Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How powerful is your HW45?

Quote Originally Posted by TCooper View Post
    Hi webranger,

Here are a few possible problems to check for when velocity drops in the HW45.

1 - Breech seal. Nicks or missing chunks will effect velocity. Sometimes a thin shim under the seal will help a sloppy or worn example.

2 - Broken mainspring. The HW45 often sees close to 10,000 shots before the spring is broken. I'm not sure if you shot this much in 2 years. Velocity will sometimes drop a bit when you pass the halfway mark but you had a large drop. Possibly the spring was not a good example.

3 - Dry pistol. I find I get best velocity when there is a very slight dieseling. After the shot I can see a very faint, palm sized, whitish cloud at the muzzle. There is no loud bang from the fuel burn and velocity is consistent.

Cheers,
    Todd
    It has seen much use, it is quite dry the seal seems Ok not checked the mainspring. I think it would definately benefit from a good tune.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If your gun has an "F" in a pentagon on it - then it is limited in power to the german limit of 7.5 joules (approx 5.5ft/lbs).

Most of the HW45's I have seen have this mark and as far as I am aware there are no 'export' version parts listed for this gun leading me to believe there were not differing versions produced.....

Weihrauch are normally very good at producing guns that are close to thier limits and given that .22 is slighty more efficient than .177 and the actions are the largely the same (some older .177's had thinner compression cylinder walls) one would expect the .177 version to produce around 5.0ft/lbs and the .22 nearer 5.5ft/lbs (the german 7.5J limit)

Again most Weihrauch's I've seen are fairly 'dry' internally when new, so anything producing over 5.5ft/lbs has most likely been over lubricated and is 'dieseling' - hence the 'extra' power.......

Skeltz .22 HW45 is much older than mine last checked it was still very near the limit, smoother cocking and firing cycle not been touched from factory. Think it was early 2000's. Mine is much more creaky and rattly but does have true glow sights a modern marvel.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

My .22 HW45 was purchased in June 2002. The first mainspring gave 5.7 to 6.0 FPE for quite some time. The second mainspring started at 5.8 FPE. The second mainspring is now down to 5.4 FPE but it's starting to fatigue. I think it has around 6000 shots on this spring.

My .22 HW45 does have the small pentagon with the "F" inside. I have tested velocity on 3 different chronographs... Chrony, Combro, SpeedTach.

My HW45 seems to function best with a very slight amount of controlled dieseling. Velocity is consistent and accuracy is very good. There is no "bang" sound and the smoke at the muzzle is very faint and very minimal.

HW45 details http://my.tbaytel.net/~coopers@tbaytel.net/HW45Review/

Pic showing small pentagon with "F"
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/airpics7/HW45a.jpg

Cheers,
    Todd

Mine does not have all that writing on it and the pentagon is on the very front with the F inside it But mine is very early

Eric
    Enjoy every step you take, you never know which one will be your last.

HW45 .177, approx 1.5 years old - less than 2 tins of pellets fired.

According to Combro chronograph:

4.4 FtLbs with RWS Hobby (within 2-3 fps each shot, amazing consistency)

3.5 FtLbs with RWS Super H point.

A bit on the low side? The main spring seems a little dry, could anyone recommend a good lube for it?

Hello everyone,
    Helpful thread for reference. I recently bought a brand new HW45, still settling in - it's dieseling a fair bit??? However, I haven't done anything to it, or added any oil/lube. I will update with chrono figures.
    Regards,
    Joe

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    They all seem to diesel when new - it'll settle down.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

5.6 ft/lb using .22 Hades and that's with a tbt drop in kit

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    They all seem to diesel when new - it'll settle down.
    Or when left for any period of time regardless of age...

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    A while ago, in an entirely unrelated matter, the police forensics department tested my HW45 and found it to be in excess of 9.5 ft/lb.

I informed them this was against the laws of physics and it was retested and found to be less than half that.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Probably couldn't see the readout properly through all the smoke .

Some of these figures are a bit hot for my tastes chaps - are you not a bit concerned about what might happen with very much heavier or lighter pellets?

Reprint of an old thread :-)

kobesean
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/images/stat...er-offline.pngRegistered Userhttp://www.airgunbbs.com/images/misc/im_skype.gif

Join DateJan 2010LocationBristolPosts95

Speed & Power: Weihrauch HW45 vs Diana LP8

This is a mini comparison review of raw power between the classic .177 Weihrauch HW45 (Beeman P1) and the newer .177 Diana LP8 Magnum air pistols; a simple head-to-head for anyone out there who is considering purchasing either and wants to know how the two stack up across three very different pellets and weights.

The HW45 has been around from the mid 1980's, and reviews and comments on this fine pistol can be found online with a minimum of searching. It has long since been recognised as the superlative spring piston air pistol - few others can come close to its build-quality and performance. The LP8 (literally, "Luft Pistole 8") is the 2009 reincarnation of the Diana P5 magnum and is a worthy pretender to the crown, continuing the sibling rivalry between these two German giants.

