Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Ripley Rifles still in business ?

COROVICD Guest

Are the Ripley Rifles still in business ?

Hi,

I've been phoning in whole day on their regular number (01773 748 3530) and thre is only answerphone, but nobady is picking up.

Are they still making and reparing airguns ?

Dejan

Gary C Guest
    Yes

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    but reliabilty is an issue with newer rifles.
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Richie w Guest

Davros

I have am waiting for my Ripley been over 17 weeks now another 3 weeks I have been told. Can you explain more about reliability as I have an XL9 on order and would like to know more about what you know?

Cheers

COROVICD Guest
    My guess is that they are realy small family run business, and although they make high quality rifles, they sell too few rifles to cover the costs and employ enough staff. I can tell you that I am not looking forward to waiting 5 months, in the midle of the season, for the simple repair.

My XL1 just stoped taking the air from the diver's bottle.

Dejan

Dave. Guest
    I'm assuming that Davros is refering to quite a few regulator and consistancy problems with new Ripleys' over the last couple of years, I know of quite a few that have had to go back for repair more than once.

About a year and a half ago, my brand new XL9's reg died in the first hour of using it - but they repaired it very quickly. I had no more problems with the reg and to my knowledge it performed well with its next owner.

Lionel

Gazo Guest
    Yes Ripley are still going, they have one of my guns in for repair.
    l spoke to them on the phone the other day. keep trying you should get a reply.

cheers

Gary

ianr Guest
    whats the ripley website

Paul Hudson Guest
    Hi Ian.

They haven't got one - too busy making superb rifles

Paul.

Originally posted by Dave.
    I'm assuming that Davros is refering to quite a few regulator and consistancy problems with new Ripleys' over the last couple of years, I know of quite a few that have had to go back for repair more than once.
    Dave, spot on mate.

I know of at least 6 myself - it shouldn't be happening on rifles with long build times and which cost as much as a decent second hand car. I am glad I got shut of mind when I did and moved over to the 400 - more consistent and no reg to break.

LeeH

sniper22 Guest
    i bought an xl1 a fortnight ago and took delivery of my AR5S last week.
    at the moment, john is basically running things as well as making the rifles as steve is otherwise engaged with his wifes poor health.

why not give the lads a break and offer support instead of moaning.
    ok, the regs were faulty, so what? even rolls royces break down. its a mechanical device at the end of the day.

Hi Sniper

Not moaning mate - just passing comment on very poor quality control - if you can't make something right or can't check it beforehand, don't bother. The rifles cost a lot of money and take three month to build, so there shouldn't be any excuses as far as i am concerned. If the incidence of breakdown was low, I wouldn't say anything, but to hear of new rifles going straight back is just not right.

This is just my opinion, but rest assured, I won't be owning another Ripley.

LeeH

P.S on the subject of support - where was their support when I phoned repeatedly to ask about a problems with my rifle? No return phone call, nothing.

P.P.S. I have been made aware of other issues in the company, but I still stand my conviction that if your paying for a product, should should expect the service to be done correctly.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 24-05-2004 at 08:30 AM.

JDP is offline Tricktickler J. Valentine
    Originally posted by sniper22
    ieven rolls royces break down.

Errr no they don't. According to Rolls they suffer from "mechanically challenged moments"

CZ 452 .17HMR Silhouette CZ 452 .22lr American AYA sideplate model 25 Churchill rib HW98 .22 -for sale Anschutz 1700 .222 double set trigger

COROVICD Guest
    When I orriginaly complained about them not answering the phone I didn't understand that they have problems. I think that Ripley air-guns are pure art of mechanical engineering and that we are really lucky to have them in UK. They are very small company, working on tight margins, and can not afford the customer service that a big box shifting mail order company can.

If we are keen of preserving what is left of quality engeenering in UK we should just have a little more patience. That is all.

Cheers,
    Dejan