Thread: Skan Bullpup

Skan Bullpup

Hi all
    A friend of mine has a Skan Bullpup in good condition, the only problem is it has no air reservoir inside the stock
    I have asked at John Knibbs' today with no luck, so does anybody on here know where we could get an air reservoir from, and possibly a decanting setup as well ?
    If not available new has anybody got a budy bottle they are willing to part with ?

All the best Mick

snipperuk Guest
    have you tried the maker of skans http://www.skanar.co.uk/

Thank you very much Snipperuk
    Will try them tomorrow.
    After looking at the website I now see why the chap at Knibbs' thought a Logun reservoir might fit.
    The reservoir we need is the thin one from the earlier model.
    Thanks again
    All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi all
    A friend of mine has a Skan Bullpup in good condition, the only problem is it has no air reservoir inside the stock
    I have asked at John Knibbs' today with no luck, so does anybody on here know where we could get an air reservoir from, and possibly a decanting setup as well ?
    If not available new has anybody got a budy bottle they are willing to part with ?

All the best Mick
    It won't just be a "Skan Bullpup", they do actually come in many different variations. Bullpup is the design layout of them all.
    Various different designs of air-cylinders exist, and without proper knowledge of what model this is it isn't possible to advise.

My guess is that this is pre-MK2 or MK2 as they all used the slimmest cylinder IIRC; a thicker one was used on the later Swift model.
    Latest models use a buddy-bottle, which I seem to remember being told is a re-valved S10 bottle.

I do have a MK2 cylinder, but also a MK2 of which it belongs and no spare, so unfortunately couldn't supply one.
    The fastest way to confirm what would would fit yours is to correctly I.D it.

Mike, who both builds all Skans and runs the business is on Holiday till early September I think it is.
    He is likely the only one who can help if a spare cylinder doesn't turn up.

Let me know if, you need help identifying what model it is.

skan

ive got 2 early skans and a 32, e mail me a pic of your gun , or put one on your thread and ill tell you what bottle it needs (hopefully) and dimensions etc

Hi bigjob I will try to get some pictures off to you if possible,
    I can't post in here as I'm completely computer illiterate

All the best Mick

Skan Bullpup

The serial number of the Skan is 116.
    My friend now tells me he would like to sell this gun or swap it.
    As i have no idea of its value could anyone give me a price guide.
    The gun is in overall good condition apart from the reservoir being missing.

All the best Mick

skan

Hi, I'd be interested in this have pm'd you cheers Roll

Skan pics

I've been in touch with Mick about his mates Skan, he emailed me pics which I have linked below.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1797/dscf1949ae0.jpg
    http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3870/dscf1950ym8.jpg

Is this a very early mark 2 and does it use the same bottle as the 1994 version with rubber or walnut grips?

Regards
    Kevin
    www.savedeathrowdogs.co.uk Very urgently need homes for: Male staff cross, approx 1 year old, will be neutered, very loving but not great with other dogs. Stuck in pound. 2) 2 year old male choc lab. 3) 2 year old cockerpoo. 4) 20 border collies .

The one I was shown from 1992 was rather different to that, and I believe these are from 1994, although I might be getting mixed up.
    It's worth around £300/£350 without bottle, more if spotless. Same model I have.

Hi Korium, I didn't post anymore infomation before because everything is purely my ASSUMPTIONS without solid proof & I didn't want to repeat the mistake of giving out dodgy information on the bbs, but now with other owners here I

was hoping to be able to try and work out as much info as possible on the early Skans because I've found next to nothing solid pre - Swift.

These are mine:
    http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2169/p1010201we9.jpg
    http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3254/p1010923he5.jpg

When I bought them I tried to find out as much info as possible but found absolutey nothing except a few semi related threads on here & the history page on the Skan website.
    History Here: http://www.skanar.co.uk/skanhist.htm

I made educated guesses on the below points, when I got mine:

1) Because mine are near identical to each other except for the Rubber / walnut grips & stock. I belive mine are 1994 MK2's due to grips & the non-removeable slotted mags.

2) I almost certain yours / Mick Mate's can't be any later as the '95 onwards is the Swift (I've seen pics / scans of mag reviews of the swift on here, defiantely not the same as yours). Later than that & the pump action got banned so

moved onto the pistol grip cocking we still see today.

3) I found an old pic on here of the same gun as yours but with a Falcon Scope & I think a purple backround.

I initialy thought probably the '93 model as the History Page said MK2 for both '93 & '94 models + they both look vaguely simliar. The description of "Custom rear extrusion, steel & aluminium stock with GRP grips seem to fit the gun in

the photo. But the slotted 98 shot mag part in the Skan description threw me off a bit as the gun in the pic (on here) clearly didn't have one. Now confused I thought could it be a '92 but seems unlikely as the history page implied it

looked like a pump action version of the '91 (MK 1?) which I thought looked totaly different to the MK2.

