Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the 'official' view ?

What is the 'official' view ?

Scenario:

The competition has begun and everybody is shooting away quite happily. The rain, sleet, snow (whatever) starts chucking it down. Some hardy souls want to carry on shooting but just as many want to shelter for a while and let it pass.

Surely you can't have some folk shooting and others sheltering, that would throw all the lanes out and cause confusion. Do the marshalls just decide as they see fit (continue or stop) and tough titty if you don't like it? Even to the point of "if you don't like it then goodbye and close the door on the way out"

It's a hypothetical question really, since the weather in these parts is always scorchio.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

I've been on several Comps where the weather has turned a bit foul & everyone has just continued shooting! Of course it a a question of degree but I'd assume the Competitors should continue if they can & the Marshalls will make a judgement call if it really is THAT bad. Much as any other sport really.
    TX200/Nikko Stirling MKII 10-50
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC

Rules by comittee!!

Its up the marshalls.

You keep going.

That's why it's not an indoor sport.

At a shoot at Bisley around Easter the buggers were throwing snow balls at me (it was snowing quite hard too).

Still shot on

I cannot remember any UKAHFT shoot that has been stopped by the organisers once it has started, due to weather.

We (Marshals) have in the past been briefed to stop the shoot if thunder gets too close on safety grounds, and can of course stop a shoot at any time if the safety of competitors is considered at risk.

Woodlands was cancelled before the start due to weather though as by all accounts the ground was simply unshootable.

HTH.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

I suppose then it really boils to common sense and the Marshalls decision being final.

Part of the reason for asking was:

Rain (like wind) can influence the trajectory of a pellet. The heavier the rain the greater the effect. The wind is up and down like the Assyrian Empire so there is no point in a competitor waiting 5,10,20 etc minutes for it to drop. Besides that would hold up all the other competitors. If there is a short torrential rain storm however it could be a definite advantage (for some folk) to put the shoot on hold until it passes.

Personally, I think you start, you shoot, you finish - whatever the weather; rain, sleet, snow, hurricanes, tornados.

I would draw the line at lightning, and fire and brimstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    I suppose then it really boils to common sense and the Marshalls decision being final.

Part of the reason for asking was:

Rain (like wind) can influence the trajectory of a pellet. The heavier the rain the greater the effect. The wind is up and down like the Assyrian Empire so there is no point in a competitor waiting 5,10,20 etc minutes for it to drop. Besides that would hold up all the other competitors.
    Part of the reason why FT has a 2min per 2 target rule. As it's all about windage, it means you cannot hang on for a lull. Being afraid of the elements means your not exploring the full envelope of your shooting.

I thought the two minutes started from when you first looked through your scope? If it's raining heavily it might take me 20mins to walk between the lanes.

I take your point. I'm only playing Devils Advocate (or is that advocaat )

Looking at the rules for the FT World Championships the time starts from when the shooter addresses the lane, so by the time you look down your scope you might well be well into the time allowed.
    TX200/Nikko Stirling MKII 10-50
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC

I am a prepared to stand corrected.

I took it from bfta Main shooting rules for 2006 (Amended for 2007, Vers.02) but maybe it's out of date or maybe I misunderstood what it said (It wouldn't be the first time and it certainly won't be the last).

So can I still take 20minutes to walk between lanes to let the rain stop?

Bolton 2006 if you didn't get a stoppage there you ain't getting one
    Mind you, we did stop for a considerable time if you add up stoppages, but thats a different thread.
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Bolton 2006 if you didn't get a stoppage there you ain't getting one
    Mind you, we did stop for a considerable time if you add up stoppages, but thats a different thread.
    I take it rained?

Just thinking BOLTON 2006 sounds a bit like a rock festival. And the headline band is?

I take it rained?

Bit of a understatement but yeah!
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

I take it rained?

Yea... the solid kind !

Blizzarding snow plus hailstones !!!