Thread: Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20

I studied photography many yrs ago, so I understand fully that there are good and bad lenses and if you want quality you have to pay for it (usually). For just plinking in my field for practise and close range ratting/rabbit hunting I really didnt think there would be much advantage to using premier glass. I was so wrong...
    On my Alros and my Skan I have used:-
    unbranded 3-9x40......acceptable(just) but crosshairs seem to waver, mechanics were poor and I constantly felt the need to blink
    Edgar Bros Optitoo 3-12x40......excellent on my Trailsman with its longer construction but of limited use on my Skan.
    Hawke Pro Stalk 5-20x50....looks great on my Skan (if I want to look like someone out of Robocop), optically excellent but just makes the whole kit unbalanced so pointless.
    Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5x20.........its beautiful!!..the construction is solid and reassuring yet it seems to weigh nothing, the mechanics of the zoom are as smooth as silk, the zeroing is easy because the adjustment is so precise, and optically it is stunning. Edge to edge sharp, the reticle is pinsharp at all times despite no eye-adjustment, its bright and clear until late evening. And it suits my Skan wonderfully, the balance of the rifle remains, shooting freehand is so easy..
    And all this because I popped into a gunshop for a tin of pellets and spotted this little gem lying on a shelf, unloved, so I made an offer and got it for £35!

ps......I just found three old eggs in my fridge so placed them on mounds of sand and from 50 yds took three eggs with three pellets, who needs huge magnification???
    Last edited by Sir_SwampThing; 04-08-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: ps
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..