Thread: Rust

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex

Rust

I have a Patriot pistol. Its barrel was bare metal when I got it. Rather than have it blued I put it on the polishing wheel and it looks a treat, like polished stainless. I polished the brass up also and it too looks great. Is there a way to keep it looking like that, a coating of some kind? A laquer or similar that someone can recommend?
    Thanks
    Schony

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    A regular application of elbow grease is all that's required.

Black powder, or worse Pyrodex, will remove any coating and Pyrodex will even rust stainless steel.

Rust

Thanks Luddite, it was the elbow grease I was trying to avoid. Is that correct that pyrodex is worse than BP ?
    Alan

Don't scuff it. Mirror polished steel doesn't rust, rust can't start unless there is a flaw in the surface. That's why they used to mirror polish armour.

Brass will tarnish at the first sniff of sulphur, unless you apply some kind of lacquer, or plate it, (cobalt gold is hard wearing but makes your gun look like a bathroom fitting)

Rust

Thank you RobingHewitt, Polioshed steel doesnt rust, I never realised that. That does seem to confirm the fact that since I have polished the barrel it indeed hasnt rusted. I will be sure to keep it nive and clean and shiney. I am now after a lyman plains Pistol. These use iron fittings as I understand it so that solves the problem of brass tarnishing.