Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: cheapo springer pistol???

Sorry Derek, three or four years ago, I just gave the spring (and the length I wanted the guide to be) to my engineer mate and he made it to fit, no drawings were involved! It's a very simple spring guide, diameter of the guide to fit the spring with a 1.5mm thick flange at the base which corresponds to the internal diameter of the cylinder. If I had the dimensions I would gladly pass them on!

Cheers

OK Rob, not to worry! I was just hoping to avoid stripping the thing down twice, that's all! Thanks anyway.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I'd strip it down and measure it for you but I am run off my feet with work and DIY at the moment, sorry!

Thanks, but I'm not quite so idle - yet!!
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

Bugger...

Derek, you should have let Rob do it....

would have saved me a job..

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Talking Ratgunner

Quote Originally Posted by Moron View Post
    funny how people are saying they dont last,,,they fall apart etc etc

the last one i had i can remember using it for years but being a kid and moving house a few times it got misplaced

remembering how much fun it was i got another for £25 new (so buying a second hand one for £25 is a fiddle)

what pistol can you get that fires bbs,pellets and darts mostly all metal construction and lasts for years???? oh yeah and costs under £30
    Could throw some real money about and get an all metal Gat from SMK,
    fires pellets, darts and high velocity corks (Ahem!) chromium plated in a presentation box, I am told you can hit the range everytime with one of these??

Just made and fitted a spring guide to the Baikal 53. The difference is almost like night and day! Thanks for the idea Rob; don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Just made and fitted a spring guide to the Baikal 53. The difference is almost like night and day! Thanks for the idea Rob; don't know why I didn't think of it before.
    Help us out Derek, can you let us know the dims of the guides youv'e made, a mate will knock 'em up for me. Too busy working/fixing my bike atm, just haven't got the time.
    atb
    Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

dear lord, this thread has gone on a long time,,,,,,, it started as a g10 thread lol
    QB78 IN TUNING PROCESS
    SMK XS12...FOR SALE £45 POSTED

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    Help us out Derek, can you let us know the dims of the guides youv'e made, a mate will knock 'em up for me. Too busy working/fixing my bike atm, just haven't got the time.
    atb
    Russ
    No probs Russ. I don't know how to do drawings on the computer, so it will have to be by description. Get back to me if it's not clear.

Spring guide, 1st incarnation.

Material aluminium.
    Overall length 73mm, including rear flange.
    Rear flange 3mm thick
    Rear flange 24.7mm dia
    Length of guide spigot 70mm
    Dia of guide spigot 14mm
    Front of spigot rounded to approx hemisphere.

This guide "sits on top" of the rear plug and gives a little more compression to the spring, ie. slightly more power. However, the spring is just coil bound as the gun cocks. Gun is more accurate/easier to handle as recoil is more on axis /less haphazard.

Tomorrow, for incarnation 2, I'll be turning the rear flange of the guide down to 20mm dia to fit inside the rear plug, as did the spring originally. This should avoid the spring being totally coil bound and possibly improve the firing cycle even more.

I suggest you go straight to second option.
    Cheers
    Derek

I'm glad you're chuffed with the spring guide, sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the dimensions. I'd be interested to know how aluminium stands up to wearing by the action of the spring, I've made a few spring guides over the last few years and always used steel, but if aluminium does the job...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    I'm glad you're chuffed with the spring guide, sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the dimensions. I'd be interested to know how aluminium stands up to wearing by the action of the spring, I've made a few spring guides over the last few years and always used steel, but if aluminium does the job...

Cheers
    is Delrin a good material to use?
    I've seen it mentioned somewhere, can't remember who tho'

Quote Originally Posted by deathtrap100 View Post
    dear lord, this thread has gone on a long time,,,,,,, it started as a g10 thread lol
    and there still crap........

Russ

Rich from Mich uses a plastic for his Gamo spring guides, Tivar® 1000 Ultra High Molecular Weight, (UHMW-PE). He used to use Nylatron, whatever that is, but presumably found it lacking. Delrin, no idea.

I used alum because I had a length of bar left over from hang glider making days! It should wear OK because there is plenty of moly grease around.

The 20mm rear flange set back into the rear plug (incarnation 2) is the way to go. No spring binding, smooth cocking and for a springer, a very smooth and repeatable firing cycle. I have groups now and out of 30 odd one handed practice shots, had 4 (big) one-holers. Gun transformed and a pleasure to shoot!