Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Kits

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I'm with you all the way on the Gatling gun!

On the kit: this is probably a silly question, but wouldn't it be possible to buy a kit in the UK - having gotten the necessary FAC paperwork straightened out first - rather than having to worry about importing it, or it in pieces?

On the issue OF importing it: I'M in the States. If you need any help on this end, I can buy the kit here for you and ship it to you as a gift (that you're paying for, of course! ) : so long as we're not violating any laws, on either end.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

gatling gun

Quote Originally Posted by pmercer View Post
    two things that may help.

You can buy a BP gun(or kit) in the states and bring it out with no paperwork. When you get to the UK, you go through the red channel and declare it. They will write it on your FAC.

I am building a gatling gun in 22lr. As such I needed all the parts listed on my FAC so that as I build them, I write them on it and let my FEO know.

As my Gatling gun is not normal design I had to get the parts listed individually. As you're building a BP gun, you could import it in bits as long as you didn't have more component parts than required, but list it on you FAC as one gun.

hope this is of use.
    A functional Gatling gun? The model Engineer ran an article on same and from the correspondance that followed it was apparent that you will NOT get a variation for a functional Gatling gun!
    Evan
    P.S. Anybody remember "Major Corry" --- he got done for selling B.P. kits without F.A.C. variation a good few years ago.
    Last edited by evanjwm; 29-07-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by evanjwm View Post
    A functional Gatling gun? The model Engineer ran an article on same and from the correspondance that followed it was apparent that you will NOT get a variation for a functional Gatling gun!
    Don't believe all you read. I've had the variation for a couple of years now. I'm slowly adding bits to it as I'm building them.

A gatling gun is semi-automatic because you have to make an action to fire each round, ie move the handle. We're allowed 22lr semi-autos, hence a 22lr gatling gun is allowed on an FAC.

I've got details of it on my website. www.paulssite.co.uk/gatling_gun.html I'm updating it as I do various parts, but haven't updated it for a few months.
    Last edited by pmercer; 29-07-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Don't believe all you read. I've had the variation for a couple of years now. I'm slowly adding bits to it as I'm building them.

A gatling gun is semi-automatic because you have to make an action to fire each round, ie move the handle. We're allowed 22lr semi-autos, hence a 22lr gatling gun is allowed on an FAC.

I've got details of it on my website. www.paulssite.co.uk/gatling I'm updating it as I do various parts, but haven't updated it for a few months.
    I wasn't able to open it.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Paul

Linky no worky

Roy

Try this:

http://www.paulssite.co.uk/gatling_gun.html

HTH

Ben

PS What a great project!

Oops, I should have checked the URL rather than typing it from memory. Sorry about that. I'll correct it in my original post as well. I've actually ma\de a lot more than is shown as I've been rushing through bits before I leave my current job. I'll update when things calm down a bit.

Paul

Roy, My phone died and I suspect when it comes back it'll have no numbers on it. COuld you either text of PM me your no again .

A gatling gun is semi-automatic because you have to make an action to fire each round, ie move the handle.
    You sure? The Gatling design is mechanical in much the same as a lever action is.

Semi auto, or Self Loading in UK parlance, uses some the power of the discharged cartridge to operate the mechanism.

That said, why .22lr? As it's not a self loader, you could build it in full bore..! I do remember reading about a 2/3rds scale model of a Gatling, made as a hobby and chambered for Brocock cartridges. But then, that's gone as well!

However, I think you would not be able to do it. I reckon it would be classed as S.5, by the virtues of S5(1)(a)....... machine gun.

Sec 5(1)(a) any firearm which is so designed or adapted so that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger e.g. machine guns, burst fire weapons;

Sec 5(1)(ab) any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rimfire e.g. short barrelled rifles;

Sec 5(1)(aba) any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30cm in length or is less than 60cm in length overall, other than an air weapon, a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus e.g. handguns, revolvers;

Sec 5(1)(ac) any self-loading or pump-action smooth-bore gun which is not an air weapon or chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges and either has a barrel less than 24" in length or is less than 40" in length overall e.g. self loading shotguns;

Sec 5(1)(ad) any smooth-bore revolver gun other than one that is chambered for 9mm rim-fire cartridges or a muzzle-loading gun e.g. Dragon;

Sec 5(1)(ae) any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line-throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus;

Sec 5(1)(af) any air rifle, air gun or air pistol which uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self- contained gas cartridge system e.g. Brococks;

Sec 5(1)(c) any cartridge with a bullet designed to explode on or immediately before impact, any ammunition containing or designed or adapted to contain any such noxious thing as mentioned above, and, if capable of being used with a firearm of any description, any grenade, bomb (or other like missile), or rocket or shell designed to explode as aforesaid e.g. ammunition containing explosive in the bullets or missiles;

Sec 5(1)(A)(a) any firearm which is disguised as another object e.g. pen guns, key fob guns and phone guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    You sure? The Gatling design is mechanical in much the same as a lever action is.

Semi auto, or Self Loading in UK parlance, uses some the power of the discharged cartridge to operate the mechanism.

That said, why .22lr? As it's not a self loader, you could build it in full bore..! I do remember reading about a 2/3rds scale model of a Gatling, made as a hobby and chambered for Brocock cartridges. But then, that's gone as well!

However, I think you would not be able to do it. I reckon it would be classed as S.5, by the virtues of S5(1)(a)....... machine gun.

Sec 5(1)(a) any firearm which is so designed or adapted so that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger e.g. machine guns, burst fire weapons;

Sec 5(1)(ab) any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rimfire e.g. short barrelled rifles;

Thanks for all the concerns, but 5(1)(ab) is the bit that covers this gun and hence the reason I'm doing it 1/3 scale and 22lr. From 5(1)a) the trigger in this case is the crank handle, and you have to add repeated pressure to it to successively discharge the next round.
    Even if it was sect 5, I have it on my ticket, so would be allowed it, much the same way as pistols 5(1)(ab) + 5(1)(aba) is allowed if you have a sect7 allowance on your fac.

So, who else is going to build one now?

What does your variation say? And, as you're in Orpington, is your FAC Kent or Mets?

This could prove fun.......

The variation lists lots of components. ie 10 barrels, 10 bolt, 10 fring pins, 1 receiver, 1 carrier. I think that's about it. There is also a spare slot on there for a 22lr which is reserved for the gatling gun.

I have all the letters sent in requesting it and I had a chat with my FEO about it before it was all agreed upon.

I used to live in Orpington which is Met, but moved a few miles from there and am now Kent.

Now you have whetted my appetite!

I'm also in Kent. I don't have ANY engineering skills, but I know an RFD who is a fantastic engineer and gunsmith!

What do you estimate on the costs of the project and will you have to make everything?

Costs.... Hmmm.

Things I couldn't make:
    Barrel blanks from the States 11 off (1 spare) about $40 each I think
    Gear wheels from the States 2 off about $50

Things I paid for:
    Metal for rails 20 pounds
    Springs. I priced them up at about 70 pounds

Things I procured:
    All other material was courtesy of work so no cost.
    All castings also courtesy of work so no cost.

If I was paying for material and casting I'd be looking at a couple of grand minimum. If you machined everything from solid rather than using the facilities at hand it would bring the cost down a hell of a lot. Materials are probably still a good few hundred pounds though.

There's not much to see at the mo as it's all the smaller bits I've made, but once I have the castings back, you're welcome to swing by and have a look. I'm near j3 m25