Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Kits

Gun Kits

Hi Folks,
    Could anyone enlighten me on the legality of gun kits in this country, are they allowed, or prohibited ?
    Because it's something I would really like to do, as I'm as much into the engineering side of cap & ball revolvers, as I am shooting them (even though I've just started ) So any help with my question, will be very much appreciated !!! Cheers.

All the best
    Baz

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Don't take this as legal advice, for sure, but I would think that they would be legal: so far as you are not making a pistol from scratch, or introducing any element (like a cartridge converter cylinder) that would turn it into a prohibited item.

However, you might need FAC permission to buy the kit in the first place.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim, Thanks for the reply.

What I should have said was, "what is the legal position of importing gun kits into this country, and if there's any problem in getting them put onto your FAC , if you can import them" ?

I'd bet you'd need FAC permission to own the muzzleloader in question, first.

Then, the legality of importing the weapon kit....hmmm, that's interesting.

Since muzzleloaders (unlike low-powered air guns) ARE controlled: I have no idea whether buying the kit (or a completed gun) from a foreign seller would be legally tantamount to buying the same thing from a UK dealer, as a consumer purchase: or whether it would require a gun dealer / importer license.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim,

Yes I would need an FAC to own one, but what I need to know is, are the kits actually legal to bring into this country ?, as a firearm needs a serial number here, so do they have them ?
    I thinkI should get in contact with our local firearms liason officer, I think he should know, what do you think ?

All the best
    Baz

Contacting your FEO would surely be the best idea. However, I understand that some of them will tell you "no you can't!" just to be on the safe side, so you probably should NOT take a negative response as gospel.

Dealers (at least, their sales staff) also often don't know what they're talking about.

I once had a gun store in Nevada refuse to sell me a gun shortly after I'd moved there: "Sorry, Sir, you have to be a resident here for six months before you can buy a gun; state law."

Six months later - "waiting period up!" - I very happily went into (another) gunstore, said happily that "now I was eligible" - only to be told that there was no such law, and that I could have bought a gun the day I became a state resident.

Some time later, I learned the apparent source of the first saleman's misconception. Nevada law DOES require you to be a state resident for at least six months before you can qualify to buy a hunting or fishing license at the lower rates set for state residents!

As far as the serial number: that could be a problem. If the kit comes from the US, it (being BP) wouldn't be legally a "firearm" under US federal law, so wouldn't be required to have a serial number.

There's a Thread in the "Rimfire/Centerfire..." Forum called "Importing from the US (Or Not)" that might have some useful info.

Cheers!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 27-07-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Contacting your FEO would surely be the best idea. However, I understand that some of them will tell you "no you can't!" just to be on the safe side, so you probably should take a negative response as gospel.

Dealers (at least, their sales staff) also often don't know what they're talking about.

I once had a gun store in Nevada refuse to sell me a gun shortly after I'd moved there: "Sorry, Sir, you have to be a resident here for six months before you can buy a gun; state law."

Six months later - "waiting period up!" - I very happily went into (another) gunstore, said happily that "now I was eligible" - only to be told that there was no such law, and that I could have bought a gun the day I became a state resident.

Some time later, I learned the apparent source of the first saleman's misconception. Nevada law DOES require you to be a state resident for at least six months before you can qualify to buy a hunting or fishing license at the lower rates set for state residents!

As far as the serial number: that could be a problem. If the kit comes from the US, it (being BP) wouldn't be legally a "firearm" under US federal law, so wouldn't be required to have a serial number.

There's a Thread in the "Rimfire/Centerfire..." Forum called "Importing from the US (Or Not)" that might have some useful info.

Cheers!

Jim

Aaaarrrrrggghhh,

This get's more confusing as time passes I think, I'll just not bother, as it seems more trouble than it's worth !!!
    I know exactly what you mean about people just saying NO ! or giving a negative answer, because it's easier than saying that you don't know, but you will find out, or with some of these people, it's a power thing, makes them feel big, because they can deny you what you want
    Anyway I think we may have cleared that up between us, so I think we should call it a day, on this question, Unless anyone know's better !!!

All the very best
    Baz

I think that gun kits are legal in this country - take a look at this site that sells them:

http://www.blackleyandson.com/

Cheers

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by LONG REACH View Post
    Aaaarrrrrggghhh,

This get's more confusing as time passes I think, I'll just not bother, as it seems more trouble than it's worth !!!
    I know exactly what you mean about people just saying NO ! or giving a negative answer, because it's easier than saying that you don't know, but you will find out, or with some of these people, it's a power thing, makes them feel big, because they can deny you what you want
    Anyway I think we may have cleared that up between us, so I think we should call it a day, on this question, Unless anyone know's better !!!

All the very best
    Baz
    You're right, Baz, I've exhausted my ignorance, conjecture, and speculation on this topic. By the way, I meant to say above "shoulN'T take it as gospel."

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by vi11ain View Post
    I think that gun kits are legal in this country - take a look at this site that sells them:

Cheers

Ben
    There you go!

Jim

If you import a gun kit it is theoretically seized by Customs until you provide proof that you can legally receive it.

When I imported one it just got delivered, Mr Plod was not happy but it wasn't my fault HMCE are incompetant

Once assembled and ready to run you have 90 days to submit it for proof to London or Brum. You don't require a gun to be in proof if you shoot it, you do require it to be in proof if you import, sell or pawn it.

Quote Originally Posted by vi11ain View Post

Cheers

Ben
    Cheers Ben,

Not quite what I was after, but they answer part of my question. nice one !!!

All the best
    Baz

Cheers Robin,

The answer I have been waiting for !!!
    What exactly do you need to show that you have a legal right to recieve it, your FAC, or something else ?

In the end, is it worth all of the hassle and with the import tax, vat etc, is it a viable option to buying a ready made pistol ?, as I would find great satisfaction in shooting one of these lit guns, knowing that I had put it together (if you know what I mean)

Many thanks

All the best
    Baz

two things that may help.

You can buy a BP gun(or kit) in the states and bring it out with no paperwork. When you get to the UK, you go through the red channel and declare it. They will write it on your FAC.

I am building a gatling gun in 22lr. As such I needed all the parts listed on my FAC so that as I build them, I write them on it and let my FEO know.

As my Gatling gun is not normal design I had to get the parts listed individually. As you're building a BP gun, you could import it in bits as long as you didn't have more component parts than required, but list it on you FAC as one gun.

hope this is of use.

Quote Originally Posted by pmercer View Post
    two things that may help.

You can buy a BP gun(or kit) in the states and bring it out with no paperwork. When you get to the UK, you go through the red channel and declare it. They will write it on your FAC.

I am building a gatling gun in 22lr. As such I needed all the parts listed on my FAC so that as I build them, I write them on it and let my FEO know.

As my Gatling gun is not normal design I had to get the parts listed individually. As you're building a BP gun, you could import it in bits as long as you didn't have more component parts than required, but list it on you FAC as one gun.

hope this is of use.

Thanks for that, but I think it may negate the savings of buying a kit, if I was to fly out to the States to get it.
    That Gatling gun willbe something to see when it's finished, I hope you are going to post some pic's when completed, or better still a link to you Tube, showing you firing it. Now that would be worth watching

All the best
    Baz