Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: simmons aetec 2,8-10x44 phillipene

simmons aetec 2,8-10x44 phillipene

Hi,
    I think people need to post more reviews on there scopes,cheap,expensive or what ever just to give new people a idea of what they can get or what not to get.

simmons aetec 2.8-10c44 phillipene is the old model,not the new and it is in my opinion on par with a few double its price and has features that no other scope has.

build quality,
    it is a true plex "duplex" and is fixed paralax,1 piece construction with aspherical if i have spelt that right, lenses is which means it is oval shaped and i beleive it is not glass but a synthetic mould.
    it is solidly built and looks like leupold at the back end with locking fast focus eye piece which helps with any paralax error you may get.
    it is a small light weight scope around 11.9 in lengh and will sit on low to medium mounts "depending on rifle".
    its a real light weight scope at 15.5ozs.

adjustments,
    are the coin slotted typ but dont let this put you off as i can turn them buy pressing my thumb firmly against them.
    clicks are smooth and audible with a positive feel to them and they are the screw on cap and forget type.
    zoom ring is firm and smooth a long with fast focus eye piece.

Glass,
    fully multi coated aspherical lenses that are on par with leupold vxiii in my opinion but the vxiii is a bit brighter.
    it is crystal clear on every mag with no distortation or blacking out or blacking from in side tube showing.
    It is excellent for night work as well and a bit brighter and clearer then the wtc range.weird?the scope is 2.8-10x44 so objectives 44mm?it actually measures 56mm overall i dia metre.
    the eye box is big compared to most and i guess this is where it gets its big field of view from.
    facts,
    no other scope can match the aetec with field of view,on 2.8mag it is 44 foot at 100 yard and 14 foot on full mag.
    no scope of simular mag comes close and you really can notice the difference as i have compared to 3mag scopes and even big 50-56mm objectives.eye relief is 5 inch and very easy on the eye.

overall,10/10 for price, 9/10 for brightness,10/10 for build 9/10 for clarity,10/10 for night clarity and 10/10 for a budget buy that will smash most double it asking price.
    i would say snap these up if you come across them for what ever price under £200 but remember the old version which is phillipene model not the new,i have read bad reviews on the new aetec but personnely can not comment.you can tell this by the prices,the old aetects like mine reviewed were £250+ and new ones are at £150 ish.
    tell the difference,
    the new one has a different zoom ring,the old one has a locking type simular to the wtc and leupold.
    objective housing has aetec engraved with some scroll work which is neet.

hope you enjoyed the read and may be other owners will comment, remember this is the old phillipine not the new one.
    ATB

Where did you buy yours?.

i have one of these, original version. Awesome scope.

Nowhere near Stowmarket Suffolk thank god
    I have two, one on my 10/22 and one on my AA S400.

The fellers spot on they are simply superb 10,000% better than the new ones that do not deserve the Aetec name.

Stop telling people how good they are else they will become more sort after and the second hand price will go up

I have the old model 3.8-12x44 Aetec and, for those shooters not requiring any fancy reticles, this is a fantastic scope available at ridiculously low prices.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marky610 View Post
    I have two, one on my 10/22 and one on my AA S400.

The fellers spot on they are simply superb 10,000% better than the new ones that do not deserve the Aetec name.

Stop telling people how good they are else they will become more sort after and the second hand price will go up
    I know,i was thinking that but the scope deserved the review.
    hi mate, keep your eyes open as if i tell you where i got mine then i will have no chance in getting another.
    remember the review is for the old phillipene model not the new.
    people with the old will rarely sell on,expesialy for cheap so expect to pay in excess of the price of new for a new version or may be you get lucky like me.i put mine up for sale and then with drawed it as it was to good to let go for the price.
    but as i said these are worth paying up to £150-200 as there simply stunning for that money "my opinion" other people or your self may have different opinions,so dont go and buy on just my review " i would sa try and have a look threw one and scope for that matter before you buy".for airgun use and close range on the magnification of mine,most scopes cant touch it and if they do its purely on brightness and clarity,nothing else and they are way more then double the price of these aetecs when they were new.
    hope you enjoyed the review and all the best .

ps lovely knowing you got a scope better then scopes double the price

Hi All.
    I have three aetecs, One 2-8-10x44 on my CZ Rimfire.
    Two 3-8-12x44 on my Rapids. Excellent scopes, except one
    of the illuminated reticles does not work. This is no big deal
    but i would have it repaired if i knew where to send it.

