Thread: is this a good idea

clarkyxxx Guest

is this a good idea

hey, i just want to ask whether you think this is a good idea, ive found an american site which ships internationally- and the prices are so cheap, this is the website- gun site

they sell top of the range simmons aetec scopes for $175, my dad is going to order one and hope customs dont find it- do you think this would be a good saving or will it not be worth it?

cheers

civvy Guest
    Hello Clarky. I work for customs and excise. You've been rumbled. .Civvy

I bought a cheap pop up hide/blide from the states, well it was cheap until the customs fellas slapped a £35 tax on it.

I thought that there was restrictions on the importing of scopes from the USA?

Dazz

clarkyxxx Guest
    far as i know its fine to import a scope, but im not sure

you better not charge me civvy

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    IMO if US supplier will ship to UK then it's OK to import (if believable, they're even more litigation/law abiding than most UK companies)

I've just bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker from co. in Chicago - typical price in UK shops £60-70; price shipped from states £35

HooperG Guest

Question Importing from USA

Out of curiousity, if a US citizen purchased a scope (with your funds, of course) and shipped to one of you as a "present", would you still have to pay taxes and customs fees?

clarkyxxx Guest
    dont know, good idea though

maty j is offline Nothing ventured, Nothing gained
    i found a site in usa that sold rabbit stoppers for under £40. but they dint ship to uk. im still looking tho.

blackfox Guest

Talking

PSSS !! get em to write machine parts on hahaha seriously though not a wise idea as the custom boys who work for tony bliars government are fond of slapping you with a bill fer more than the goods ....

Re: Importing from USA

Originally posted by HooperG
    Out of curiousity, if a US citizen purchased a scope (with your funds, of course) and shipped to one of you as a "present", would you still have to pay taxes and customs fees?

If you gave it to him, he unpacked decided he didn't want it, he could put any value on it he thought fair. I think the cut of for free import gifts is circa £28.

However, I find things coming here disappear in a black hole called Redhill Sorting Office for 3 months and then resurface with a Customs bill - UNLESS - they are sent Global Express Mail which seems to whizz through Custom's without touching the sides and gets delivered in approx 3-4 days of dispatch.

Global Express Mail costs more than Air Parcel Mail but at Redhill it seems to bear a charm'd life. See www.usps.com for details