The competition between the two behemoths of German airgun manufacture, Weihrauch and Original/Diana, is legendary and dates back to the closing years of the nineteenth century. In more recent times the battle has seen more highs than lows for both companies. For air rifles, the HW80 (Beeman R1) was a world-beater for a good number of years until the advent of the more powerful Diana 48/52/54 series. In the UK, the Weihrauch brand has always been a better seller, not least for the simple reason that Weihrauchs tend to offer better value for money i.e. Dianas are generally more expensive, but also because of the superb Weihrauch Rekord trigger. Now that mail-order rivalry has all but disappeared, this difference in price is more pronounced than ever, and while the new T06 trigger in current generation Dianas is every bit as good as the Rekord, for a lot of people Dianas are still a secondary consideration when considering a new springer.

Unlike German air rifles, which generally have to be produced in at least three different flavours (5.53 ft/lbs, 12 ft/lbs and full power) their air pistols find a happy, coincidental restriction in terms of both simple physics and legislation: the strict German 7.5 joule power limit fits in nicely with the rules and regulations of a number of different countries, including the UK. In other words, the HW45 and LP8 are basically the same pistols wherever in the world you choose to buy one.

There is, as is often the case, another relatively new kid on the block in the shape of the Browning 800 Mag air pistol. However, it is not included for comparison here for the simple reason that it represents appalling value for money for UK buyers. Whereas it retails for only around £80 in the USA, it is not uncommon to find the 800 for sale for close to £200 in the UK which makes no sense whatsoever given that it is manufactured, under license from Umarex (Germany), in Turkey. Quite how the Americans manage to get such a good deal on this pistol, given that Turkey is a lot further from America than it is from Britain, is a mystery or, perhaps not - simply additional evidence that "rip-off Britain" is still very much alive and kicking. Nevertheless, it should not be ignored in the magnum class of spring piston pistols and is also worth investigating. Whilst on the subject of comparative costs, both the HW45 and the LP8 sell for the best part of 300 Euros just about everywhere - quality always costs money, no matter where you do your shopping.

My comparison is basically centred around the relative power of the HW45 and the LP8 (other online reviews will confirm their unquestioned design, build quality and accuracy). In the States, both pistols are heavily marketed as "700 fps" pistols, a common exaggerative advertising ploy using lightweight non-lead pellets. The preferred choice across the pond for attempting to achieve this mythical 700 fps speed seems to be for 5.4gr Gamo Raptor Precision Ballistic Alloy (PBA) ammo. Raptors are quite hard to source in the UK so, for the purposes of this test I have chosen to use Hungarian Skenco 5.4gr and Skenco 4.0gr (plastic + 40% metal mix, designed for "indoor plinking") for the high-velocity comparison, in addition to the more traditional 7.9gr RWS Superpoints.

My trusty HW45 is a few years old, but has never been overly used. For the purposes of this review a new spring and breech seal were fitted and the internals lubed (the piston and compression chamber were, on inspection, both bone dry). The LP8, on the other hand, is brand spanking new, straight out of the box, so one would expect the LP8's numbers to increase slightly over time as the piston seal settles down.

Here are the numbers through the chronograph:

>>7.9gr>>>5.4gr >>>>4.0gr

HW45 LP8 /HW45 LP8 /HW45 LP8

498.5 566.1 /588.1 700.4 /695.2 849.9
    503.0 553.4 /594.2 699.4 /701.3 849.4
    506.1 558.8 /605.7 700.3 /718.3 834.3
    501.9 558.5 /590.1 697.1 /706.9 832.3
    500.0 558.3 /594.2 703.5 /704.1 845.3
    509.3 558.0 /597.5 702.5 /700.0 838.5
    499.3 567.4 /597.6 698.1 /708.3 842.5
    502.8 561.0 /592.1 699.9 /703.7 853.4
    499.3 550.7 /581.3 695.9 /703.8 831.8
    504.9 568.7 /585.0 659.3 /699.3 836.7

498.7 550.7 /581.3 695.3 /695.2 831.8
    506.1 568.7 /605.7 703.6 /718.3 853.4
    502.1 560.1 /592.6 699.2 /704.1 840.7

Conclusion:

The Weihrauch HW35 is a very consistent performer, but struggles to reach 4.5 ft/lbs with all three pellets. I am not happy with these numbers and will update them later when I have fitted a new piston seal and the new internals have all had sufficient time to bed-in.

Straight from the box the Diana LP8 is blisteringly fast and amazingly consistent. In terms of raw energy at the muzzle it produces 5.5 ft/lbs, 5.9 ft/lbs and 6.3 ft/lbs respectively. The claimed 700fps velocity using non-lead ammo is not only passed, it is left standing in the dust - speeds in excess of 850fps are truly remarkable for a spring-powered air pistol and take the LP8 over the UK limit. It would be interesting to see if an all metal 5.4gr pellet could replicate the 700fps of the metal/plastic Skenco, so I will report back later how both guns perform when I have some of the new 5.0gr Thunderbolts in hand.

Cheers.

Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob. View Post
    Mine's a week old (still dieseling), and on Weihrauch F&T's I get;

ft/lb
    4.98 Average (SKAN chrono)

Let's call it 5ft/lb!

I'll try it with something heavier, see if that makes any difference.

Update: Just tried it with Bisley Magnums, and the power went down to 3.2 ft/lb !!!!!

Bob.
    As it's spring piston try with a light pellet .