Thread: accupells

sad lad Guest

accupells

anyody tell mewhat grain .22 accupells are?

Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

sad lad Guest

accupells

cheers guys!!

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    14.3 it is.

Not only do Crosman say so, but I've weighed (individually !! must be mad ) best part of 1000 of the little blighters. Stats are:

Extreme spread - 14.0 to 14.7 grain
    Proportion within +/- 0.1 grain of average - 84.3% (which is pretty good)
    Average = 14.3 grain
    Discard rate (skirt damage/malformed) - less than 1%

I usually chuck away those weighing 14.0 and 14.7 grain and batch the rest into 14.1-14.3 and 14.4-14.6, stored in film canisters in 100s (so's I can keep check on how many go through my Rapid between refills).

Have fun.

Biggles

LagomorphHunter Guest
    Biggles,

You don't take down the numbers of trains and carriages too do you? Isn't life too short to weigh each pellet? Guess you must be a FT person?

Seriously though, how much of a difference does it make at, say, 30 yards?

LHunter

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Originally posted by LagomorphHunter
    Biggles,

1. You don't take down the numbers of trains and carriages too do you?
    2. Isn't life too short to weigh each pellet?
    3. Guess you must be a FT person?

LHunter
    1. NO - don't carry notebook neither wear furry rimmed hooded garment
    2. Given quality (?? ??) of current terrestrial TV channels, there's plenty of 'spare' time.
    3. Yes and No. FT/HFT for fun and good practice for hunting. I do find it gives me more confidence in each shot - whether against a metal plate or live rabbit.

One of these days I will get around to testing shot on shot results from pellets from extreme end of weight range within a tin. After all, Murphy's law says that sooner or later you're bound to pick, at random, an Accupel 14.0 followed immediately by a 14.7.

And (as I said earlier) Accupels are pretty good. Worst I ever checked was a tin (rogue?) of RWS Super H Point with weight range of 13.8 to 15.0 grain !! and only 40% of the tin were within 0.1 grain of the average. My Rapid certainly hated them and have only ever bought the one tin.

Biggles

DJP Guest
    Originally posted by biggles
    ... Worst I ever checked was a tin (rogue?) of RWS Super H Point with weight range of 13.8 to 15.0 grain !! and only 40% of the tin were within 0.1 grain of the average. My Rapid certainly hated them and have only ever bought the one tin.

Biggles
    You're not alone there - I had very similar results with a tin of 22 H&N FTT, they varied between 14.0 and 15.0grn and only about half were anywhere near the published weight. What was odd was that they still appeared to group well...

All pellets from the lightest .177 to the heaviest .25 drop at the same rate... It's called gravity.

However the energy imparted on the pellet by the gun does mean heavier pellets travel slower for the same energy.

But that's not the only factor in the final muzzle velocity, pellet fit consistancy within the barrel contributes too. As well as rifle consistancy.

Aerodynamics of the pellet then come into play once the pellet has left the barrel futher decaying the velocity in flight.

The only reason a pellet drops more at the target is because it's time of flight is longer as it's travelling slower. So has more time to drop.

So it's not just so simple as weight variations.

Tony

Snapshot. Guest
    Originally posted by biggles
    Worst I ever checked was a tin (rogue?) of RWS Super H Point with weight range of 13.8 to 15.0 grain !! and only 40% of the tin were within 0.1 grain of the average. My Rapid certainly hated them and have only ever bought the one tin.
    Worst here was a batch of .20 FTTs which varied from 11.0 to 12.5 grains with an average of 12.0 instead of 11.42. There's a thread about it somewhere here. The replacement batch H&N sent me are very good, only varying from 11.3 to 11.7 with an average of 11.55. And they sent me 2500 of them.

Jonathan