Thread: So how do I get rid of the last of the stain? Stock finishing

So how do I get rid of the last of the stain? Stock finishing

Right, I’ve got all the old varnish of my FWB127 stock and I’m quite pleased with the result very few dings just a few blemishes.

I striped it with chemical striper getting the last few traces with a combination of wire wool and paint stripper.

I think, looking at the grain, the wood is beach stained a sort of mahogany colour.

So how do I get rid of the last of the stain? It’s not even and there are a few dark marks on the wood as well.

I am concerned that if I just sand it off I will loose the shape around the but pad and damage the checkering.

Has anybody tried wood bleach?

If so what type do you recommend?
    • 2 Part Peroxide
      Chlorine
      Oxalic acid

What about soaking it in white spirit will that soak the stain out?

Any other suggestions for getting the stain out of the wood.

Many Thanks Ora

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    When I did my HW77 stock, I used fine sand paper, 00, 000 and 0000 grade wire wool, to remove the stain and smooth the stock.. Just be careful around he butt pad area, and maybe mask of the chequering, does not really matter about the stain there, as its dark anyway.

On the stock subject, I recently carved out a lovley place for the palm of my hand to go on that stock, with helps me grip it better.
    It took 1 hour, 1 black and decker cordless drill, a round sanding pad for said drill and a little effort for a really professional job (IMO anyway).
    I would post some pictures but my digicamera is really crappy.

Pete

WOODFORD-GREEN ESSEX (WHAT YOU LOOKING UP HERE FOR
    I USED HOUSEHOLD BLEACH,CAME UP NICE AND LIGHT READY 4 A COLOURED STAIN.JUST LET IT DRY 4 A GOOD WHILE,WELL HAPPY WITH END RESULT.

roblade is offline Time for a coffee........;-)
    lots of elbow grease and working down the grades of the sandpaper/wet dry paper. i thin i can imagine where your having the problems? just in front of trigger guard and on base of comb where it joins the pistol grip? though i may be wrong but this is where i have my problems.

as long as you are going to be using a dark stain and not a light one you should find that resatining it will cover any blemishes.

but the most important thing to rember would be preperation! pleanty of time in the sanding then the easy part of restaining

if you do a search on here about refinishing stocks theres pleanty of advice to be had by a more people more knoledgeable than i on this matter. can also get a good few words of wisdom here

sanding stocks and so much more

BTW even if you do take a little too much off the but and have overhang on the butt pad.... rember these three little magic words

ADJUSTABLE BUTT PAD

amazing the sins of the paper it hides

hope this helps you a little

ROB
    Last edited by roblade; 24-05-2004 at 09:14 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) the bunnies are coming!
    (")_(") THE BUNNIES ARE COMING!!!!!

to spring? or not to spring? that is the question. oh sod it get them both!!!!

if i am right you have sweat stains. a small crack in the protection has let in some sweat.
    depending on the age and usage of the rifle depends on how deep this will be.
    i`ve only done this once, but you take a cotton tea towel, soak it id realy hot water and lay it on the blemish. leave that for a couple of hours, take the towel off and leave another four hours.
    use crocus paper to smooth down, let dry. check the stain.
    if it`s a realy deep stain this will take some time as you are doing the same as raising a small dent. the difference being, the oil in the wood from sweat will come out with less coaxing.