Thread: bleaching stocks

bleaching stocks

hi .

i am sure a read somewhere about bleaching beech stocks to even out the colour and getting rid of the stain marks left deeper in the grain, so you dont have to keep on sanding. if this is correct can anyone tell me what to use and how to do it please..

thanks dave

Liberon

I had quite good results using Liberon wood Bleacher, got rid of a lots of Black rust stain in the wood as well. I used a cotton bud to apply on the small marks, 3 or 4 treatments got rid of the worst marks then a light sanding . Though I am sure more experienced woodworkers will be along shortly to give better advice.
    ATB Graham
    Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Bleaching

Hi,was reading an old airgun world last night they where redoing a gun he left his in a tray of warm water with washing powder for a day or so said the results were great,will see if i can get a scan of it,cheers Mark.

i have done it by soaking in the bath with warm water and daz washing powder (the wife was uninpressed though )
    came out nice and white though

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Yep, as stated, forget bleaching, go for a good old fashioned mug full of traditional washing powder mixed into two buckets of warm to hot water and leave to soak for 48 hrs stirring every now and again. You could use the main family bath as mallyally says (a top bloke), but I bought a small £3.99 paddling pool from ASDA which did just fine (left it out in the garden) and after the event gave the paddling pool a good wipe down and hey presto -- something for the kids which equates to brownie points with the wife and a beautifully clean beech stock to boot. This resulted (for once) with me being in a "WIN WIN" situation . Atb: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I've used ordinary household bleach to good effect.

It's usually required on any end grain that's "sucked" the stain in. Brushed on, left a while then rinsed off. Repeat until your happy

ATB
    Ray.

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

Bleaching stocks

Can I ask. will the washing method get rid of the oil seepage into the stock of a rifle that has been stored on it`s but for years?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by corbett View Post
    Can I ask. will the washing method get rid of oil seepage into the stock of a rifle that has been stored on it`s but for years?
    In theory yes, but probably not as well as the house-hold bleach being brushed on as suggested by Raygun above. Maybe a hybrid of the two may be in order ? (Gareth).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    An excellent chemical for bleaching grey or black stain out of wood is oxalic acid, you must rinse it well before finishing.

thanks for all the help guys lots of great ways . i reckon ill have a go at the soaking with washing powder method.

thanks dave

kavanagh08 Guest
    zzzzzzzzz
    Last edited by kavanagh08; 24-10-2008 at 03:52 PM.