Thread: Zeroing in & Strays !

The Birdman Guest

Zeroing in & Strays !

Trying a new rifle out and seeing what pellets it likes. I'm trying H&N Trophy, Daystate FT's and Premiers. Why is it at 15 yards (My gardens lenth) it does one holers no problem (Rested of course) but once i get down the range at 50 yards, You get 2 out of 10 shots are strays ? This is in .22 by the way. This is purely curiosity as I know the usual .22 weight problems etc. I'm just interested in your opinions i.e do you think it could be damaged skirts, or more than likely the wind. It cannot be the rifle ? as 15 yards is ok ? or the .22 factor as all shots would be like this ? What do you think ?? Comments appreciated.

nealie Guest
    there's a big difference between 15 and 50 yarders........you'd need the dogs dangleys of air rifles to put one holers in at 50 yards.

Nealie

The Birdman Guest
    Oh yeah, Don't get me wrong. I mean why does the odd one or two jump 4 inches left or right etc ? Also constantly having to "Re-Zero" ? The wind ? Even on a very calm day ?

nealie Guest
    You shouldnt be re-zeroing.......the odd flyer happens......have you washed, dried and lubed the pellets? check for swarf and the like?

50 yards........getting 1.5-2 inch groups is good enough

The Birdman Guest
    Thanks Nealie, I didn't but will now. Also could the scope be a factor. Was using a cheap AGS 3-9x40 But have just got a Bushnell (Same Spec) yet to try the Bushnell, Reckon that will help as well ? Quality of scope ?

nealie Guest
    scope quality does make a bit of a difference..but not that much.....even the top PCP rifles struggle to put in sub 1 inchers at 50 yards

Scarecrow Guest
    Could be down to the pellets, but usually the likes of Daystate are pretty consistant. Alternatively your barrel may need a clean. Just a couple of possibilities.

you might now even notice it but there might be slight wind its pretty hard to tell when your 50 yards away.....

True. A 1mph crosswind will cause a deflection of about half an inch at 50 yards, roughly speaking. So it doesn't need much wind for your zero to have - apparently - shifted left or right since last time.

Rich

The Birdman Guest
    You have all enlightened me, Many thanks.