Thread: HW30 or HW50?

HW30 or HW50?

I want a small-sized rifle that can do double-duty as mainly a rifle for the kids, but not so small that i could'nt use it myself. Decided to go with weirauch due to build, sights, trigger etc. I have looked for a used HW50, but not come across one. I know you can purchase an HW 30 from Hull cartridge/dealers, from what i've read an 'S' version with the rekord trigger can be got to special order. I have now found somewhere that has a new HW50, obviously not imported by Hull cartridge (i did'nt even think they made the 50 anymore). This is not the 'S' version, so does not have the rekord trigger. I am assuming the 50 is smaller than the 99? Does the 50 have more power potential than the 30?( for future hunting forays) Plenty of questions, which do i go for?
    Thanks in advance,Mark

michaeladkins Guest
    Mark,
    The hw50 has much more potential as a hunting tool than a 30 which is a basic small starter rifle.
    The 50 IIRC put out around 10 - 11 ft lbs but could be tuned to imporve on this slightly.
    The 50 is a well made, accurate and solid rifle made to the same standards as its bigger brothers, If not a record trigger fitted then the 50 has the Perfekt (sp) trigger unit which is very good and more than useable!

These sometimes come up for sale at very reasonable costs second hand as i believe many people think the 50 is not up to its bigger brothers in terms of build and performance.

Unfortunately there do not seem to be that many of them about so you may have to wait to find a nice 2nd hand version??

michael

I.M.O. if the budget will stretch that far I would go for the HW95 (weight 7.25lbs, length 43ins) over the HW99 (weight 7lbs length 43ins). The HW30 (5.5lbs length 40 ins) while a lovely gun (our club has 6 of) it is basically a junior rifle and I doubt could attain full power and remain useable/accurate. The HW50 (6.7lbs length 43.3ins) is capable of being tuned to full power and I.R.C. an article in Sporting Air Rifle was written on this subject.
    The Perfect trigger, while good, is no match for the Rekord unit I.M.O.
    I usually suggest to people that they visit their local airgun club and try the rifle in question out but in this case they (HW30 & 50) are quite rare.
    H.T.H.
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks , both very informative. I have an hw95, its not so much the weight for the kids, but stock dimensions,the HW95 being an adult rifle. The main objective is a nice rifle for the kids, but something that is useable by me. I take it the 50 stock is smaller than a 99, for instance? I did'nt realise the 50 was getting on for 7lbs weight? The extra tuning potential of the 50 appeals as it will last them as hopefully their interest in the sport develops. Thanks ,
    mark

Originally posted by kram245
    [B I did'nt realise the 50 was getting on for 7lbs weight?
    mark [/B]
    6.77 lbs according to John Walters, The Airgun Book.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks I.J, that may rule the 50 out.I know the HW 30 has got small stock dimensions, i presumed the 50 was sub-full sized adult,
    cheers,mark

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    I own a .177 HW30S with the Rekord triggerunit and they are very common in Sweden.

Cheap, very accurate, just legal within our 8 ft/lbs limit and very fun to shoot.

This is the same gun as the modern Beeman R7 (except for the stock) and they are very popular in the US.

Sure, it is a junior rifle but they are very easy to enjoy even for fullgrown shooters and IMHO a far better choice then the present BSA Meteor.

Mine shoots at 7 ft/lbs and it is perfect for shooting starlings and similar pests out to a distance of around 30 yards.

Thanks Johnny, with your recomendations, and advice from others, i think the HW 30 is the one to go for, in terms of ease of use for kids.Plus , as you say, i can still have a blat with it! Anyone know who stocks the HW30S on the shelves, instead of special order? As michael says, i can always keep an eye out for a used 50 as a project for myself,
    thanks,Mark

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys

Arrow hw 50

Quote Originally Posted by kram245 View Post
    I want a small-sized rifle that can do double-duty as mainly a rifle for the kids, but not so small that i could'nt use it myself. Decided to go with weirauch due to build, sights, trigger etc. I have looked for a used HW50, but not come across one. I know you can purchase an HW 30 from Hull cartridge/dealers, from what i've read an 'S' version with the rekord trigger can be got to special order. I have now found somewhere that has a new HW50, obviously not imported by Hull cartridge (i did'nt even think they made the 50 anymore). This is not the 'S' version, so does not have the rekord trigger. I am assuming the 50 is smaller than the 99? Does the 50 have more power potential than the 30?( for future hunting forays) Plenty of questions, which do i go for?
    Thanks in advance,Mark
    the hw 50 uses exactly the same piston as the 99, but a diff spring.
    go for a 99 much better.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by shauny View Post
    the hw 50 uses exactly the same piston as the 99, but a diff spring.
    go for a 99 much better.
    THIS THREAD IS TEN YEARS OLD

The children mentioned will now be in their 20s.

Thanks in advance,Mark
    Trigger is hard to reach for youngsters on both, I had to put a set back in my hw30s for just this reason
    Have you thought about a uk Webley like Exocet - better proportioned for child / adult usage imo

I like my 30s, in 177 for bell etc. If you might want to eliminate odd pest go for a uk Webley in 22 and have it sprung for 10.5 / 11 so it's a little easier to cock than 'full on 11.5'

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Handy read for later births then LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

as they are now in their 20's I recommend a 95!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    as they are now in their 20's I recommend a 95!
    Really? My '95 is shit.

If the OP is still alive after all this time - I might try to sell it to him

Thanks Johnny, with your recomendations, and advice from others, i think the HW 30 is the one to go for, in terms of ease of use for kids.Plus , as you say, i can still have a blat with it! Anyone know who stocks the HW30S on the shelves, instead of special order? As michael says, i can always keep an eye out for a used 50 as a project for myself,
    thanks,Mark
    Dauntsey Guns of Dauntsey near Chippenham Witshire according to their website have a HW30s in stock, in .22 calibre I think.They could send it to your local RFD .