Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20

I studied photography many yrs ago, so I understand fully that there are good and bad lenses and if you want quality you have to pay for it (usually). For just plinking in my field for practise and close range ratting/rabbit hunting I really didnt think there would be much advantage to using premier glass. I was so wrong...
    On my Alros and my Skan I have used:-
    unbranded 3-9x40......acceptable(just) but crosshairs seem to waver, mechanics were poor and I constantly felt the need to blink
    Edgar Bros Optitoo 3-12x40......excellent on my Trailsman with its longer construction but of limited use on my Skan.
    Hawke Pro Stalk 5-20x50....looks great on my Skan (if I want to look like someone out of Robocop), optically excellent but just makes the whole kit unbalanced so pointless.
    Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20.........its beautiful!!..the construction is solid and reassuring yet it seems to weigh nothing, the mechanics of the zoom are as smooth as silk, the zeroing is easy because the adjustment is so precise, and optically it is stunning. Edge to edge sharp, the reticle is pinsharp at all times despite no eye-adjustment, its bright and clear until late evening. And it suits my Skan wonderfully, the balance of the rifle remains, shooting freehand is so easy..
    And all this because I popped into a gunshop for a tin of pellets and spotted this little gem lying on a shelf, unloved, so I made an offer and got it for £35!

ps......I just found three old eggs in my fridge so placed them on mounds of sand and from 50 yds took three eggs with three pellets, who needs huge magnification???
    Last edited by Sir_SwampThing; 04-08-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: ps
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

As you say great scope, but I think you'll find it does have eye adjustment, take another look, the eyebell rotates and is secured by a knurled lock ring.
    Dave...

HW90 .22 MapPro 3-9x90Diana Mod 34 .22 Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20

These are fantastic scopes.

I put one on my AA TDR for squirrels.

I wish they would make a version with a mildot reticle as I prefer them to duplex reticles.

One of my all-time favourite 'scopes was the Tasco 1.75 - 5 X 40 on my old Weihrauch 80.

Too many shooters go for excessive magnification in my opinion.

maximus otter
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

The little Simmons is a fantastic scope as you say and these days amazing value for money too.. I personally like a bit more mag and mildot so probably the 'best small light' scope is now the Bushnell Elite 2-7x32. A little bit larger but still very compact and excellent quality.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

bigglesworth Guest
    Be careful which rifle you mount your Simmons on ,my "lively" BSA 0.177 Supersport wrecked my WTC.My smooth 0.22 HW95k would have probably been O.K.,I`m sure these scopes arn`t spring-gun rated,but they are still IMO the best compact scope on the market.

Take care

Kenny

whitetail's, so good i got two!

picked one up secondhand from local gun shop for £60 with mounts about a year ago,love it so much I just got another from a freind for £40, with mounts for my sons R10 bsa, much better than his previous scope a leapers 3-12x44 30mm tube illuminated & hardly notice it's on gun the weight's so compact,shows up many a bigger scope in poor light.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    picked one up secondhand from local gun shop for £60 with mounts about a year ago,love it so much I just got another from a freind for £40, with mounts for my sons R10 bsa, much better than his previous scope a leapers 3-12x44 30mm tube illuminated & hardly notice it's on gun the weight's so compact,shows up many a bigger scope in poor light.
    Snap!...yesterday I bought yet another example of the classic little Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20WA and a ProAir 4-12x40, at £100 for the pair I simply couldn't resist

These seem to change hands on the S/H market for around the £50 mark, and that makes them absolute bargain in my book.
    blah blah

I've got one of these on my .357 Magnum - Marlin Carbine. Only had it a few weeks, its fantastic!!

I've had quite a few of these over the years - they are brilliant scopes

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by GATMAN View Post
    I've had quite a few of these over the years - they are brilliant scopes

Paul.
    me to very good for the price!
    still have 3/10/50 on my rimmy and at 130m i can head shoot the bunnys no probs!with the bi pod,thay are very very good scopes.
    i have 1 or 2

aetec

if u think the whitetail's good try a aetec much better optically+build quality one's made in the phillipines are the best

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    I'm thinking about using one on a Theoben Evolution Carbine to compliment the size and weight of the rifle but despite reading all the positive reports I find it hard to believe that it has enough magnification

Is it really enough to shoot at a range of 30 - 35 yards?

WTC 1.5-5x20

Quote Originally Posted by chris u'5 View Post
    I'm thinking about using one on a Theoben Evolution Carbine to compliment the size and weight of the rifle but despite reading all the positive reports I find it hard to believe that it has enough magnification

YES!Got mine on my Rapid 17-Brilliant Scope!!!!!!
    Daystate Renegade .177,Daystate Forester LE .22,Daystate Huntsman Classic .177,Daystate Huntsman Regal .177,Daystate Bullpup 2000 .177,Weihrauch HW45 Custom .22,Weihrauch Silverstar .22,Weihrauch HW77K SE .22,Weihrauch HW35E .22.

Quote Originally Posted by chris u'5 View Post

Funnily enough I used my first one on an Evo Carbine (Fenman in those days). It was very clear with fantastic target acquisition and superb image quality. The top mag of 5 may not be enough but there again 35 yards isn't a long distance in shooting terms. Depends on your eyesight really.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 23-12-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.