Thread: Stirrup pumps, hard work or not too bad?

Zanx Guest

Stirrup pumps, hard work or not too bad?

Just bought a Stealth 2000 from the sales section and was wondering if I should bother getting a hand pump or whether it would be better to save and go for the tank option. If the hand pump only takes 10 mins to get a 500ml bottle up to pressure then it's no big deal but any longer than that will be a pain in the butt. Any suggestions?

jonathanjones Guest
    I was in the same boat as you m8...i bought a s-16 and asked advice , most peple told me to get a tank, but in the end i decided i wanted to be totally self reliant. So i bought a rws pump from jsr for 97 quid, and to be honest it isnt easy to pump to 200 bar, but i find it ok(although i am young and fit). Bear in mind that you have to get a cylinder tested every five years and 300 bar is the only option in my opinion. good luck whatever you decide

cheers
    jonathan

jonh Guest
    An air cylinder is the best option.

Much less work for lazy tarts like me.

Zanks,
    You rotten thing, I'm trying to track down a Stealth myself.

Depends on you use; target work, I'd suggest the tank option, I use my S16 for hunting and have a spare bottle so its not too bad to keep one pumped up using the stirrup pump. I have to agree with JJ that doing it from scratch for the first time is daunting, but once you're there its easy enough to keep the pressure up.

HTH

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

The Stealth takes about 5 min for each 50 bars.
    20 min from empty!

I can pump for about 5 min before taking a rest, and I get sweaty.

Being a cyclist, I'm both fit and used to pump!

i use a pump as i mainly do hunting etc pumping little and often is no problem. 50 pmps = 50 shots give or take

however if i were getting through couple hundred pellets a session i would go with a tank

RochdaleLad Guest
    Well... I'm a fat b*****d, out of condition (8 years as a computer geek) and I suffer from M.E. (although I do have youth on my side).

I managed to pump my Career from practically empty to full in about 20 mins. Sure, I was knackered but it wasn't _that_ bad.

If you're young and relativly fit, sod a bottle and buy a pump. When you get old and worn out, sell it and buy a tank

The plus side to a pump is it gives you a good work out - who needs a gym

David.

Get a bottle. You will eventually want one and then you'll lose £40 on your pump. I know from experience. Especially if you have to fill often or don't get many shots per fill.
    John
    Rule are for the guidance of wise men and the unswerving obedience of fools!

Zanx Guest
    So how many refills are we looking at from a 300bar 13l tank?

Never considered that a pump might qualify as "exercise".

Depends on the air capacity & fill pressure of your rifle, but say 40 refills for a 180Bar Stealth rifle.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Zanx Guest
    Originally posted by Davestate
    Depends on the air capacity & fill pressure of your rifle, but say 40 refills for a 180Bar Stealth rifle.
    That's pretty good really considering the price of tank refill.

i would say more than that, i get about 43 out of my 300bar 7lt to my S400 classic.
    Daystate Airwolf .177 - Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP

zanx it not hard at all pumping up the gun ...

you will get more out of breath pushing your supermoto a few yards

i got my pump from bar for about £110 and it took 2 day from when i ordered it on the last bank hoilyday...

sean

If you do buy a pump, ensure that you do not let it get too hot from over-pumping as this will create more moisture than the filter can handle. Take regular breaks.

I have used a pump to fill an air-pistol's cylinder to 200 BAR and it wasn't as difficult as it is made out to be. However, a 400/500 cc buddy bottle may well be a different kettle of fish - especially if you are filling an empty one. Top-ups shouldn't be a problem.

I would opt for a tank as it's more convenient and the air is drier than that got from a pump.

Rustam

P.S.: Don't use a pump if you have heart, back or knee problems.
    Last edited by Rustam Bana; 26-05-2004 at 07:10 AM.