Thread: Powder

Powder

Hi all

I have been trying to find out how much BP weighs, and have so far drawn a blank, so thought I'd ask you lot.

I have just bought a reproduction Colt Walker .44, and learn from various loading sources that it needs a maximum charge of 40grains BP.

I am using Pyrodex P, which should (I'm sure you'll know) be measured out at at the same volume as 40gr BP. I have a powder flask which has an unknown volume, (though I have previously used it with a .36 BP pistol), and enough engineering ability to make my own measure for it.

So what I need to know is, what is the volume of 40 grains of BP, and/ or what is the volume or weight of Pyrodex P which correlates to that?

Any takers?

Steve

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Lost me

Quote Originally Posted by steve883 View Post

I have just bought a reproduction Colt Walker .44, and learn from various loading sources that it needs a maximum charge of 40grains BP.
    I can't help you on the weight/volume question but I think you might find 40gn of BP (or equivalent) a bit too much to handle. I am happy with 23gn so far but am still working a load up using .454 balls and felt patches.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

how big is your measure for 23grain? Are you using BP or Pyrodex?

What I really need to do is buy a BP measure and go from there!!

Steve,

A 40gn spout will cost you about 3 quid in a local gunshop....

One grain of FFG blackpowder is 0.068 cc
    one grain of FFFG blackpowder is 0.0628 cc
    one grain of pyrodex p is 0.0823 cc

40 grains of FFFG blackpowder is 2.512 cc and the same volume of pyrodex p is 30.5 grains.
    Daz

Thanks for that guys.

My local gunshop has no BP stuff at all, and getting them to order stuff takes a while, so I'll just make my own, it'll be quicker!

Thanks again!

Volumetric conversion was dealt with here

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196729
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

I did try

Quote Originally Posted by steve883 View Post
    how big is your measure for 23grain? Are you using BP or Pyrodex?

What I really need to do is buy a BP measure and go from there!!
    Using the spout on the powder flask but got varying results so I invested in a powder measure, weighed the powder and set the measure to it. I also use 35mm film tubs and put pre-measured loads into them before I go to the range. Saves time when there.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

I threw 10 charges with my flask with a 30gr spout and then weighed each charge to see what the difference was. I typically got all to the same weight withing 0.1gr - quite surprising how accurate it can be.

My 30gr by volume spout holds 20.5gr by weight of H777 Fffg