Thread: .22 hold over

spl82 Guest

.22 hold over

i have no access to a chrono so i was hoping i could compare the hold over at different ranges with others to see if the power is approximately right.

I am using H&N field and target trophy 5.53 my zero is at 25yrds and at 30 yards the pellet has dropped about 2-3" and by forty yards it has dropped 6-7".

Is this about right or does it sound as though it is a little under powered.

Thanks

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Hi spl82

If your gun was shooting anywhere close to the typical 600 fps - you'd expect 25 zero to 30 yd target drop of only about 0.5 inch.

Did quick 'play' with Chairgun and, even at only 400 fps, drop should be ~1.6".

Above assumes your scope centreline is around 1.5" above bore centreline.

Something's wrong somewhere.

Are you shooting at paper targets or live quarry? If former, does pellet leave hole or just an impression in the target? If shooting at bunnies, do they catch pellets and throw them back?

Suggest you get yourself/gun to a chrono with haste.

Biggles

Darren Petts Guest
    Assuming medium mounts on a "normal" airgun your gun is doing about 5.5 to 6 ft/lb!. What gun is it?

spl82 Guest
    it was quite windy today so i will try tomorrow when it will hopefully be a bit calmer.

I am only pacing out these distances i.e. 25 yrds=25 paces. With a 25 yrd zero what is a normal hold over @40 yards?

The gun is a new theoben evolution, hopefully the wind was screwing with the pellet but I will try again and check. I really want one of those combro chrono's, like everyone else as I don't really want to shell out too much.

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Originally posted by spl82

I am only pacing out these distances i.e. 25 yrds=25 paces.

With a 25 yrd zero what is a normal hold over @40 yards?

Ah ha!! Pacing, eh? Are you by any chance a little over 9 feet tall and with an inside leg giving a 'measured step' of just over 4 1/2 feet. This could explain the apparent underperformance of your gun.

Slightly more seriously ....

Typicall .22 12ftlbs/600fps gun's pellet drop between 25yd zero and 40 yards should be somewhere just over 2.5".

Biggles