Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odd thing

odd thing

when i shoot at paper targets i do not have the same success as when i shoot at 3d objects. i can easilt hit a 1.5" target at 50m if its the bottom of a can but if its a paper target i dont have the same results. any thoughts on this?
    thanks
    si

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Same here - I think one tries harder - paper is just SO boring
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Kev.G Guest
    is the paper blowing about in the wind i kid you not,i wached a bloke the other day trying to get tight groups at 60 yrds on paper,which was flaping about

kevG

pinned down

no mate its pinned to a piece of plywood. i have also tried drawing little bunny shapes with a bull in head etc but still does not work. i wondered if its because i see 3d better. and i seldom miss anything that has a pulse. it makes practice v hard though and it is starting to irritate me as its difficult to identify possible problems with consistency.

At last someone who has the same problem as me, i was out this morning for an hour when i finished work. i set a paper target up in my pellet catcher at 35 yrds but couldnt get a very good group, i but an old 7up top on a nearby brick and hit it first shot, i then had the bottle spin out to 50yrds. i walk on 2 more fields and got a rabbit and a magpie both at 35 yrds, i tried at the paper target on my way back to the car and just gave up as a bad job.
    Is it because im trying to hard at the paper punching and not shooting naturally ?

You just need practice, just nip down to the pet shop and........ I'll get my coat

JB
    Never eat yellow snow
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I have exactly the same problem. My take on it is that shooting the same bit of paper ten times means you loose interest and therefore concentration. I always zero as quickly as I can and don't spent time 'seeing what size groups I can get'. I'm fine in the field as regards accuraccy, though I definately need to work on range estimation.

LagomorphHunter Guest
    Think you're right here. I find practising on standard targets boring too, and out of interest, tried doing some shots as if I was having to take a head shot on a rabbit, when I don't have much time i.e. when the rabbit sits up and is about to do a runner on you. Not a fast panic shot (I'd miss), but a swift, careful shot. I do shoot differently, this way. Worth practising this too, does help me! More fun too.

http://www.kermitairgunclub.com/targets/

has some 'fun' targets.

LHunter

PS Still blushing from my wife Sarah's post.....

Eduard Guest

Smile

Same thing with me. I shoot quite often few thousands shots a months. Recently I tried to get a close group of ten shots at 100 meters and hardly could make a circle about 150 mm. At the same time and the same distance I easily hit 9 of 10 aerosol paint balloons, putting bottom to me (60 mm diameter). Don’t care about it and just shoot for my pleasure not for results. Much better shoot for crows

****** hell! Whats the power limit for you Ruskies?

swamprat Guest
    Six Megatons with multiple warheads I think.

Snapshot. Guest
    I have the opposite problem, probably because I don't hunt very often so it gets the adrenaline going too much. Put me in the nice covered range and, like last night, I'll stick all ten .177 pellets through a 10mm or smaller hole at 20 metres.

Jonathan

I rarely get a decent group on paper targets , i think i tense up to much trying to stay absolurely still trying to get bullseye , after a few shots i get bored , but when i strung up a washing line and put a load of wooden clothes pegs on it , i can smack em everytime and they either splinter to bits or spin madly around the line , but ive also noticed if subconsiously i dont care if i hit it or not , i tend to always hit it

i put it this way , if i see a target i bring the rifle up look through dcope pull trigger .. smack its down , this take seconds and i dont think about it ,
    but when paper punching i concentrate to much to try and get an accurate shot as possable , this always means i spend to much time lining up and therefore i tense up and get irratated

just my views there
    i wonder if any of you get tensed and irratated at paper punching

swamprat Guest
    I must be wierd then, because I prefer paper targets and checking group sizes and positions.

I plink in order to be better for hunting - paper targets talk back to me, if you know what I mean. They relay information back to me about how I'm shooting, if I'm snatching the trigger, drifts to the left or right, etc.

Knock down targets, on the other hand, bore the @rse off me. Dunno why, but after a couple of shots at them I lose interest and start patting me pockets for a fag.

Zanx Guest
    Originally posted by swamprat
    I must be wierd then, because I prefer paper targets and checking group sizes and positions.

I plink in order to be better for hunting - paper targets talk back to me, if you know what I mean. They relay information back to me about how I'm shooting, if I'm snatching the trigger, drifts to the left or right, etc.

Knock down targets, on the other hand, bore the @rse off me. Dunno why, but after a couple of shots at them I lose interest and start patting me pockets for a fag.
    How about chalk discs, very tactile.