Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Addictive Innit ???

Addictive Innit ???

Well today was our second visit to the Penrhiwpal shooting club, to again try our hand at Muzzle loading. Today was totally different to last Sunday, in the fact that Ali (my wife) and I actually got some rounds onto the target
    I think a lot of it may be down to the pistol we were using. Roger, who was the duty officer, let us shoot his Euro Arms, Stainless, Rogers & Spencer .44.
    What a pistol !!!, 1st time I fired it (2nd time shooting BP) and I scored 65/100, which might not seem too good to some, but I'm over the moon with it and of course now, I've got to have one . Last week we shot a Pietta Colt 1851 Navy .36 cal and I just managed to get 3 balls on the card (none in the scoring area ) So I'm now on the lookout for a .457 ball mould (preferably double cavity, but single will do) so I can practice making my own.
    "Black Powder shooting is the business" !!!!!! Next Sunday will not come around quickly enough !!!

Sorry for the pointless post, but I can't stop grinning, addictive isn't the word !!! If the police had stopped me on the way home today, they would have thought I was on something

All the best
    Baz

Quote Originally Posted by LONG REACH View Post
    Sorry for the pointless post, but I can't stop grinning, addictive isn't the word !!! If the police had stopped me on the way home today, they would have thought I was on something

All the best
    Baz
    I don't think it's pointless to post something which does not contain a lot of moans.
    I've just come back to France after two miserable weeks in England sorting out all the paperwork & burying my mother-in-law, so I feel a bit better hearing that someone else is having a good time. Good luck to you Baz
    ATB Dave

Thanks Dave,
    It just seems odd to be 50 yrs old and feeling like a kid again. I myself have been going through a very difficult time over the past 4 yrs (health wise), but I've now found something that my problems don't stop me doing and the grin factor is immeasurable, even my wife is enjoying it !!! So we hope everything goes OK with our probation and then we can apply for a firearms certificate, then we can get our own guns etc and not have to rely on the kindness of other club members, which has been the case over the past 2 weeks.
    Thanks again for your reply and please accept my condolences on your loss.

All the best
    Baz

greenshoots Guest
    Penrhiwpal shooting club
    could you provide location and facilities please

viv

Hi Viv,

If you have a look at their web site, it will tell you everything you wish to know. Ali (my wife) & I have only been going there for 2 weeks, but they are such a nice bunch of people, it feels like we've been going there for ages, as everyone is so friendly

www.penrhiwpalsc.ukf.net

All the best
    Baz

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Thanks Dave,
    It just seems odd to be 50 yrs old and feeling like a kid again. I myself have been going through a very difficult time over the past 4 yrs (health wise), but I've now found something that my problems don't stop me doing and the grin factor is immeasurable, even my wife is enjoying it !!! So we hope everything goes OK with our probation and then we can apply for a firearms certificate, then we can get our own guns etc and not have to rely on the kindness of other club members, which has been the case over the past 2 weeks.
    Thanks again for your reply and please accept my condolences on your loss.

All the best
    Baz
    That's what we like to hear! Congratulations, Baz!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Well today was our second visit to the Penrhiwpal shooting club, to again try our hand at Muzzle loading. Today was totally different to last Sunday, in the fact that Ali (my wife) and I actually got some rounds onto the target
    I think a lot of it may be down to the pistol we were using. Roger, who was the duty officer, let us shoot his Euro Arms, Stainless, Rogers & Spencer .44.
    What a pistol !!!, 1st time I fired it (2nd time shooting BP) and I scored 65/100, which might not seem too good to some, but I'm over the moon with it and of course now, I've got to have one . Last week we shot a Pietta Colt 1851 Navy .36 cal and I just managed to get 3 balls on the card (none in the scoring area ) So I'm now on the lookout for a .457 ball mould (preferably double cavity, but single will do) so I can practice making my own.
    "Black Powder shooting is the business" !!!!!! Next Sunday will not come around quickly enough !!!

All the best
    Baz
    Well, it may not seem good to some...but 65/100 = 130/200 (never doubt the benefits of a university education! ), and that's about what I'm shooting with my AIR pistol: and that's a lot easier to shoot, and I've had a lot more than two shooting session with it.

