Thread: Ruger old army

Ruger old army

Have found a place that still has a couple of New, Ruger old army black powder revolvers for sale although they are the standard sight version and not the target sight ones. One of them i notice hass a 51/2" barrel which has really got me thinking!!!! Anyone tried one of these shorter ones for size. Feels really good in the hand with an acceptable sight picture but have never used one with a short barrel.

Like all ROA, brilliant! I had a 7.5", adjustable sights. A mate has a 5.5" fixed. I would have loved one, but for the money they want. nah!

I've got a stainless 5.5" ROA. It seems to shoot about 5" low, but it groups well. I like it a lot and don't really care if I hit anything.

Actually, it's probably me shooting low. haha

A fellow club member shoots a ROA 5.5" his shot really low.

He did some research, and now shoots it using 32 grain of pyrodex and it shoots to POA.

I use 24 grain of pyrodex in my 7.5" ROA.

Seems strange, but I suppose thats the art of black powder.

Pyrodex??? Isn't that the same stuff used in CF rounds? I'm not adverse to trying new things, but don't want to blow things up, specifically my hand.

Hi Paul

Pyro & Triple 7 are both black powder subs - that you don't need a BP ticket or RCA for.

They load by volume not weight (well the 777 does anyway) - so you need to be careful with it if swapping from real BP to substitute

On my Remmy 44 - I use either 25gns of BP - or 20gns Triple 7 (thats what the equivalent volume of Triple 7 gives when you weigh it)

Cheers

Roy

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by pmercer View Post
    Pyrodex??? Isn't that the same stuff used in CF rounds? I'm not adverse to trying new things, but don't want to blow things up, specifically my hand.
    You're thinking of nitro (smokeless): but you're right about trying to substitute smokeless for black powder! Don't even think about it!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Ah, something learned. Thanks for that lads. I'll give it a go sometimes. I assume it means a cleaner shooting session as well!