Thread: Truglo 2x30

Truglo 2x30

Traffic Light Sight!
    Truglo TG8030MB2 2x30
    http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e.../th_Truglo.jpg
    http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e..._reticules.jpg
    Truglo are perhaps better known in the UK for their range of fibre optic front sight beads for shotguns, but they also do some red-dot optical sights which may be of interest to those of us looking for something a bit different. One of those, the RedDot Xtreme 2x30 is sold here in the UK.

The 2x30 multi reticule sight has a choice of 4 different electronic reticule designs with a choice of red or green illumination. For a red dot type sight it’s unusual in that it has a 2x magnification, so what we have here is something like a compact low mag rifle scope, which probably wouldn’t look out of place on an AR15. It’s rated to 1000g, so should cope with the recoil of most rifles and shotguns with no problems. It has an integral weaver mount fitted, dovetail adapters are available if your rifle doesn’t have a weaver base, but more about this later. It also comes supplied with a 3v-CR2032 battery and a set of see-through flip-up covers, so there’s nothing extra you need to buy to get going. It’s also claimed to be waterproof and fog proof; luckily I didn’t have a chance to test these claims.

Mount up

The first thing to notice about the unit is that it appears to be back to front. The objective lens is 42mm and with the lens cap fitted I found the clearance a bit tight on a Ruger 10/22, as I chose to mount it as far back as possible to allow comfortable operation of the Ruger’s bolt handle, the mount is tightened from the right with thumbscrew type fasteners. The mount’s fixed to the scope so there’s no way to reverse the mount, which is a shame as it limits your options. I did try to fit it to a 17HMR Cz452 with a pair of Weaver adapters, but there was no way it was going to fit on low-level mounts. If you wish to use it on a bolt action you’ll need a set of high rails such as those sold by Eric Brooks in America. On a side-ejecting lever action you should have no problems. Eye relief isn’t an issue as with conventional scopes, though the sight picture is a little crowded, you’re more aware of the body of the scope. The tube itself is 38mm in diameter, so it’s not really clear where Truglo get the 30 from in the 2x30 description.

Lighting up
    The reticule illumination is controlled by the rheostat mounted on top, this also holds the battery. Turn it one way for red, and the other for green, with 5 levels of brightness for each colour. Off is marked with a protrusion on the battery housing which allows you to check it’s turned off without peering through the sight or looking at it, handy in low light or when you don’t want to spook wary quarry, though strangely it’s only on one side and depending on which colour you’re using it can be on either side in the off position. On the left of the unit is a dial which allows you to choose the reticule. Zeroing is done in the conventional manner with windage and elevation dials beneath caps secured with rubber lanyards, so you don’t loose them. I found the adjusters were stiff to operate and had to use a screwdriver as no coins I had fitted the dials, and concluded they must have been designed for American currency. Adjustments were ½” at 100 yards.

For those of us who are used to high mag scopes with either 30/30 or mildot reticules, this sight comes as a bit of a pleasant surprise. With a magnification of only 2x the sight picture is steady and I found the 3 MOA Centre Dot design to be ideal for rabbits or targets. The crosshair reticule is a fine cross and won’t obscure your target though the same can’t be said for the 10 MOA dot, which is probably of most use for close range stuff or turning targets. The 15 MOA peep is a fine crosshair with a circle in the middle, so you should be able to find an element which works for you. There didn’t appear to be any change in the point of impact when changing between the elements. I was very surprised at the level of accuracy I was able to achieve using the circle and dot, I’d expected the group sizes to grow but was still able to shoot some very tight groups at 50 yards on the range with my 10/22 and Winchester subsonics from a rest. It’s certainly up to allowing head shots on rabbits at that sort of range. It would be interesting to see this technology applied to a conventional zoom scope, but as it stands it has the fast target acquisition abilities of a red dot plus enough magnification to identify small targets at 75-100 yards. Optical quality is good for the price and the elements didn’t flare even at the highest settings. Build quality also seems good, though you’ve probably guessed by now it’s made in China, but what isn’t these days?
    Last edited by Oddbob08; 11-08-2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Pictures added