This also confirms something I've heard many a time: that those Colt Navies are pretty, but that they don't shoot worth a hoot, compared to the solid frame revolvers.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    That's what we like to hear! Congratulations, Baz!

Jim

Cheers Jim !!!

All the best
    Baz

Well, it may not seem good to some...but 65/100 = 130/200 (never doubt the benefits of a university education! ), and that's about what I'm shooting with my AIR pistol: and that's a lot easier to shoot, and I've had a lot more than two shooting session with it.

This also confirms something I've heard many a time: that those Colt Navies are pretty, but that they don't shoot worth a hoot, compared to the solid frame revolvers.

Jim
    Thanks Jim,

They're very encouraging comments and I think you are right about open frame revolvers, but them Colt's do look nice
    I definately think I've been won over by the Rogers & Spencer .44, closely
    followed by the Remington (New Model Army).44
    I've never tried Air Target Pistols, it seems too much of a strict discipline for me, as I haven't got the patience , or steady hand needed, I'm much more of a point and hope shooter. I'm sure what I did today was about 25% luck and about 75% using a very good gun. (nothing to do with me !!!)

All the very best
    Baz

Hi Viv,

If you have a look at their web site, it will tell you everything you wish to know. Ali (my wife) & I have only been going there for 2 weeks, but they are such a nice bunch of people, it feels like we've been going there for ages, as everyone is so friendly

www.penrhiwpalsc.ukf.net

All the best
    Baz
    It certainly looks like a great place.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I definately think I've been won over by the Rogers & Spencer .44, closely
    followed by the Remington (New Model Army).44
    I've never tried Air Target Pistols, it seems too much of a strict discipline for me, as I haven't got the patience , or steady hand needed, I'm much more of a point and hope shooter. I'm sure what I did today was about 25% luck and about 75% using a very good gun. (nothing to do with me !!!)

All the very best
    Baz
    You are too modest.

I have a Remington .44 on order: should be here any day now!

I'm NOT a serious target air pistol shooter -just a back yard plinker who shoots in a couple of the BBS postal competition. I'm likewise impatient and lacking in the steely nerves and steady hand needed to make a champion. But, I do have fun, and that's what it's all about in the long run, innit?

Regards,

Jim

You are too modest.

But, I do have fun, and that's what it's all about in the long run, innit?

Regards,

Jim
    Jim,

I can assure you that modest, is not a word normally associted with me
    and I do strongly belive the percentages were correct, if not a little under on the luck side of it

Having fun, is definately what it's all about, as it's no use doing it, if you can't have a laugh at the time (keeping safety in mind though !!!)

All the very best
    Baz

Long Reach,

Abandon all hope. You are hopelessly trapped by the muzzleloading spirits.

Anyone who has tried MLs knows exactly what you're saying. Just shed a tear for those who haven't shot one if you want to feel sympathetic towards someone.

Good shooting!
    The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

All the best
    Baz
    Baz

Introduced a club member to the seedy underworld of Black Powder last Sunday - guess what - a week later & his FAC application is in with a 44 revolver on it !!

His words were "it's a must have !!!!"

Cheers

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Baz

Introduced a club member to the seedy underworld of Black Powder last Sunday - guess what - a week later & his FAC application is in with a 44 revolver on it !!

His words were "it's a must have !!!!"

Cheers

Roy
    I understand his feelings completely !!!

The only thing that bothers me, is that I've been told that I probably won't be allowed 2 guns of the same calibre on my ticket, when I apply for it, which sort of throws a spanner in the works, as I would like a .44 Rogers & Spencer & a .44 Remington NMA, both in stainless !!!
    Is this a UK thing, or just where I live (South West Wales) ?

Anyway, the wife & I are going to pay a visit to our FEO, sometime in the next couple of weeks, to see if we can iron a few thing out and ask a few questions, as there's a lot I need defininte answers for, from source, as it were and I've heard our FEO is a very reasonable and nice lady to talk to.

All the very best
    Baz