Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new shoot, advice needed

duggie Guest

new shoot, advice needed

Hi,
    l've just got permission for a my first shoot, theres plenty of rabbits, l've taken the time to visit the ground (without rifle) at different times of the day, early morning and late evening seem to be the best time regards to rabbits being out and about, what l need to know is what is the best way for me to go about hunting them, should l just hide up in one position and wait, or just keep moving. The times l've been there the rabbits spook quite easily, now if this happened on a shoot would it be best just to hide up and wait for them to reappear or just move on.
    Cheers. Duggie

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Take the rifle for a walk, do some stalking.

When they get spooky, go for the hide shooting, but until then have fun

Wherabouts in Kent are you - I do free "day trip" consultations
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

duggie Guest
    cheers Buddyboy, l'm in sunny Ashford, its taken me a little while to get this shoot, theres conditions laid down by the owner, but once l've got my feet under the table and things hopefully go well, maybe we could arrange something.

Hey Duggie,

I'm in Sunny Ashford too just thought I would say hi. Good luck with the shoot mate and well done.

Cheers

Clive

LOL - just joking about the visit mate, it's your shoot, your rabbits - I've plenty of my own to keep occupied

Just move around slowly, and with cover behind you so you don't stand out against the horizon...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

new shoot

i recently got a new farm to shoot on no one had hunted there for about three years. the bunnies had never seen or heard a gun or spotlight before. it was great for a while. my advice is if you think that you could miss leave it and move on that way they will not run away next time as soon as they see you. approach from down wind if you can. also hunting at night is good with a spotlight. a slight wind is good to cover noise you might make.
    you prob knew this anyway but if not hope it helps
    si

lazapell2003 Guest
    oh and make sure your guns loaded when you fire it

theres to many shooters in kent !! thats why its so hard to get anywhere to shoot!everytime i go to aland owner or farm they've had 2or3 already.good luck on ur shoot

scott
    "stuff" is just"stuff" but happieness is hard to find!

Duggie,

For best results if you don't think you have the necessary stalking skills is to lay in ambush as it were.

Visit the land and identify the best areas, then choose a good vantage point downwind with good cover and a good rest. A good vantage point could be as simple as some long grass or as complicated as a hide. Make sure you wear some sort of camo jacket and hat to help you blend in with the surroundings, a camo rucksack is a handy item too because you can use it to carry all your gear and as a rifle rest. To make things even simpler you can place range markers in your killing zone so you will know exactly how far away your targets are. Zero your rifle at your preferred range and then do some target punching to see what the pellet does at different ranges. Make a note of your hold over/under and take that with you when you go shooting.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Clive

Duggie,
    I think you've answered your own question there, when you say that they spook quite easily when you have wandered around - just use that to your advantage. Lie in wait and ambush them as they come out for the evening, you'll get a few before they catch on.
    Rabbits on my shoot run off when the first one is shot, but tend to poke their heads out about 10 minutes after that, just in time for the second to bite the dust etc etc.

Anyway all the best when you get out there.

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

duggie Guest
    Had the first hunting session tonight, went out about 9.30ish, just me and my Son and his raider .22, we waited up in some long grass, sure enough 10-15 min rabbits appeared, l spent a little while this afternoon zeroing in the rifle so l knew it was spot on. l took the first shot, l know full well l hit the rabbit, we both heard the crack on impact but that rabbit turned and ran for cover, had to wait awhile before they came out again, second shot was also a good hit, this rabbit literally left the ground, but again scuttled back into the undergrowth, now this leaves me wondering, two good hits but no kill, the rifle is a raider 2 shot that was chrono checked a few weeks ago, (just under 12lb) the shots were taken well within distance (25-30yrds), do l carry on or have the rifle checked again?
    Duggie

Wherabouts on the head did you hit 'em ?

duggie Guest
    l'm almost certain the hit was just behind the eye (side on)

Originally posted by duggie
    l'm almost certain the hit was just behind the eye (side on)
    Nothing wrong with that than ! Was it a crack or a thwock ?

duggie Guest
    definite crack, l was reading a post on here yesterday other lads were talking about similar experiences, maybe l'll try looking that one up, trouble is my lad wants to go out again later tonight to do some lamping, hes young and excited l'm old and cold!