Thread: First Timer AA TX200HC?

Airbornedaddy Guest

Question First Timer AA TX200HC?

Hi Folks

As a 'newbie' to the sport I want to start off with a pretty good gun so as not to have to spend more money up-grading. Would I be doing the right thing going for an...

AA TX200HC, TX200 III, HW97K

or something along these lines? I was advised by someone in the know to go for an underlever b'cos of accuracy and a .22 cal b'cos I want to hunt rabbits etc and he recommended his HW97k. I have read through various threads on this site and know that these guns are all pretty much in the same league but I could do with a few more people telling me I am doing the right thing before I spend so much dosh (her in doors aint too happy so a quality second hander may be a viable option. Sell my mountain bike indeed!!!!!!!!)

Thanks for any help in advance....(any help would help!!)

Cheers

ABD

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    Steve,

The HW97, TX200, and TXHC, are all great rifles, and all about the same weight. You will not go wrong with any, my advice is to go to a good gun shop, greenfields in Salisbury for example, and try them there, as its really important to get a good fit, and find what suits you. There are lighter rifles on the market, but they are not as stable, so they recoil more. I would also advise you to go for .177, and most on the BBS would agree with me. Its a better calibre for hunting on a sub 12 ftlb gun.(one that does not need a firearms cert) as it flies faster and flater, it goes further and is more forgiving for range finding, and belive me, if you hit the right spot, Mr Bunny is a goner, with .177 or .22. .177 just makes it easier to do.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Pete

Scarecrow Guest
    I would second what PeteB said. I originally bought a TX200HC in .22 for hunting, but sold it not long afterwards for a .177. Haven't looked back since, having put loads of bunnies in the pot with the smaller calibre.

The TX series and the prosport shoot better out of the box but the 97k will be nicer to shoot if your interested in tuning it up.

My own personal choice would be the Prosport but thats purely because i really like the looks of it.The concealed underlever makes it look like a full bore rifle.
    Also agree with going for .177

Hope this helps.

roblade is offline Time for a coffee........;-)
    its been said before and i say it again LOL

the three you have chosen are all brilliant rifles, all it comes down to is personal choice.

if you can try to get to your local gunshop where you can try them out or failing that pop along to your local club. (if your unsure where your local club is pleanty on here can help out with that )

but the .177 is exactly the same power level as the .22 and is much easier to shoot at variouse distances as the pellet travels a lot flatter and faster than the .22.

all hunting shots with airrifles should be head shots so anything you shoot with the rifle is not going to mind a .177 or a .22

but try the rifle out before you buy, al the rifles youhave chose though are more than enough for any shooting you might decide to take up.

but as for break barrel being worse this is not really the case, it may have been years ago but technology has caught up so much now that all things are pretty much equal.

and finally unless you want the honour of owning a rifle no one else has shot there are pleanty of decent folk out there selling equally decent rifles second hand, just check the sales section.

it just brings those slightly higher quality rifles that would be out of price range new into your hands for the same money as a lesser rifle new, you just know it adds up

hope this ives you a little to mull over in your quest

all the best

ROB
    Last edited by roblade; 24-05-2004 at 09:57 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) the bunnies are coming!
    (")_(") THE BUNNIES ARE COMING!!!!!

to spring? or not to spring? that is the question. oh sod it get them both!!!!

ABD

I'd pretty much echo what everyone else is saying. I shoot a standard TX MK3 and love it to bits. I've also tried the HW and although cannot fault the quality I find the TX better allround.

Before you part with your hard earned dosh, try to test the guns, not at a shop where all you can do is get a feel for the weight etc, but go along to a club and try them for real. I don't know what clubs are in the Salisbury area but as you're in Tidworth you're only 30mins down the road from Basingstoke where you'll be welcome to come along and have a go. I won't be there for the next couple of weeks myself due to work commitments but if you send me an email I'll see if any others might be around. Alternatively I can phone you and let you know the next time I'm about.

If you want more info on the club go to www.barpc.org.uk

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

I think P-S says it all, Go to a club, most folk are very friendly and generally shooting well set up combinations. I am always happy to let someone shoot mine and have generally met like minded folk. It will give some insight into the scope you might like.
    I would certianly suggest 2nd hand, you will probably pick up gun, scope and bag for less than the cost of a new gun.

As for .177 or .22, it's a matter of personal choice as you can see on this thread.

ATB Voldy

DJP Guest
    TX200 (full length or HC) in 177 - you will NOT be disappointed!

Airbornedaddy Guest
    Thanks for the input guys it's given me a bit to mull over. I know the questions I put out are the old favourites on the BBS and I'm sorry if it gets a bit mundane but hey....

Thanks for the offer to come to your club Bob I might just take you up on that in the near future but I'm a bit layed up at the minute after being blown up in Iraq (convelescing at home at the moment feeling sorry for myself) I'll email you soon.

Thanks again

Steve

Airbornedaddy Guest
    Managed to pick up a nice HC in .177 second hand. Can't wait to get out with it. Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers

ABD

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    Originally posted by Airbornedaddy
    Managed to pick up a nice HC in .177 second hand. Can't wait to get out with it. Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers

ABD
    Ah.. a happy ending !

ps/ good choice

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    Both theise guns are excellent choices IMHO but they are indeed very heavy.

Feels kind of weired to carry a 9 lbs rifle with "only" 12 ft/lbs...

Glad you're sorted steve. Look forward to seeing you when you can make it up to the club.

BTW, will off line for a few days got to get some work done on the old. PC.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975