Quote Originally Posted by samboy View Post
    Hi All.
    I have three aetecs, One 2-8-10x44 on my CZ Rimfire.
    Two 3-8-12x44 on my Rapids. Excellent scopes, except one
    of the illuminated reticles does not work. This is no big deal
    but i would have it repaired if i knew where to send it.
    I'm sure I've seen an advert in Gunmart for someone doing scope repairs, just a small ad in the firearms section I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddbob08 View Post
    I'm sure I've seen an advert in Gunmart for someone doing scope repairs, just a small ad in the firearms section I think.
    you have,paul burke,live up by me.
    may be a loose connection some where.
    if you bought it new you should have limited life time warranty but be care full as they tend to replace the scope and you dont really want the new aetec.
    i would say go to simmons as they will probly fix for free and paul burke will charge £50 pluss just for a service.
    on there site theres a contact link,i contacted them as i wanted a sun shade,they got back to me quick but couldnt supply the sunshade.
    does any one know any sunshades for other rifles that will fit?
    weird thing is,is its 44mm but when i measure its around 54mm,got a 44mm off here other week and wouldnt fit.
    atb

Help on Simmons spares

Martin1

Can you give me a contact for Simmons spares. I just need a pair of windage and elevation adj caps for my aetec.

Obliged if you can help

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by eddieb View Post
    Martin1

Can you give me a contact for Simmons spares. I just need a pair of windage and elevation adj caps for my aetec.

Obliged if you can help

Cheers
    hi mate,
    if you googe simmons optice uk go on there site and contact there number and emails there,
    i never had it to hand to just post sorry but thats the way i contacted them,make sure its simmons uk as theres simmons.com.
    atb

Simmons

Hi Martin

Thanks for the info, however when i contacted Simmons UK they cannot help me saying they dont keep any spares and dont know how to get them.

Pleasant enough on the phone but no suggestions how to obtain any spare caps.

And thats the agent for Simmons, Only interested in selling new gear.

My scope is model no 800865 if anybody can help i would be grateful.

Hi Martin1, thanks for this and a good, comprehensive read.

I think your suggestion for more scope reviews is an excellent point. My only thought is for a real scope comparison test -- ie lots of different scopes side-by-side with some kind of qualitative comparison point. I think Nick Jenkinson has done this a couple of times in the magazines and I love reading them. I have three different scopes as per my signature. Your post has fired me up to set aside some time, sometime, and do a little review of each and make a conclusion in comparison to price.
    Last edited by C3PO_1; 27-08-2008 at 07:45 PM.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Well I've seen a new 3.8-12x44AO Philipene made Aetec going for £224.99 plus postage, are they that much better than the WTC 3.5-10x50? These are going for £50-£60 less, is the extra money worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddbob08 View Post
    Well I've seen a new 3.8-12x44AO Philipene made Aetec going for £224.99 plus postage, are they that much better than the WTC 3.5-10x50? These are going for £50-£60 less, is the extra money worth it?
    well,not really,they are better on field of view"way bigger" and a little clearer at long distance "the aetec is"
    if you have looked threw the new ones and the wtc i should think the wtc is better then the new ones as the new ones are not manufactured in the same phillipene factory as before.
    i would grab your wtcs while you can too as once there gone there gone as there dis continued.
    real shame as now there is no real good sub £200 scope in my opinion and nothing that can touch the wtc in its price bracket or even double,aetecs and wtc in my opinion are better the leupold vxi and vxii at nearly double the price,says it all really.
    atb