Thread: Feinwerkbau 300s long range

Feinwerkbau 300s long range

Last Sunday at the range in windy rainy conditions pushed a knockdown target out progressively from 30 yds to 65 yds and was getting regular knockdowns at that 65 yd range. Bench rested in the main but did get some standing shots!

Bearing in mind this is a 6.0 ft lbs indoor match rifle. Mine is 30 yrs old. I took off the peephole sight and mounted a 3 - 9 x 44 Hawke SR on it in a single piece dampa mount and that was then mounted on two arrestor blocks to give it more height so I could load the pellets easier.

Pellets were Airarms .177 (4.51).

Scope setting on 7x mag zeroed at 30 yds. Dots gave me 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65 using the Hawke BRC calculator.

Tomorrow I push out further. Because the FPS is relatively low and the trajectory very pronounced it is possible to track the arc of the pellet visually in the scope.
    Steve
    Floccinaucinihilipilificator.

Hi,
    keep us posted mate.
    I like to hear this stuff is possible as i have hit some distances i would not dare to post with 11.5ft/ibs.
    like the was you drop was bang on with your mil-dots,is your scope in 1st focal plane?
    atb and look forward to reading your next test

Thumbs up

sounds awesome, 6 fpe makes you think about the 12fpe rule !! keep it coming
    If i didnt have a Falcon i would have a Rapid

I have the FWB 300S running boar, made specifically for a scope to be mounted. No front sight at all, just barrel weight. Tickled up a bit to 8.5 fpe. Schmitt & Bender 6x40 on top. I get round PARC FT course quite nicely with it. Benching, I can regularly hit the furthest spinners spinners which I reckon are about 80 yds. Which is nice.

Thanks for the interest guys.

This weekend was not so good weatherwise nor pushing beyond 65 yds. Strong and swirling east to west wind off the North Sea did not help.

However I did manage some 80 yds tin hitting in a calmer period this afternoon.

As the performance up to 50 yds is more predictable and fits the HFT purpose I am content for now with that and will try further ranges on a better day.

I would be interested in knowing how the tickling to 8.5 ft lbs was done Trouser Trumpet?

I had the gun chroned first about a fortnight ago and then used the Hawke calculator and all the necessary inputs to work out what the dots corresponded too and yes on the range the program recommendations matched. The scope was zeroed for 30 yds on 7x mag with parallax adjustment set at 50 yds.
    Steve

Basically, a good internal polish and relube. I try to run it almost dry. The twin springs have been replaced by a single silicon steel spring. Various lengths were tried, along with adding/removing piston weights. The gun still shoots as dead as it did at 6fpe. You are really limited by the small swept volume.

Quote Originally Posted by TROUSER TRUMPET View Post
    Basically, a good internal polish and relube. I try to run it almost dry. The twin springs have been replaced by a single silicon steel spring. Various lengths were tried, along with adding/removing piston weights. The gun still shoots as dead as it did at 6fpe. You are really limited by the small swept volume.
    Thanks for that info.
    Steve

hi guys just to say i was there when steve done these tests out to 65yard and he was infact hitting them no probs it was unbelivable to watch and we did chrono it at the 6ft/lb mark

it was very impressive to say the least

paul
    I appreciate anything you can do
    PAUL
    All that's needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by viper77765 View Post
    hi guys just to say i was there when steve done these tests out to 65yard and he was infact hitting them no probs it was unbelivable to watch and we did chrono it at the 6ft/lb mark

it was very impressive to say the least

paul
    Thanks Paul. And Trouser Trumpet you may have the FWB 300S Running Boar but the lads at the range will tell you that I am the FWB 300S Rambling Bore!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TURIN TURAMBAR View Post
    Thanks Paul. And Trouser Trumpet you may have the FWB 300S Running Boar but the lads at the range will tell you that I am the FWB 300S Rambling Bore!
    that is true
    I appreciate anything you can do
    PAUL
    All that's needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TURIN TURAMBAR View Post
    There's no denying it

Interesting to know 6 ft/lb will topple a knockdown st that range, contrary to popular belief for target weapons. A guy in our club uses one for rabbits with precision out to 30 yd.
    Make every shot count.

Quote Originally Posted by TROUSER TRUMPET View Post
    I have the FWB 300S
    I remember lusting after one of those back in the 80s. Quality kit!
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.