Thread: Night Vision in The Republic of Ireland

Night Vision in The Republic of Ireland

Hi all,

I've had an enquiry asking if it is possible for me to ship a night vision scope and laser IR to the Republic of Ireland. As the customer had asked this as a rather closed question I could only assume that there was perhaps some import restrictions or legal issue. From what I can gather so far it is illegal to use a night vision scope as a weapon sight, but legal to use a night vision scope for observation, leisure, general interest, etc.

I have spoken to several government depts. including the enterprise agency and department of trade and employment but they all keep referring me to each other...lol...I love beurocracy.

Hopefully we have some shooters in the Republic of Ireland that should be able to put me straight on this one.

Cheers

Clive

Clive, contact:

The Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform,
    72-76 St. Stephens Green
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

Tel: +353 1 6028202

It's the Firearms Department you're looking for. They should be able to answer your queries.

Jonathan.

d gray Guest

night vision in n.i

hi mate hope i can be of some help it is at the moment baned for any form of night vision weapon sight to be imported into n.i, as you said in the previous message it is how ever legal to use "a night time viewing aid" for education or outdoor persuits this is excluding any form of shooting related past times. this is due to the chances of the sight falling into the wrong hands and being used as an instrumint of war/terrosim hope this has helped.

Its the Republic of Ireland, Southern Ireland or Eire whichever is the proper term these days.

Cheers

Clive