Thread: Paint...

Paint...

What would be the best paint to use to get a sort of woodland affect over the top of wood filler (I've started so I'll finish!) and car body filler?

The effect I'm after is the colour with the hollowed-out stock;-
    http://www.design-my-stock.co.uk/

Rob.
    War does not determine who is right; War determines who is left.

Pretty much anything you like, you can try an aerosol primer see if it reacts with the wood filler, it should be fine. then follow it up with a few coats of a green/khaki/brown make it messy and blotchy, then when dried lay some leaf litter ferns etc. over and spray a few light coats of sandy beige and brown and green over just till it looks messy but unidentifiable.

I might hand paint it...used to do Warhammer figures as a kid, and was pretty good...wonder if I can still do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoves View Post
    I might hand paint it...used to do Warhammer figures as a kid, and was pretty good...wonder if I can still do it?

Acid House is offline Rivi's very own Shrek (and Coronation Street fan).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoves View Post
    What would be the best paint to use to get a sort of woodland affect over the top of wood filler (I've started so I'll finish!) and car body filler?

The effect I'm after is the colour with the hollowed-out stock;-
    http://www.design-my-stock.co.uk/

Rob.
    1# Prime with high build aerosol (car accessory shop). Rub down between coats with fine abrasive paper and repeat until glass smooth. Any faults will be extenuated by the final finish.

2# Undercoat with your chosen colour (lightest first). This coat should also be fault free. Years ago before 'bagging' ( that’s what its called) the old time grainers used to give a final rub over with fullers earth but that’s getting a little deep and I can see your already falling asleep. You may as well use a khaki browy beige spray paint, if you can get one or mix your own with oil based undercoat and apply several very pissy coats, until solid.

3# Purchase some painters glaze. This is available in oil base or acrylic but your better with the oil based glaze when a novice because the working time is longer. The down side is, it will yellow a bit over time. The glaze is a thick gloopy medium for mixing with a colour. It remains wet for several hours when mixed and is a similar product to the old 'oil scumble' used by painters and grainers for wood effects on front doors etc.

4# Mix your first colour with glaze and paint it all over the stock. using a birds nest pattern. This mix will not cover evenly (it isn’t supposed to). Once covered take a heavy plastic bag, scrunch it up and push it firmly onto the wet glaze. Alternatively take some heavy cloth and do the same. The bag or cloth removes some of the glaze in patches leaving a strong pattern on the stock. Before it dries take the softest paint brush you can find and soften the pattern. This is done by very softly flicking the surface of the stock away from yourself in all directions of the pattern. Don’t overdo this as it will turn into a marble effect, just enough to take any ridges out of the glaze. This used to be done with a badger hair brush, still available but around £70 each.

5# Repeat when dry using another colour but with a lighter plastic or material. Once completely dry varnish several times.

It should cost you no more than around £100 for materials but you will only use tiny amounts.

You did ask..

By the way if using acrylic paints and glaze you have to bag the glaze on rather than bag it off if you know what I mean.......
    Enlightenment is only a click away http://www.rivington-riflemen.org
    If a man talks in the woods and nobody hears him, is he still wrong?

The good old 'Humbrol' enamel paints in Matt, you can get them from any hobby shop, they do not react with wood filler, and they also have all the colours to make a good camo design, top them with a varnish

OR, get a car spray primer, and then use car spray paints, topped with a few coats of laquer

The airsoft guys highly recommend krylon for camo. This link shows a pretty effective way of doing it.
    hoplophobe

Cheers for all the advice guys, I'll post pics when I'm done...at this rate it'll be after bluddy christmas....too many projects. I gotta stop procrastinating!

Not sure if THIS is of any use to you , I did this a little while back using three colours and building it up in layers .

Start with a light base then lay some foilage over the stock and blast away with a contrasting colour - keep going until you achieve the desired effect .

atvb

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_J View Post
    Or you could ask PadE on here to do you a nice paint job. He's really very good.
    Why thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by mozzy
    The good old 'Humbrol' enamel paints in Matt, you can get them from any hobby shop, they do not react with wood filler, and they also have all the colours to make a good camo design, top them with a varnish

That's what I used done a how to thread >HERE<

or you can do >THIS< type, which basically 'freehand' spraypaint

HTH
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK