27 33.75%
  • Stick to using Yards

41 51.25%
  • I can't hit anything anyway so doesn't matter Yards or Metres

12 15.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metres or Yards

Metres or Yards

Isn't it time shooting moved into the 21st centuary and started using metres instead of yards ?

I'm in my late 40's and was educated in Metric, shooting being about the only thing I still use yards for. I shoot in metric, think in metric and then convert to yards when talking to other shooters.

With the advent of mil dot scopes the ranges are way easier to work out in Metric...

All International competition, Olympics etc are in Metric...

Youngsters coming into the sport are totally baffled by yards, my lad certainly was. He had only ever heard of them as some archaic measuring method before taking up shooting.

Your opinions please Gentlemen...

Tony

Snapshot. Guest
    To be consistent I suppose we should also use grams, metres per second and joules instead of grains, fps and ftlbs. I'm only a few years older than you, Tony, and was taught imperial units but I do try to think in metric these days.

Jonathan

At least if we change to the metric system of measurement we could have some new debates ..... which is best 4.5mm or 5.5mm, or is 5.08mm better than both

Will the Field Targets have to move out to 60 yards to accomadate
    55 meters. Or down to 50 meters to accomadate 55 yards?

Dam, I'd just zeroed my scope in yards

Ray

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi,

Yes, it would be nice if yards were converted to meters, plus also the rest like inch to metric.

But are you UKs and american fellows ready for this ?
    It sure will be nice if this could happen !!!

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

Tony

I 'm about the same age as you, and was educated in Imperial, but then I went to an archaic secondary school up North, not a trendy progressive one down South

I don't see the problem in keeping both. If you and I and countless others can cope with using each system as and when appropriate, why can't the youger generation? It's not that difficult, surely.

As far as yards being an archaic method of measurement vis-a-vis youngsters, yards make miles, and thankfully we still use those on an everyday basis.

At the risk of drifting off-topic, do football pitches 'overseas' have the 'eighteen-yard box' or the 'six-yard area' converted to metres? I don't think they do, and they don't need to.

Why do we need to change? Would it really simplify things to that great an extent? I don't sit there with a furrowed brow before loading the first pellet, I just enjoy myself

Pete

PS We could all start using inchimetres
    Last edited by 12" phut; 28-05-2004 at 08:53 AM.

Golf in UK is still measured in yards
    Steve
    Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

Bring back cubits, chains & poles!

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons

It doesn't matter what the numbers are, so long as you know that your pellet will hit the mark at any given distance.

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

nealie Guest
    at the end of the day.........i dont think it matters. everything in airgunning is in yards so why change? i think it's just taken as read that distances are in yards, scope settings in MOA 1/4 and 1/8th inches, etc

Neal

I remember my old man saying the:

The ony thing maters am a good fowa is keeping the electric gooin.
    "I'm an enormously talented man, and there's no use pretending that I'm not.."

metric

I grew up in the 60’s and was taught imperial, but do use metric as well.

I would hate to see the UK go completely metric.

I know what distance 25, 50 and a 100 yards is when shooting air rifle, rimfire and 7.62 (not sure about meters).

I enjoy a pint or two in my local but, can’t see myself asking for 568 ml of bitter! I drive the 11 miles to work at an average speed of 40 mph along the A41. I am 5’9 and weight about 11 ˝ stone. I tell visitors that the largest snake in our collection (a King Cobra) is 9’ but can reach 18’. I used Celsius for recording room temps at work but think in Fahrenheit when talking about the weather. I collect / make knives and can visualize a blade length when talking in inches, but not cm.

There are lots of reasons that imperial measurement are still popular…..Imagine describing a glamour models vital statistics as 92-64-90 cm (or whatever)….. it just does not work does it!

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi again,

Just as I thought. You are not ready for this conversion from imperial to metric. But maybe we should try again in 50 to 100 years to see if we have made any form for progress !!!

So long then,

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

nealie Guest
    Thunderbolt....you really do know how to make friends dont you?

Go on...back to your dodgy bacon and tasteless beer with ya!

Nealie

Originally posted by Thunderbolt A10
    Hi again,
    But maybe we should try again in 50 to 100 years to see if we have made any form for progress !!
    Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

Legoland!

That's progress!

Pete

BTW we do our years in multiples of 12

Re: metric

Originally posted by Haje

There are lots of reasons that imperial measurement are still popular…..Imagine describing a glamour models vital statistics as 92-64-90 cm (or whatever)….. it just does not work does it!
    [/B]
    Thats my wife's measuments in inches

cheers
    roy

OUCH