Thread: Newbie looking for guidence

Newbie looking for guidence

Hi,

Not shot anything for many many years, but looking to start again.

Only want to do Target shooting and maybe competition if I end up being decent enough and need to find a suitable airgun.

Plan is to practice in garden and also join club, so my proposed disciple is 10M pistol on the basis that I can safely do that in the garden - as the pistol is significantly lowered powered of course compared to rifle - and at the shorter distance, pistol shooting will be more challenging then rifle (just my theory - hope I am not causing a bit of a controvesy by saying that )

Had a look at various pistols in a gun shop and from what I held there, I am very inclined towards the Rohm Twinmaster as it seemed a quality piece of engineering. Price wise, a new Rohm Twinmaster Action at around £180 would be right at the top end of my budget for getting into this sport and would be hoping to pay less to be honest. If all goes well, I could then upgrade as need be.

One way the Rohm appeals is also how it is not trying to look like a 'real' weapon, if you understand what I mean. I also like the trigger mechanism - again seems much more suitable for target shooting then the 'black' guns.

I have seen a S/H Rohm Twinmaster Action for around £125 -would that be a worthwhile purchase over a brand new for £180?

Thanks for reading so far Am I on the right track here generally? Any suggestions welcome and happily recieved.

Cheers,

Hoovie.

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    I think you're on the right track... the replicas are really plinking fun guns, twinmaster is getting into the proper kit level and should see you a long way. Most people who would buy this sort of thing in the first place are serious target shooters and so tend to look after their kit well (else the score drops!!) so 2nd hand is often a good thing.
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Quote Originally Posted by defblade View Post
    I think you're on the right track... the replicas are really plinking fun guns, twinmaster is getting into the proper kit level and should see you a long way. Most people who would buy this sort of thing in the first place are serious target shooters and so tend to look after their kit well (else the score drops!!) so 2nd hand is often a good thing.
    Thanks for the reply, defblade.

That is encouraging. I am starting to veer towards New, as I have seen the Twinmasters for about £170 so the used one (which is currently faulty but would be repaired, of course) at £125 is not enough of a saving, so unless I can knock them down to about £100 .....

such a pain that all transactions have to be face to face now

Quote Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
    Hi,

Plan is to practice in garden and also join club, so my proposed disciple is 10M pistol on the basis that I can safely do that in the garden - as the pistol is significantly lowered powered of course compared to rifle - and at the shorter distance, pistol shooting will be more challenging then rifle (just my theory - hope I am not causing a bit of a controvesy by saying that )

One way the Rohm appeals is also how it is not trying to look like a 'real' weapon, if you understand what I mean. I also like the trigger mechanism - again seems much more suitable for target shooting then the 'black' guns.

Cheers,

Hoovie.
    Hi, Now that will cause some controvesy!!!!

I've played with a couple of Rohm's in the last couple of weeks. They are serious target pistols
    Great accuracy and very light. I want one for comps

But I must admit, I prefere my "Real looking" guns for fun.
    Ive had 47 out of 50 using my Co2's with 5 shots (okay it was a fluke) but it shows just how accurate these things can be!

I returned to shooting this year. Thinking I'll be happy with a pistol.
    Now the bug's well and truly set in.
    I now have 2 rifles, and earlier this evening just got my trigger finger on a 6th Pistol.
    Now Im not a collector (yet) but I do like to shoot them all

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Join a club now & you'll get to try a variety of pistols. You may even be able to get something from somebody moving up a rung kit-wise,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    I returned to shooting this year. Thinking I'll be happy with a pistol.
    Now the bug's well and truly set in.
    I now have 2 rifles, and earlier this evening just got my trigger finger on a 6th Pistol.
    Now Im not a collector (yet) but I do like to shoot them all

Tony
    6 pistols, 2 rifles ... and not a collector!

Just looked at your website, Tony - I have a Diana SP50 as well Not sure how long I have had it But I think I need something a little better.

I am pretty sure I will end up with a rifle as well as a Pistol or two.

Like Duned says: join a club. You will get a chance to shoot lots of pistols and it is the best place to find a second-hand pistol for sale. The Rohm is good but in that price range you could also consider a FAS 604, Gamo Compact, Original 6M or even an FWB 65 if you are lucky. But try them all out on a range if possible before you buy one.

OK - done lots of reading and research here, on web and in mags and re-evaluated what I am after

Looking to do Field Target shooting with a club. Switched to getting a rifle (I may well get a pistol as well, but a far more basic one then originally planned).

Don't really like the idea of a break-barrel as I cannot get the idea out my head - rightly or wrongly- that using the barrel to reset the spring will not impact the consistancy of the gun, as that action between each shot must have the potential for some deviation
    I also don't want to 'bypass' the learning curve of experiencing and dealing with the recoil, so am discounting at this stage the PCP type (also due to cost!) and CO2 rifles.

So I am now veering very strongly towards the under-lever style now and have - after my research - got three candidates:

Weihrauch HW97k
    Weihrauch HW77
    Air Arms TX200

All three seem to have excellent reviews with nothing really negative about them I can see.
    The TX200 and HW97K do not have open sights, so are scope-only. While I would expect to be using a scope, I *think* it is useful to be able to learn how to use open sights as well as part of the learning process of how to shoot well, so I am sort of leaning towards the HW77 for that reason - but for that reason alone. Is is a relevant thing to want to be able to use open sights as well as a scope? and if so, is that enough justification to choose one rifle over another for that reason?

My local shop sell all three rifles bare and in combo deals with a gun slip and scopes+mount - the scopes they bundle in are the AGS Sapphire Scope and you chose either 4x32 or 4x40 and mildot or Duplex - Are these decent scopes and which is the best magnification for FT use?

Price wise, all three are very similar - Prices for their combo deals are:

Air Arms TX200 MK3 - £371 (£299 Bare)
    Weihrauch HW 77 - £379 (£298 Bare)
    Weihrauch HW 97K - £387 (£304 bare)

Also, the HW77 is available as a standard barrel or a Carbine for the same price - Any reason to go for one over another? From what I have read it makes little difference and mostly down to looks?

So .... any recommendations on which of three to go for, or another one entirely?

Cheers for reading this far and TIA for advice and comments

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Buy a Baikal IZH-61 (about £80-90) and have all the open-sighted springer practise you can handle

As for the ones you've listed.... personnally (sp?), I find that underlevers carry too much weight forward.... I'd go to a gun shop and try a few, buy one that feels good to you. In that price range, you should find everything is a decent shot. Or again, join a club, you'll probably get to try all these and more!
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

I'm new to the sport as well and after spending hours of research on the web and in mags came up with the same three rifles (HW77, HW97k and the TX200). The reasons for choosing these was the same as you stated.

I would highly recommend joining a club before buying anything. This way you are likely to be able to try a good range of club rifles and pistols (as well as being shown how to use them properly). This is what I've done and after trying various springers I had a go with someone elses PCP (an Air Arms S200) and it changed my mind completely. I now intend buying a PCP (looking at the AA S400 at the mo) with the view to using the springers at the club when I fancy a bit of a challange

It would be interesting to know what you went for in the end.