Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the quarry

Airbornedaddy Guest

Question What to do with the quarry

Hi Folks

This is probably a real bone question but is it good sport to shoot things that you don't eat? I eat rabbit and pigeon but can't imagine eating crows or the other corvid quarry.

So what I really want to know is if you won't eat it should you shoot it? If yes what do you do with it once it is a gonner?

Cheers

ABD

LagomorphHunter Guest
    Easy for me, my ferrets eat it!

Good question though. Chuck it somewhere sensible for the foxes to get, or bag it up for 'clinical waste' disposal style.

If like me, your council has decided to pick up wheely bins once every two weeks, any dead I put in there, can climb out again after a few days...... Have to double bag and take to the dump really.

I do tend to shoot only what I eat, including squirrels (yum!), but sometimes I'm tasked with other vermin, or get the odd manky rabbit, which my ferrets and dogs are more than happy to eat too.

LHunter

dersbum Guest
    hi abd

generally shoot crows an rooks whilst carrying out crop protection and shoot maggies because of the damage they can do to other wildlife. rats are an obvious target as not many people will complain about being rid of them.
    as for it being sporting it is pest control really. the sport lies in the hiding and stalking i.e. getting close enough for the kill.

if the species is inedible or diseased i dispose of the carcasses by fire at work.

you got any good shoots up tidworth way?

rgds bill

swamprat Guest
    rubbery rabbit meat covered in grass and hair
    They do tend to taste better if you skin 'em first.

Burn the rats and leave the rest out for the foxes. It's their grub, anyway, I just save 'em the trouble of catching it.

Mick, (who is on nodding terms with some very rotund Reynards...)
    Another Old Git.

Phil FH70 Guest
    I leave the dead rabbits by the side of a hedge. This is the farmers wishes, and its his land. I know where i have left the rabbits, but they are always cleared away by the next time i go around. he is happy to have the foxes and badgers on his land, i have seen them both when out lamping.
    Phil FH70

Airbornedaddy Guest

Ta V Much

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like my dog will be well chuffed with the new additions to his bowl!!

As for good shoots in Tidders I'm not too sure at the mo 'cos I'm just starting out. Keep you posted though

Ta

ABD

napier Guest
    i got a chalk stream on one shoot i tie a wieght on a few dead rabbits and feed up the crayfish....there getting bigger by the week soon be time for a few traps...and boy they taste great...the numbers are increasing because of my efforts so thats not a bad thing..

zooankski Guest
    is it important to cook the rabbit before giving it to the dog?-hows the best way to cook it and do i have to de-bone it all?

starrysmoothhound Guest
    napier, are the crayfish natives?, or american?.

napier Guest
    amercian....to big for natives
    fresh water lobsters...great with garlic butter....few herbs..and cress...new potatoes...i know a place on the kennet that has dozens drop the traps thirty mins in the water quick trip into b&q for the coals back and the cage is full...this is in a residential area lots of shopping trolleys push bikes etc etc but the water must still be clean hence the abundance....food for crayfish? must be the kababs and stuff...lol

napier Guest
    Originally posted by zooankski
    is it important to cook the rabbit before giving it to the dog?-hows the best way to cook it and do i have to de-bone it all?
    dehead it gut it give raw you can skin it to ....all that should be left if mutts hungry is a deposit next day...healthy food

Napier

what a blooming good use of resources.

Feeding the fishes is a wonderful idea but not too sure about leaving dead coney carcasses in a water supply in case it is used for drinking or extrracted for a similar reason downstream.

Bur charco crayfish in garlic butter on a summers eve.......

Bottle of ice cold chardonay or sauve.

You aint looking for a new friend by any chance ???????

I will be your friend......

Your very best friend.

Steyr
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I think the Victorians used to fish for gudgeon as jolly picnic fare, eating them pan fried on toast.

I shoot foxes which I take up the tip and bung them in an inappropriate skip, anything else I shoot goes to bait the foxes

AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggghhhh h..

Philistine !

Mick
    Another Old Git.