Thread: Scope eye relief distance

Skimmer Guest

Scope eye relief distance

HI

I am having some difficulty in quick acquisition, and am starting to think it might be the eye relief distance between me and the scope. The scope is a Nighteye 4-9x50, and the instruction leaflet says eye relief distance is supposed to be 3 and a quarter inches. This seems a hell of a distance, and would mean shifting the scope way forward, or holding the gun a lot further away! Surely this manufacturers distance figure is an "average" - it must vary depending on the users eyesight surely?

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi,

The eye relief problem is rather simpel. You just need to adjust the scope so you get a perfect round image through the scope then you mount your gun at your shoulder.
    The best fit is then you mount your gun at shoulder with your eyes closed and then you open your eyes again you will have a perfect round image through the scope with no parallax error. Everything should feels perfect without any form for adjustment of your cheeck on the rest.

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

Skimmer Guest

Eye relief

Thanks Thunderbolt, actually that seems to work quite well, so my problem seems to be getting that position exactly right when my eyes are open! Maybe I am being "to careful" and postioning wrong. As they always say - practice!

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi,

Just take your time for it. You are not in a hurry !!!

Setting up a scope perfectly takes time but afterwards it is a joy. Now while we are talking I will just say a good stock, maybe an adjustable stock, on your airgun certainly helps to get the correct eye relief plus it will make you feel "one" with the rifle. Many people donīt realize this or even consider it !!!

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10