I belive as the story goes, the MK1 was initialy designed as a semi auto until the Home Office caught wind of it and had a "quiet word" which forced a design change to the side cocking. Allegedly the 1st few had weld marks where the

gas passages were blanked off.

4) I also found a few threads on here talking about a MK 2 "Transitional" Model although there is no mention of it on the Skan site or anywhere else. Seems it was more of a nickname from ownwers rather than from Mike.

Couldn't find pics of it but found some info, within the threads, implying the very 1st few came with the old "Flat 48" removable mags which were quickly changed to the fixed slotted 98 shot mags as seen in the pics of my guns.

As I have already said at the begining & will clearly state again: I have no real substance to back up what I have written above apart from the extremly limited infomation I have managed to find trawling through old posts on here & the

internet in general.

I think mine is the 1994 model, Koriums & Micks mate's is the 1993 model as Korium confirmed the '92 model looks totaly different

Can Korium or anybody else confirm / deny anything I have written or contribute any more details on the pump action & earlier Skans? As I am very interested in this particular era of the Skan rifles.

atb
    Kevin
    www.savedeathrowdogs.co.uk Very urgently need homes for: Male staff cross, approx 1 year old, will be neutered, very loving but not great with other dogs. Stuck in pound. 2) 2 year old male choc lab. 3) 2 year old cockerpoo. 4) 20 border collies .

Skan History

Hi Kevin
    I have had a dig through my old Airgun Worlds tonight and have found the copy with the first Skan gun test (May 1991).
    I will e-mail a copy of this to you tomorrow.
    Basically the gun is the same as my mates exept for the loading and cocking arrangement. The gun tested in Airgun World had a breach lock on the lefthand side of the forend and a cocking knob to the right. My mates gun has the sliding forend giving a pump action to cocking and loading.
    As the guns were handbuilt I assume upgrades to the design were brought in as and when they were thought of by the designer.
    From reading the write up it would appear the designer of the gun was Mike Childs, who also designed the Imperial Double Express. I have the original Airgun world gun test on this gun as well so I will send you a copy of this as the two guns are related.
    All the best Mick

Thanks Mick, much appreciated.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
    These are mine:
    http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2169/p1010201we9.jpg
    http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3254/p1010923he5.jpg

When I bought them I tried to find out as much info as possible but found absolutey nothing except a few semi related threads on here & the history page on the Skan website.
    History Here: http://www.skanar.co.uk/skanhist.htm

I made educated guesses on the below points, when I got mine:

1) Because mine are near identical to each other except for the Rubber / walnut grips & stock. I belive mine are 1994 MK2's due to grips & the non-removeable slotted mags.

2) I almost certain yours / Mick Mate's can't be any later as the '95 onwards is the Swift (I've seen pics / scans of mag reviews of the swift on here, defiantely not the same as yours). Later than that & the pump action got banned so

looked like a pump action version of the '91 (MK 1?) which I thought looked totaly different to the MK2.

I belive as the story goes, the MK1 was initialy designed as a semi auto until the Home Office caught wind of it and had a "quiet word" which forced a design change to the side cocking. Allegedly the 1st few had weld marks where the

gas passages were blanked off.

Couldn't find pics of it but found some info, within the threads, implying the very 1st few came with the old "Flat 48" removable mags which were quickly changed to the fixed slotted 98 shot mags as

Can Korium or anybody else confirm / deny anything I have written or contribute any more details on the pump action & earlier Skans? As I am very interested in this particular era of the Skan rifles.

atb
    Kevin

I'm getting a touch confused myself. I never really saw much of the fixed-magazine models and cannot advise on the earlier one's. What they were as far as I'm aware was larger versions of the standard carbines.

The Swift was the last pump-action model. I owned one myself. Production began is 1995 IIRC, and it had a larger variant too, or that was what featured in the brochure anyway. It wasn't a banned, but the home office took notice I believe.

No, they look quite similar or whatever mine does is quite similar to the MKI.
    Yes, it was apparently built as an SLR. Most have the marks I think or at least quite a few.

That is the variety of magazines mine uses.

I cannot definitely confirm much, but if you visit Mike with yours, he certainly could.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Kevin
    I have had a dig through my old Airgun Worlds tonight and have found the copy with the first Skan gun test (May 1991).
    I will e-mail a copy of this to you tomorrow.
    Basically the gun is the same as my mates exept for the loading and cocking arrangement. The gun tested in Airgun World had a breach lock on the lefthand side of the forend and a cocking knob to the right. My mates gun has the sliding forend giving a pump action to cocking and loading.
    As the guns were handbuilt I assume upgrades to the design were brought in as and when they were thought of by the designer.
    From reading the write up it would appear the designer of the gun was Mike Childs, who also designed the Imperial Double Express. I have the original Airgun world gun test on this gun as well so I will send you a copy of this as the two guns are related.
    All the best Mick
    That's the MKI. I had a similar article test of a MK2, but I think no longer. Yes, he designed the Imperial.