Thread: Webley 'service'

Angry Webley 'service'

Just phoned up Webley after some spare parts- a set of stock screws for my Stingray, and maybe a carbine barrel. Firstly, the b1tch at the other end was surely the most unhelpful, patronising cow who has ever lived. Wouldnt let me speak to the engineer, who I've heard would do a good price. Then she told me that a barrel would be £76! Pull the other one.

Fair enough, the barrel 'might' be worth that (once they've charged their premium to a loyal customer of their products). But I was pretty much choking when she quoted me £8.99 for four screws (plus postage, so OK-ish, if you accept you're going to be ripped off), THEN told me she wouldn't accept a credit card for under £10. That is ridiculous, at work our minimum charge is £5.

Now what really gets me is how bl00dy awful their service is comparared to their main rival, BSA. When I phoned up BSA for some spare parts, the lady at the other end was actually friendly towards me, and said she'd get them in the post right away! No charge (though I was quoted a sensible amount for some screws with BSA)

Webley, your service stinks. Sort it out.

Anyone found a supplier of the screws for a Stingray? And don't say Chambers...

Pat... Guest
    The 'bitch' at Webley is usually one of the most helpfull and knowledgeable people you could ask for..

The quality of the reply usually reflects that of the question.

must have been you mate!

I have to say whenever I've telephone Webley I've always got excellant service from all who answer the telephone, also the parts prices I thought, were suprisingly cheap
    Reg

Troubledshooter Guest
    Originally posted by Pat...
    The 'bitch' at Webley is usually one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people you could ask for..

The quality of the reply usually reflects that of the question.

must have been you mate!

Couldn't agree more.

I have been dealing with Webley for over a decade, and have not experienced the attitude that you describe.
    The person one would normally speak to is Mrs.Franks, the administrator for the works, or one of her staff. They are not encouraged to put anyone through to an 'Engineer', particularly for the purpose you describe, as this takes his attention away from sorting out a genuine problem.
    I have to agree that some of their spares prices appear rather high, but unfortunately, apart from the odd freebie, this is a fact of life in the gun trade.
    Webley and Scott was in dire trouble when the current owners took it over, so higher prices is part of the effort to keep it profitable and still in business.

I've never had a problem with Webley/Venom, only helpful courteous people who were a pleasure doing business with!
    Whenever a problem arose with any of my rifles or I needed anything it was dealt with there and then while I waited. I've met and chatted at length with many of the guys there including Ivan, Terry, Simon and Steve all of whom took the time to explain things to me (even if I seemed a bit thick) A good friendly team if you want my opinion.

Dazz

The lady on the phone (Paula?) is great - it's their email that's crap

I must say that I have written to and rang up Webley a few times for spares over the years and only ever had excellent service from them... service above and beyond the terms of the guarantee. I have bought many Webley products, used them a lot, and will continue to do so due to the great service I have had from them.

Don't know what happened there...

Fair enough chaps, maybe it was a bad day for her, perhaps her cat died this morning or something!

Can't agree with Reg over the parts prices being cheap, though I do understand that they're going to make a profit somewhere. But £8.99 for four screws and postage is a bit steep. Ok, so £3.50 P&P is a fair price. So that leaves £1.37 per screw? I think not!

DM80 Guest

webley

i've found over the years webley to one of the best aftersales & customer service their is never had a problem yet & they are always very professional' their prices for spares etc seem ok to me better than most companys in the trade.

Dave.

Troubledshooter Guest
    Originally posted by stevew
    The lady on the phone (Paula?) is great - it's their email that's crap
    It's normally Carol (Mrs. Franks).

Sid Guest
    Why don't you find out what thread the screws are and go buy them from an industrial supplier, maybe in stainless ?
    If you spin a good tale at the trade counter you'll probably get them for a nominal fee...

You obviously have a brain, so use it

Originally posted by Troubledshooter
    It's normally Carol (Mrs. Franks).
    I stand corrected
    BL00dy Brummie accents....

Originally posted by Doobin

Can't agree with Reg over the parts prices being cheap, though I do understand that they're going to make a profit somewhere. But £8.99 for four screws and postage is a bit steep. Ok, so £3.50 P&P is a fair price. So that leaves £1.37 per screw? I think not!
    I have never brought screws (have allways done as sid suggests) I had a complete exhaust valve for my Axsor £20 +P&P not bad I thought
    Reg

Sid- its a funny thread, I took it down to my local hardware store who are usually very good. Couldn't work out what they were. Deos anyone know for sure?

I need to put in an order for a few (thousand ) nuts and bolts at work, so they'll probably go on that order once I work out what the thread is. Does anyone know offhand?

Troubledshooter Guest
    Try your local Motorbike workshop, particularly for allen screws.
    Many of the screws on modern guns are metric, as on many motorbikes.
    It may help if the boss is a friend, but I am sure most workshops would sell you a screw(of the fixing variety ) for a lot less than £1.