Thread: BSA Meteor Aimpoint 2 power scope

BSA Meteor Aimpoint 2 power scope

Hi Chaps,
    just picked up two BSA Meteors which are in half decent condition but what is most puzzling is a scope (?) that was on one of them. There is a sticker saying "made in Sweden, Aimpoint 2 power". I have no idea what this thing does or how it works! I assume its about the same age as the rifles-1970s?
    I will post a picture over the next few days...my wife is being induced at 8AM tomorrow morning so I will have a new baby to take pictures of as well!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I think it was a rather expensive early type of reflexive shooting sight. Ask I.J., who will turn it up in one of the earlier Airgun World's. I remember it it 1979 or so ... Probably worth a bit for a collector of that era's accessories.

Thanks, it does look odd, I will post a picture as soon as I can, it doesnt look very functional I cant see anything down the lense and its a bit Dickensianwith little sliding lenses at each end!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Thanks, it does look odd, I will post a picture as soon as I can, it doesnt look very functional I cant see anything down the lense and its a bit Dickensianwith little sliding lenses at each end!
    There is a mention of it in the Walter book 'The Airgun Book', a red dot should be seen when looking through the sight. It may need new batteries! They were very expensive and were similar to the 'Tasco Rama', another early red-dot sight. Must be quite rare.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 31-07-2008 at 07:18 AM.

airgun world nov 1979 , rod lynton did a article on reflector sights , one of which was the aimpoint,
    made in sweden, introduced in 1975, but only started selling in this country 1979,correctly termed a mirror reflector sight, uses an led battery
    also in airgun world dec 1980 again rod lynton used one on the test of a webley osprey, he fitted the sight with a 3x magnification attachment
    airgun world (again !!) july 1979 the back cover has a full page ad for the aimpoint, rrp £94 plus vat the ad reads

aimpoint is fast ! unlike telescopic and iron sights eye position is not critical, so no time is lost lining up with aimpoint. the electronic aiming dot seen through aimpoint need not be centered in the eyepiece. parallax-free,the dot will appear to be the same distance as the target. this makes aimpoint an excellent aid for hunting fast moving game. place the sharp red dot on the target and shoot
    the brightness of the electronic dot is adjustable, and there is a variable polaroid filter to alter the contrast of the target area. the dot is small , obscuring less of the target than the cross hairs of a telescopic sight. thus you can use aimpoint comfortably in bright sunlight or dim twilight, and accurately for short or long shots
    the electronic dot is produced by a light emitting diode powered by long life mercury batteries, it does not rely on external light to operate correctly. the high quality optics are anti glare coated. the case is a rugged light weight alloy, and is sealed against dust and condensation. the aimpoint electronic is proofed against shock even on the most powerful rifle

phew !! thought id never finish that
    all the best
    paul
    hw 80custom, , hw 35 luxus, hw35 std,

Not really suitable for air-rifle shooting then! More of a military & police sight or for hunting large mammals in woodland.

Pictures please, not of the baby (I like them but pleased mine are out of their nappy') .
    Aimpoint are still making premium dot sights today. Older versions were expensive, really too expensive for the airgun boys, and not that great being made for full bore applications. Don't think the value is much but I would be interested even if broken. I just want to have a play with it as I like this kind of thing.

is it possibly a modersn airsoft aimpoint replica? would have thought that kind of thing would be ris size rail not 11mm though so maybe not??