Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking after your action...

Question looking after your action...

how do you guys keep your action sparkling and your blue deep and beautiful? the action on my webley is proving a right bugger to look after - it keeps getting 'streaking' across it, comes off easily with a bit of cloth i got from my local gunshop, but is there anything else i can use to prevent this? i tried WD40 which just seemed to be a dust magnet, even though i kept the gun in the bag, and have some silicone lubricating oil which says on the packaging that it can be used for polishing metal parts... not so sure though. any tips?
    graham
    Graham

SWAT Strachan is offline I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    All I use is a little IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol) on a cloth to remove the dust and grime, then give it a eipe over with another cloth moistened with Bisley Gun Oil. My S410 is about 3 years old now and still in pristine condition.
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    I find that Hoppes No 9 Lubricating Oil leaves a nice sheen over the surface of my guns, without being 'sloppy'. If you are not too generous it does not attract dust or grit.

Alex

Pat... Guest
    The usual method is to keep the gun inside, don't get it near any dirty fields and refrain from using it for its intended purpose.

There a plenty of members on this board who can teastify to this excellent method of gun preservation.

michaeladkins Guest
    I know people use all sorts on thier guns but i have always used parker hale GUN oil or something with the word GUN on, I have found this to be more that excellent and have never suffered marks of any kind.

I just get it out, dry it off, rub it down with a rag and put it away again, ummmmmm

michaeladkins Guest
    Originally posted by Pat...
    The usual method is to keep the gun inside, don't get it near any dirty fields and refrain from using it for its intended purpose.

There a plenty of members on this board who can teastify to this excellent method of gun preservation.

Take no notice of Pat as he has a very "strange" way with his guns.
    The first thing he does on getting a new gun is to take it out of the packing (after he has jumped up and down on the unopened package a few times) , dent the woodwork with a pin hammer and then gives the metalwork a good rub down with a wire brush.

He then keeps the rifle in this condition by rubbing down after each use ith his great big sweaty (and i mean BIG) hands.

Michael

RochdaleLad Guest

Re: looking after your action...

Originally posted by noopsdogg
    i tried WD40 which just seemed to be a dust magnet, even though i kept the gun in the bag
    Never, ever store your rifle in a gun slip... Unless you leave the end open and shove a few packets of sillica gel inside.

It's the quickest way to rust a rifle, as I found out.

I made myself a little gun rack and fixed it inside a cupboard. I also knicked a few pillow cases from the airing cupboard. Shove one of those over the barrel and scope etc. Keeps the thing protected from dust etc.

Works for me.

edit: although that doesn't exactly answer your main question though. Phil Bulmer in this month's AGW says Sillicone spray is good for wiping down blued metal - *shrug*

Ravenskull Guest
    try youngs 303 oil- it works wonders, and smells lovely!

Pat... Guest
    Originally posted by michaeladkins
    Take no notice of Pat as he has a very "strange" way with his guns.
    The first thing he does on getting a new gun is to take it out of the packing (after he has jumped up and down on the unopened package a few times) , dent the woodwork with a pin hammer and then gives the metalwork a good rub down with a wire brush.

He then keeps the rifle in this condition by rubbing down after each use ith his great big sweaty (and i mean BIG) hands.

Michael
    Works for the wife so I figure use the same method on the guns.....

Re: Re: looking after your action...

Originally posted by RochdaleLad
    ....... I also knicked a few pillow cases from the airing cupboard. Shove one of those over the barrel and scope etc. Keeps the thing protected from dust etc......

You're not telling the full story here are you, tell 'em how you got smacked in the nose by your missus for knicking them pillow cases

Len
    Theory Men: They all know how it should work but it doesn't
    Practice Men: Everything works but nobody knows how

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    WD40 is just as good for keeping the metal work spick and span, and no, just because it does not cost as much or say gun on it, it does not take the bluing off or cause any damage what so ever. I have used it for years and know plenty of others that do also, including gun smiths. dust will stick to anything oily on the metal work, just a fact of life really.

Pete
    Last edited by PeteB; 25-05-2004 at 05:12 PM.

excellent. thanks for the tips lads, especially for the one about keeping it in a gun bag..... could have screwed up an otherwise lovely gun without that one.
    fair enough then, ill stick to the WD40 approach, ive had a gun b4 that was apparently maintained solely with wd and it was lush, must be something to do with this SH*T hole that is known as uni accomodation (and the condition i keep my room in maybe??)
    cheers again fellas
    Graham
    Graham

Originally posted by michaeladkins
    I just get it out, dry it off, rub it down with a rag and put it away again, ummmmmm
    I BEG YOUR PARDON!!!!!!

Seriously though, I use 3-in-1 oil, I also use it inside my barrel as well.

Being a skinflint I also use White Spirit to clean the barrel and those yellow dusters as cloths (they are lint free).

For a pull through I found some steel cored twine - its bl**dy strong!

I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

LouisCorney Guest
    How long do those silica gel sachet things last? Will it be ok to store the gun in a case with some of these, and and a good wipe down with napier gun oil? (containg the vp90 rust inhibitor stuff)

michaeladkins Guest
    One more thing,
    I have stored my rifles, in thier gunbags, in a cabinet for the last 15 odd years and have never had one rust on me yet.
    The reason is because i always make sure gun+ bag are completley dry and gun has a good rub down with oil before being put away, on very wet days i take the action out of the woodwork, and only use good quality fleece lined bags not plastic ones.

I was not having a go at anyone earlier who uses wd40 or whatever, its just i like to use gun oil, Just the way i like it like know wot i mean guv.