Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a .177 Target pistol, newbie help!

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Though I've never used one, the Baikal 46M is by all accounts excellent, practically "world class", but it is heavy and front heavy at that.

The Compact can be worked on. Check out Nige from Spain's site:

http://www.postcardfromspain.com/airgunclub.htm

You may decide to go "up market" from a Compact after a few months, but the chances are you will not need to for many a year!
    Well ive decided to hold out for a 46m, im in no rush, and the more i look at the pistol the more i want it, plus i thought the gamo compact was metal, found out alot of its structure is plastic, not to keen on that and is also a very light gun, i like to have something substatial in my hands.

Fair comment. The overlever of the Gamo is plastic, but it is well chosen and well up to the job.

The Baikal will last you a lifetime, but i would warn you again, it is heavy, at about 3lb. If you are happy with 3lb hanging on the end of your arm, I'm sure you won't regret your choice.

If you got a s/h Gamo whilst waiting for a baikal to turn up, the chances are you wouldn't lose a penny and you'd be up and running straight away.

Good luck whichever way you go.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Fair comment. The overlever of the Gamo is plastic, but it is well chosen and well up to the job.

The Baikal will last you a lifetime, but i would warn you again, it is heavy, at about 3lb. If you are happy with 3lb hanging on the end of your arm, I'm sure you won't regret your choice.

If you got a s/h Gamo whilst waiting for a baikal to turn up, the chances are you wouldn't lose a penny and you'd be up and running straight away.

Good luck whichever way you go.
    Thanks derek, dont think 3lb will be problem im fairly muscular my bicep is about 15 inches circumference, and what you said about baikal lasting a lifetime i would like a kinda hairloom air gun to hand down to my kids (when my gf and i get the time to start a family that is haha)

Quote Originally Posted by Cynabal View Post
    Thanks derek, dont think 3lb will be problem im fairly muscular my bicep is about 15 inches circumference, and what you said about baikal lasting a lifetime i would like a kinda hairloom air gun to hand down to my kids (when my gf and i get the time to start a family that is haha)
    a second hand hw75 will do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by davep90 View Post
    a second hand hw75 will do the trick
    Dave i don't see how a HW75 will help him start a family
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

The Baikal will last you a lifetime, but i would warn you again, it is heavy, at about 3lb.
    Thanks derek, dont think 3lb will be problem I'm fairly muscular my bicep is about 15 inches circumference
    I use an Izh-46 (the lower-power, short cylinder, non "M" version) and on a good day, when everything goes just right, I can do pretty well with it (up to about 45/46/47 out of 50), and I'm most definitely NOT "fairly muscular".

I don't know how much a difference it makes to the balance, but all the extra metal on the "46M" is right at the front of the gun.

Iain

I based my weight/balance comment on the Daisy 717 that I started with. Similar dimensions to the Baikal, an excellent gun and very accurate, but just too much for my little wrists, if I couldn't release the shot in very few seconds.

As you demonstrate Ian, there is nothing at all wrong with the Baikal, if the weight can be handled and Cynabal sounds man enough for the job
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I've just had my first session at my local 10m club with a gamo compact and the coach there seems to think I'm at the 80/100 level and thats my first session with the gun....so I think the gun will certainly see me OK for a bit yet - there's a lot to learn and the gun itself is'nt my limiting factor and probably won't be for some time