Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RWS SCIMITAR?

RWS SCIMITAR?

I am considering an RWS Scimitar just for vermin control where I can't use my rimmy, are they any good or should I consider something else, I must admit I fancy something different and multi shot! (having already owned single pcp's only, falcon, air-arms, daystate etc.)
    opinions please guys?
    Last edited by nico243; 11-04-2004 at 12:00 AM.

Ask me tomorrow evening.

I'm about to get my first serious session, but with the .22 version. I'm usually a .177 man, so I'll have holdover probs, but its on the target range, not live quarry, and I'll try to post in the next couple of days with what I think.

It feels right coming up to the shoulder, and very natural to get the scope in line. To me, it feels just a little front-heavy, with the silencer on board, but tomorrow will tell.

Alan.

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    They are very nice guns indeed.

Only downside compared to the Cutlas/Cyclone is:

* More expensive to convert into Cutlas/Cyclone (if you would like to)

* Not possible to achive more then 27 ft/lbs in FAC (up to 34 ft/lbs for the other models)

Otherwise some of the best PCP airguns in the market.

Excellent rifles and perfect for the job you have in mind

Baz

Darren Petts Guest
    On the only one I've tried the grip was pushed back slightly on each pull of the trigger by the blast of air. I don't know if this is endemic or not but found it less than appealing.

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    This "blowback" is improved on present guns, now they are more solid.

Skimmer Guest
    I have heard that the finish on Scimitars comes off quite badly, ie that the stock is "coloured" black, and chips? Anyone know if this is true?

Now that they are discontinued, I wonder what the RWS support will be like?

Mike Pearce Guest
    I got a .177 version (special order only) and had small niggeling problems from day 1.
    Even though it was one of the newer guns occasionally it would blow open the mechanism (push the grip back), also as you took up the first stage the trigger would click. Not a problem as I wasn't using it for hunting but i would get used to it & expect it. On occasion it wouldn't click & the gun would go off before expected.

Then last week it started firing as I closed the action, or took the safety off, then it started not cocking at all. Suffice it to say it is now back with RWS.

Don't get me wrong, I love the gun, it fits well & before it started playing up performed well & at under 2Kg it's easy to carry, especially compared to my S10 rifle.

Ewok

Skimmer Guest
    Wow, thats super tolerance, I would be tearing my hair out with those sorts of problems! Did the finish seem "solid" to you?

Snapshot. Guest
    Are they still available now RWS/Ruag and FX have divorced?

Jonathan

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    Mike: Your gun need an adjustment, I would advice you to do this as soon as possible so that the gun wonīt fire when you donīt expect it.

If you're still looking for one, I've got a mint 22 calibre for sale at Ģ360.

Ring George (not me) on 07974 835045 for details.

Rich

Originally posted by Johnny - Sweden
    They are very nice guns indeed.

Only downside compared to the Cutlas/Cyclone is:
    * Not possible to achive more then 27 ft/lbs in FAC (up to 34 ft/lbs for the other models)
    Not entirely true!

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    Well itīs as always just a question of time and money...

OK, its more than a few days, but I have had an extended trial with the Scimitar now.

It is very well balanced. It is very accurate. It makes the S-16 feel like a workshop prototype. The feed is very good but it is possible to load twice. Care is needed in handling as its very easy to move the grip-shift inadvertently.

I am not a fan of multi-shot rifles, but I like this one, as it seems very straightforward to use, and mag changes are easy with the rifle still in your shoulder.