the way down the line until it was fixed, and still do today, also consider over 8000 of these have been sold (have yet to hear of anyone who hasn’t reached a resolution with Logun, now that saying something in this day and age, any one own a faulty Theoben..?). Admittedly some of the problems were manufacturing defects but equally a lot of the blame was down to the user as well. People love to assemble these things and take the apart as if they were a toy, whilst still charged at full pressure (200bar!!) this obviously doesn’t do any of the seals any good. The users then complain that their S16 is loosing air …and so the S16 story began. Got off on a bit of a bad foot reallyL. I have been there with a similar problem with my MK1 (not user error though!!) after excellent comms with Logun they sorted it out, FOC, with, may I add, an apology for the problem! I am now the proud owner of a MK2 S16 and am very very impressed with the shooting capabilities of this air rifle. Unquestionable accuracy shot after shot, extremely quite and in my opinion a good looking piece of kit without any wood!

Would I sell it …No chance. If you get a good one, which all of the latest ones should be, hold onto it, you will not be disappointed.

Would I buy another, won’t have to, keeping the one I've got, if it goes wrong I will ring Logun, end of story.

Would I recommend one, yes, but these aren’t for kids, if you want something to strip down and rebuild buy some meccano!!

One last point, one thing I have noticed about the new super slick MK2 S16 (love it!) Logun have re-written the manual since the MK1, putting all the does and don’ts, and yes there are a few, but I like that, it makes the thing more human and more interesting to own. Get one of these little puppies on song and it’s as good as any other top air rifle out there, if a little quirkier.
    Last edited by anygreg; 24-05-2004 at 05:56 PM.

What does it mean

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Davestate
    [B]Do a search, IIRC, only 1 person has had a good thing to say

A bit off topic, but can someone tell me what IIRC means?
    Seen it plenty of times but never worked it out.

Regards,

Paul