Thread: Field Target Scope

Field Target Scope

Hello,

I need a help with choosing a scope suitable for FT. Let's assume money is no object. What is the best out there? Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Przemek.

p70shooter Guest
    I dont know about unlimited funds but the best for less is the Nikko 10-50x60. For Ģ400 you cant go wrong I think mine is ace

There are two ways of looking at this situation which i wil have to go through in about two weeks myself. If you are used to quality optics steer clear of the Jap and Asian imports, if not choose a 50 mag Niko or Deben because you will be none the wiser.
    If you are used to quality optics you would have to choose from numerous models from PR Leupold, Burris and US Optics. Some people are importing Bushnel Elite 32mag 4200 series scopes from the US.

Already regret selling my PR Mark 4 Leup.

Paul Hudson Guest
    It's another of these "best" questions to which there's no definitive answer...

Not all scopes suit all shooters. What's "best" for one might be totally useless in the eyes of another.

Another thing is that not all scopes suit all rifles. There are considerations like balance of the outfit, length of the scope tube, size of the objective dictating height of the mounts, position of the saddle and whether mounts will clear both it and the breech. The list grows longer...

Paul.

I will try to precise what I had in mind saying the best FT scope. First of all the scope must be variable (I have certain reservations regarding using of 35x fixed power optics in FT because of their limited FOV) with excellent optics quality (I am used to Leupolds, S&Bs and Zeiss).

Sidewheel is a must have as is fine reticle (preferably mil dot or something similar). It does not matter whether the tube is 1" or 30mm. Saddle position is not important - it is possible to cure this matter with proprer mounting system.

The scope will be mounted on Anschutz 2020HP.
    Last edited by PPP; 04-06-2004 at 09:24 PM.

The field of view on a 35 mag Mark 4 is not anything to be sniped at.
    Theres only a couple of solutions for you considering what scopes you have had.
    Leupold Comp Series in either 35, 40 or 45 fixed mags.
    Leupold 20-50x50 PR with close focus mod.
    Leupold Mark 4 M1-16x PR boosted to 35.
    Burris 8-32 Signature
    US Optics various.

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi,

As said before - not all scopes are good on airguns. Now I am thinking of "real" rifle scopes and not those scopes only suited for airguns.
    Be careful if you choose a rifle scope model - it must be able to focus down to the range your are shooting plus you also need to consider the parallax error problem. So they are not for every airgunners but some models can be used with good results on airguns.

To take an example, US Optics makes excellent bright scopes. I just heard that the mechanic side of these scopes can not always withstand normal use but that is a different road. These scopes are meant as rifle scopes and may not be able to focus down to airgun range so you can in the end stand with a scope you canīt use.
    US Optics do make some modifications to their scopes but I donīt know exactly what.

Hope this could help a bit.

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

What do you guys think about Walther 10-40x56 mil dot scope? Its exterior is similar to japanese Tasco Custom Shop scope but magnification range varies a bit (as well as windage/elevation increments - 1/8MOA per click). What about the lenses (manufacturer?) and mechanics? Is this scope comparable to Leupolds somehow?

Only seen one of those Walther scopes- shocking, add to that the garbage that comes with it.
    Comparable to a Leup! even the best one offs of Asian build cant manage that in optical quality.

Shaggy Guest
    you have to go for one of the Leupold Competition Series don't think much else can beat iton an Air rifle.

ATB

Darren