Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20

Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20

I studied photography many yrs ago, so I understand fully that there are good and bad lenses and if you want quality you have to pay for it (usually). For just plinking in my field for practise and close range ratting/rabbit hunting I really didnt think there would be much advantage to using premier glass. I was so wrong...
    On my Alros and my Skan I have used:-
    unbranded 3-9x40......acceptable(just) but crosshairs seem to waver, mechanics were poor and I constantly felt the need to blink
    Edgar Bros Optitoo 3-12x40......excellent on my Trailsman with its longer construction but of limited use on my Skan.
    Hawke Pro Stalk 5-20x50....looks great on my Skan (if I want to look like someone out of Robocop), optically excellent but just makes the whole kit unbalanced so pointless.
    Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20.........its beautiful!!..the construction is solid and reassuring yet it seems to weigh nothing, the mechanics of the zoom are as smooth as silk, the zeroing is easy because the adjustment is so precise, and optically it is stunning. Edge to edge sharp, the reticle is pinsharp at all times despite no eye-adjustment, its bright and clear until late evening. And it suits my Skan wonderfully, the balance of the rifle remains, shooting freehand is so easy..
    And all this because I popped into a gunshop for a tin of pellets and spotted this little gem lying on a shelf, unloved, so I made an offer and got it for £35!

ps......I just found three old eggs in my fridge so placed them on mounds of sand and from 50 yds took three eggs with three pellets, who needs huge magnification???
    Last edited by Sir_SwampThing; 04-08-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: ps
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

As you say great scope, but I think you'll find it does have eye adjustment, take another look, the eyebell rotates and is secured by a knurled lock ring.
    Dave...

HW90 .22 MapPro 3-9x90Diana Mod 34 .22 Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20

These are fantastic scopes.

I put one on my AA TDR for squirrels.

I wish they would make a version with a mildot reticle as I prefer them to duplex reticles.

One of my all-time favourite 'scopes was the Tasco 1.75 - 5 X 40 on my old Weihrauch 80.

Too many shooters go for excessive magnification in my opinion.

maximus otter
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

The little Simmons is a fantastic scope as you say and these days amazing value for money too.. I personally like a bit more mag and mildot so probably the 'best small light' scope is now the Bushnell Elite 2-7x32. A little bit larger but still very compact and excellent quality.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

bigglesworth Guest
    Be careful which rifle you mount your Simmons on ,my "lively" BSA 0.177 Supersport wrecked my WTC.My smooth 0.22 HW95k would have probably been O.K.,I`m sure these scopes arn`t spring-gun rated,but they are still IMO the best compact scope on the market.

Take care

Kenny

hi

agree, great scope....obvious limitations at distance or lower light..BUT, my mounted on my S410 carbine is proper pidgeon basher....love it...
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Little WTC

This scope is that good that i`ve bought another one for my Merlyn!

nice review,ive just bought one off here so im well pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesworth View Post
    Be careful which rifle you mount your Simmons on ,my "lively" BSA 0.177 Supersport wrecked my WTC.My smooth 0.22 HW95k would have probably been O.K.,I`m sure these scopes arn`t spring-gun rated,but they are still IMO the best compact scope on the market.

Take care

Kenny
    As it is centrefire rated it should be fine for any springer and if it wasn't just claim on the warranty.. I seem to remember that in Terry Doe's review of the Theoben Dual Magnum the pictures show him using it with the Simmons 1.5-5x20. That beast made most springers seem as smooth as silk.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesworth View Post

Take care

Kenny
    The WTC is FAC rated cos this guy in Sporting Rifle Aug`08 mag,has got a WTC scope on his Benelli 30-06 for shooting Wild Boar!!So if you say your air-rifle wrecked your scope,then i doubt it very much!If this WTC can withstand the recoil of a 30-06 then its certainly gonna take a slight nudge off your popgun!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullet boy View Post
    The WTC is FAC rated cos this guy in Sporting Rifle Aug`08 mag,has got a WTC scope on his Benelli 30-06 for shooting Wild Boar!!So if you say your air-rifle wrecked your scope,then i doubt it very much!If this WTC can withstand the recoil of a 30-06 then its certainly gonna take a slight nudge off your popgun!!!!
    It's the way a spring gun recoils that does the damage, it's a two-way kick, so scopes do have to be 'spring gun rated'. Powder-burners are more of a hefty shove backwards. I would think something semi-auto would stress a scope in a similar way.

Having said that, there is a slow-motion clip on youtube of a .50bmg rifle being fired, the whole rifle and scope whips about like a rubber xxx toy
    Last edited by Oddbob08; 16-09-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddbob08 View Post
    It's the way a spring gun recoils that does the damage, it's a two-way kick, so scopes do have to be 'spring gun rated'. Powder-burners are more of a hefty shove backwards. I would think something semi-auto would stress a scope in a similar way.

Having said that, there is a slow-motion clip on youtube of a .50bmg rifle being fired, the whole rifle and scope whips about like a rubber xxx toy
    Cant see a BSA Supersport wrecking a WTC scope tho-can you,if it can take the recoil off a 30-06??

Right that's it, I've heard enough...I getting one. Had my eye on one for too long. Best little scope I had was early 80s Tasco 2.5-32WA. Streuth that thing was soo clear. Everything you say reminds me of it.

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Right that's it, I've heard enough...I getting one. Had my eye on one for too long. Best little scope I had was early 80s Tasco 2.5-32WA. Streuth that thing was soo clear. Everything you say reminds me of it.
    Christy,i had my 1.5x5-20 back yesterday and its the second one that i`ve bought now.THey really are a brilliant scope-you wont be disappointed!