Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suitable back stop for the garage

Suitable back stop for the garage

I am setting up a chrono for use in the garage any advice on what to do to make a suitable pellet catcher?

Also what to do with regards lighting the garage, as don't chrono's alter under differnt lighting conditions?

Matt

nealie Guest
    when shooting in my garage....i use taped up yellow pages and stacks of A4 paper!

neal

clubshot Guest

Arrow

Matt,
    Old telephone books are good but do breakdown and become dusty.
    Which might cover or effect sensors

Plates & bricks can rebound.

I find it best to use a Sand Bag , is best to put in a old sack if possible or several old pillow cases.

Can be filtered and old pellets recovered.

Light effect is normally the back sensors , normally cover with a sheet of paper, if giving error readings.

Blue paper seems to effect readings

BOB/R

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    Piece of suitable plywood, mdf or alike, then attach a few layers of old carpet. works a treat.

There is one here -

www.ora8i.co.uk

Also had good success with a big bag of potting compost!

Regards Ora

FT Shooter Guest
    Originally posted by clubshot

Can be filtered and old pellets recovered.

BOB/R
    Do they still shoot the same second time around as I would have thought they'd be a poor fit in the breech?

Same thing I use in the garden - decent-sized cardboard box with a couple of weeks' worth of newspapers and magazines stuffed in it. Staple target to front. When theres not enough left to staple to, tape a piece of cardboard over the ragged hole. When you've done that to death, turn it round and shoot the other side. Works perfectly, costs nothing, lasts for months.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Originally posted by FT Shooter
    Do they still shoot the same second time around as I would have thought they'd be a poor fit in the breech?
    I think Clubshot was referring to collecting the old pellets to melt down and re-use for other purposes, and to avoid putting a massive quantity of lead into the environment when you ditch the sand.

NEVER re-use old pellets, ESPECIALLY if they're covered in sand!

Snapshot. Guest
    If it's a fixed setup, why not use a conventional pellet trap? I'm building a portable chrono bench out of a 30mm shelf. This has a very solid backplate supporting the pellet trap, a plinth in the middle for my Skan chrono and a rod rest to position the barrel of the gun under test. I'll post photos when it's finished.

Jonathan

Couple of months ago I came past a pile of cut down trees and a bloke was cutting ' em into 15" thick slices, gave him a drink and took five pieces home. Each piece being about 30" across, the wood slightly damp: perfect pelletstop. This wood just absorbs the pellet, no richocets absolutely save.

Using it as a pelletrap in the backyard, after about 1000 rounds, still using the first of five and when it gets too bad, just turn it around.

Len

editing syntax errors
    Theory Men: They all know how it should work but it doesn't
    Practice Men: Everything works but nobody knows how

Lee G Guest
    Bung a landrover in there, plenty of scrap metal to shoot.

I use a conventional Bisley pellet trap with squares of carpet cut to size and forced into the gap between the target and the backplate so that they are compressed. It's had about 5000 shots into it and is still o.k., when the carpet gets too ragged it will be very easy too replace. An added bonus of this trap is that it is extremely quiet.

Bob

mr_magoo Guest

pellett stop

just hypnotise 475 suicidle rabbits from hertfordshire
    hey presto almost a tins worth

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi,

Although more expensive - the ballistic putty is a very good pellet catcher. 5 pounds of this material in a block can stop a Beeman Kodiak .25 pellet with 56 fpe behind it !
    You can get this putty from Straight Shooters in US if you like. Just an idea !!!

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

how about abu hamza
    SCR Custom - rifles by Dave Brayford

"there's no point in asking... you'll get no reply" - Johnny Rotten